Cowells advert bravery

Advert

Cowells advert bravery

Home Forums Manual machine tools Cowells advert bravery

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Ian P
    Participant
      @ianp

In an idle moment I looked more closely than usual at the Cowells advert on the RH side of the screen. I appears to show wheel cutting in progress. Looking at the form of the teeth it appears to be a wheel for indexing rather than for meshing with a pinion.

What does look rather odd is the minimal amount of metal supporting the base of the teeth.

I wonder of the purpose of the staged(?) picture is to show the capability of their machine in some way.

Cowells Gear

Ian P

Advert
      Michael Gilligan
      Participant
        @michaelgilligan61133

What’s particularly interesting, Ian … is that the picture appears to be this one:

https://www.cowells.com/Gallery/V-MillPinion5.JPG

Which is illustrating the capability of their Vertical Mill.

See Gallery, here:

https://www.cowells.com/gallery.htm

MichaelG.

old mart
        Participant
          @oldmart

Funny that you noticed that, I have wondered about it ever since it first appeared. Also, I would support the wheel against the cutting forces, there is very little strength there.

Michael Gilligan
          Participant
            @michaelgilligan61133

I still don’t understand the logic of Cowells using the photo … it is quite clear from the higher-resolution version that if that expensive cutter was used to its intended depth, the wheel would disintegrate.

MichaelG.

Ian P
            Participant
              @ianp
              On Michael Gilligan Said:

I still don’t understand the logic of Cowells using the photo … it is quite clear from the higher-resolution version that if that expensive cutter was used to its intended depth, the wheel would disintegrate.

MichaelG.

Maybe the logic works!

I know I brought this subject up, but the mere fact we are discussing it here means that the Cowells advert is getting more coverage.

Unless there is some sort of optical illusion at play, it hard to see how that cutter has cut those teeth without the wheel having some additional support.

Ian P

Michael Gilligan
              Participant
                @michaelgilligan61133
                On Ian P Said:
                Maybe the logic works!
                I know I brought this subject up, but the mere fact we are discussing it here means that the Cowells advert is getting more coverage. […]

I shouldn’t be awake at this time, but I must link this:

https://thefutureplace.typepad.com/the_future_place/2010/08/youre-never-alone-with-a-stand-tarsk-things-every-researcher-should-know.html

MichaelG.

Hopper
                Participant
                  @hopper

So it’s a set-up photo for illustrative purposes in an advert. So what? So is almost every other photo in every other advert ever.

Food adverts for decades have not had any real food in them. There is a whole industry making plastic lookalikes that look better than the real thing. Or having a chef prepare a one-off from materials that look good but probably taste awful because the meat may not even be meat and the lettuce may well be plastic. Ditto the cheese. See below. And these days, Photoshop enhancement is the norm, whether the picture is the latest new car or a model in the latest pair of pants. For 100 years before that, airbrushing old black and white photos to enhance them was the norm. Look at any old Myford catalogue or brochure.

It’s advertising. Its connection with reality is tenuous at best. But it works. As Ian P noted already, here we all are talking about Cowells. Their photo was probably set up by the photographer, working with the marketing person. No machinists involved. Situation normal.

fastfoods-ads-vs-reality-bigmac

Michael Gilligan
                  Participant
                    @michaelgilligan61133

This does nothing to argue against your point, Hopper … but the credit on the Cowells  ‘Gallery’ states:

Wheel and pinion cutting on the Vertical Mill
                    (pictures courtesy of Angus Brown)

Who he, I wonder ?

MichaelG.

Hopper
                    Participant
                      @hopper

This does nothing to argue against your point, Hopper … but the credit on the Cowells  ‘Gallery’ states:

Who he, I wonder ?

MichaelG.

Probably Angus Brown, commercial, advertising and stock photographer. http://angusbrown.co.uk/

He seems to list a bit of engineering stuff among the feathers in his cap, eg Battersea Power Station etc. so may be that way inclined.

Michael Gilligan
                      Participant
                        @michaelgilligan61133
                        On Hopper Said:

Who he, I wonder ?

MichaelG.

Probably Angus Brown, commercial, advertising and stock photographer. http://angusbrown.co.uk/

He seems to list a bit of engineering stuff among the feathers in his cap, eg Battersea Power Station etc. so may be that way inclined.

Possibly ^^^

’though I was more inclined to think of this Angus Brown:

https://angusbrownclocks.co.uk/

not knowing, couldn’t say … which I why I left the question open.

MichaelG.

Hopper
                        Participant
                          @hopper

Could well be.  Photo on his webpage is very good quality. He no doubt knows his stuff mechanically too, including how to cut wheels etc. Maybe just a set up shot for illustration purposes. I have done the same more than once before.

His email is there on the link you posted. You could drop him a line and get the full explanation re his photo and its set up.

And could Angus Brown photographer and horologist be one and the same? Perhaps ask him that too.

Michael Gilligan
                          Participant
                            @michaelgilligan61133

I’m not really that interested, Hopper

I thought the Topic had only run to 01-June, but suddenly picked-up again yesterday.

MichaelG.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)