Corliss engine

Advert

Corliss engine

Home Forums Stationary engines Corliss engine

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    ZAPJACK
    Participant
      @zapjack

i present to you my current project.

I’s a Corliss steam from Coles.

Drawings are in fractional imperial inches. Not easy for a continental European.

I start the project 4 years ago, but I move two yers ago from Belgium to the Frech Riviera 700 miles further.

I’ve a lot of pictures, and present a couple of the best.

LeZap658796119

Advert
      Thor 🇳🇴
      Participant
        @thor

Your engine looks very nice.

Thor

AStroud
        Participant
          @astroud

Beautiful parts, I look forward to seeing the completed engine.

Andrew

ZAPJACK
          Participant
            @zapjack

Two misfired valves!
            The first difficulty is that the bores are different, by a few hundredths but still. Then the bore has a taper of 0.02mm by 50mm, this is unacceptable but real!
            Machining valves with -0.01mm clearance and taper is not a big problem.
            The first one, I missed because I was wrong in the dimensions on Y
            The second, I centered the spindle in X and Y but milling at 1/16″ or 1.50mm, the milling being 1.85mm real
            In fact, I should be running at 5600rpm but my Schaublin cannot run above 2000rpm. and the advance too fast.
            For the third test, I will take a saw cutter of 1mm and 20mm in diameter and “open” the slot then finish with the end mill, at maximum speed and minimum advance. It’s from his bullshit that we learn!. In the meantime, I paint! LZDSC_0303DSC_0305

Harry Wilkes
            Participant
              @harrywilkes58467

Looking good

H

<script src=”moz-extension://47cb7401-7907-4033-9172-9608686fb294/js/app.js” type=”text/javascript”></script>

ZAPJACK
              Participant
                @zapjack

Waiting for ordered tools, I start again.
                The first two images are tests to validate the direction of rotation in self-tightening, speed and depth.
                First, lathe machining, at a dimension + 0.03.
                Then finish with a flat file + 800 grit paper, to the exact dimension with “0” clearance. This is to finish with fine lapping paste afterwards.
                Then without disassembling the part, I transfer the chuck to the divider of my “13”
                First open with a 20mm, 1mm thick disc cutter. As a reminder, I need 1.58 finished by 7 deep.
                Then use a 1.5 end mill. Advance of 11mm/T and 2000rpm (maximum I can have)
                At this moment, I have already cut 2mm deep and I assure you that I am watching like milk on the fire!!
                Fortunately I only need two valves with an opening of 1/16″
                LeZap

DSC_0308DSC_0307DSC_0310

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)