Concert Post

Advert

Concert Post

Home Forums The Tea Room Concert Post

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Harry Wilkes
    Participant
      @harrywilkes58467

Gents it would be very useful if I could drill holes it a single slot concert fence post, where is the reinforcing normally would it be either side of the slot ? also what type of drill bit would be best for the job ?

Thanks

H

Advert
      Michael Gilligan
      Participant
        @michaelgilligan61133

I thought you were bringing some culture to the forum, Harry

”Concert Post”

’tis, however obviously a typo 🙁

So … to partly answer you question: The posts that I cut recently had four rods, spaced a little in from the four corners.

MichaelG

Harry Wilkes
        Participant
          @harrywilkes58467

Thanks Michael and I keep telling myself don’t write posts when your medication is wearing off otherwise you’ll look as thick as a

concrete fence posts 😁

H

JasonB
            @jasonb

There are often 4 thin wires in posts aranged in a square so drilling through the middle is generally OK if you want to fix a post to a wall

Brian Wood
            Participant
              @brianwood45127

And to answer Harry’s question on what drill bit to use. If he has an SDS drill then undoubtedly an SDS drill will do the business.

Brian

Michael Gilligan
              Participant
                @michaelgilligan61133

Two examples:

IMG_0184IMG_0183

MichaelG.

noel shelley
                Participant
                  @noelshelley55608

If you have an SDS drill machine be careful ! My Bosch hammer has a force of 4Kg. The impact may shatter the post then you will know exactly where the reinforcing rods are. SDS bits are sharpened / formed as a chisel edge NOT a cutting edge, great for drilling holes in concrete that is a big lump but for more fragile concrete not so clever ! An ordinary hand drill with so called hammer action will be slower but less violent. Good luck . Noel.

Harry Wilkes
                  Participant
                    @harrywilkes58467

Thanks for replies and photos decided I was going to struggle trying to drill the posts so called in a favour and obtained some RHS 🙂

H

<script src=”moz-extension://8b5e5601-585e-4ecb-ab53-6d6e57971c12/js/app.js” type=”text/javascript”></script>

Bo’sun
                    Participant
                      @bosun58570

Even though Harry has gone another route, this may be worthy of note.  Some while ago I attempted to drill into concrete with my trusty hammer drill.  After about an inch, all progress stopped.  Tried another bit, still no progress.  Borrowed an SDS drill and all was well.  Like a hot knife through butter.

According to someone, apparently “in the know”, I’d hit a piece of stone/flint, and the SDS impact operation made all the difference.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)