Comments (constructive) on the New Forum Software

Advert

Comments (constructive) on the New Forum Software

Home Forums New Forum Software questions, comments and Test Threads Comments (constructive) on the New Forum Software

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 873 total)
  • Author
    Samsaranda
    Participant
      @samsaranda

Bring back the old forum, I don’t like the new format, for someone who is suffering from cataracts I find it much more difficult to read.  Dave W

Advert
      JA
      Participant
        @ja

I have just posted a new topic on the forum. The system goes through another security check. Is this expected?

JA

Frances IoM
        Participant
          @francesiom58905

it’s both unstable and in many places a right pain to use – going thru checks every time I look back in;

too much white space – just have a simple access to lastest posting – too much space devoted to adverts + that huge top banner – very much a poor relation of the old site

JA
          Participant
            @ja
            On Journeyman said
            On JA said

I have just used the search facility to look for something on the laser cutting of steel. I got just over 2800 results!

It appears to find every instance of the word laser. Is this meant to happen?

JA

Try using inverted commas as in ‘laser cutting steel’ – came back with 122 entries

John

Just tried that. I still get the use of the phrase in articles.

How do I just search for “laser” in a title of a topic, please?

JA

Jss
            Participant
              @jss

<p style=”text-align: center;”>I am unable to access the forum on my iPad. Can’t get past the Verify you are human page. Is this telling me something? Having to use my mobile which is very awkward to say the least.</p>
              I do have VPN on the iPad, could this be the problem?

Zan
              Participant
                @zan

Oh dear. This gets worse.
                Where do I  find my posts. I asked a question.  And have no idea where it is

where is the search?

Why the magazine adverts in the middle of threads?

why do I need a list of statistics?

difficult to read

Richard Millington
                Participant
                  @richardmillington63972

Seems a lot brighter than it used to be. Viewing the classifieds are like looking through a letterbox.

Nicholas Farr
                  Participant
                    @nicholasfarr14254

Hi, you can find your old post from years back by going onto forums, then selecting one of the categories on the left that you know or think you know that you posted something, and you will get a lists of subjects to choose from, which will show you the number of pages there are, then click on one of the page numbers, or start from one end and scroll through all in turn, but you’ll need a good memory if you go that way.  Here’s one of my posts I found from August 2011 https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/topic/office-laminator-benefits-in-the-workshop/#post-73729

Regards Nick.

JasonB
                      @jasonb

Zan, if a recent post on this software go to your profile and it should be listed under activity which is the default it takes you to

Putting zan into the search box brings up a lot of your posts or replies to you

Zan
                      Participant
                        @zan

Thanks Jason. This took several attempts but why when it returns to the thread does it go to ypthe first post in the thread rather than most recent.   Tapping “latest actuvityL takes yo7 out of it al together
                        The redirect is very slow

SillyOldDuffer
                          @sillyoldduffer
                          On Nicholas Farr said

Hi, you can find your old post from years back by going onto forums, then selecting one of the categories on the left that you know or think you know that you posted something, and you will get a lists of subjects to choose from, which will show you the number of pages there are, then click on one of the page numbers, or start from one end and scroll through all in turn, but you’ll need a good memory if you go that way.  Here’s one of my posts I found from August 2011 https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/topic/office-laminator-benefits-in-the-workshop/#post-73729

Regards Nick.

Bug I think.  I expect Profile to list all member posts, but it currently only shows posts made since launch.

When I get access to the new bug reporting system, I’ll log it.

Searching for your user name seems to be best way of finding old forum posts at the moment, but I’m concerned the search is a little wonky too.  Not proven though!

Dave

Michael Gilligan
                          Participant
                            @michaelgilligan61133
                            On Zan said

where is the search?

at the upper-right of the useful part of this:

https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/

i.e. just below the adverts

Comment: It would help a lot if the Search box was visible on all or most pages

MichaelG.

P.S. … For amusement, try searching for search

Ady1
                            Participant
                              @ady1

If you click on a random thread after a while it does a cloudflare verification

Even if it knows who you are and logged in

JasonB
                                @jasonb
                                On Zan said

Thanks Jason. This took several attempts but why when it returns to the thread does it go to ypthe first post in the thread rather than most recent.   Tapping “latest actuvityL takes yo7 out of it al together
                                The redirect is very slow

Thats another one for Admin. Should take you to that reply.

I have told them they nee dto go through this topic and any others about the forum and add any bugs, requests etc to their new reporting system in addition to what the mods have already added, B***ered if I’m going to report 30 odd additional items

Craig Brown
                                Participant
                                  @craigbrown60096

I, like others, find the Cloudflare verification annoying. I view the forum on android mobile and I normally keep the site open as a permanent tab on my Chrome browser. It’s irritating having to a verification every time I dip in and out of the site.

Again I always viewed the old forum via the “latest posts” page. The latest activity page on the new forum is fine if you view frequently but due to the site being quite active then some posts or threads will be off the list before being viewed.

Last thing I have noticed, unsure if this is operator error or not but when I have accidentally clicked on the insert image button I am then unable to close the box. The X in the top right corner doesn’t work

Journeyman
                                  Participant
                                    @journeyman

Cloudflare refuses point blank to grant me access to the forum using the browser on my LG TV. Happily connects via my PC on the same network.

John

Journeyman
                                    Participant
                                      @journeyman

Search facility could be easily incorporated on the right column thus making it available everywhere.

John

Jason Ballamy
                                      Participant
                                        @jasonballamy
                                        On Craig Brown said

Last thing I have noticed, unsure if this is operator error or not but when I have accidentally clicked on the insert image button I am then unable to close the box. The X in the top right corner doesn’t work

X seems to work for me as mod and member

petro1head
                                        Participant
                                          @petro1head

Well done guys, notvan easy task and appreciate the effort you have put in

Harry Wilkes
                                          Participant
                                            @harrywilkes58467

Unable to gain access to the forum using my Samsung tablet and Samsung browser connects though if I use Google chrome.

Sorry don’t have anything positive to say but the Warco popup at the bottom of the page is a real pain.

H

Craig Brown
                                            Participant
                                              @craigbrown60096
                                              On Jason Ballamy said
                                              X seems to work for me as mod and member

Android mobile, Chrome browser? I have just updated the browser but still the same. The X to get rid of the pop up ads at the bottom of the screen works fine

Vic
                                              Participant
                                                @vic

The forum is very slow at the moment and the pop-up advert at the bottom of the page is extremely irritating!

Rex Hanman
                                                Participant
                                                  @rexhanman57403

When I click on “Forum” and scroll down The big blue and green banner disappears but on any other, such as “classifieds” or “Gallery” it remains, leaving less than half of the screen visible.

Same happens when I click on latest activity.

This means I can’t view anything without scrolling up and down whilst peering through a letterbox.

Vic
                                                  Participant
                                                    @vic

Advertising overload?!

IMG_7777

Ady1
                                                    Participant
                                                      @ady1

Profile pictures are weird too, I can upload one, but there’s no save-it option so it gets rejected

Jasons picture is suddenly upside-down in his third? post on this page

lol

There is some fettling to be done before this place is running smoothly

edit: I posted in here and the thread completely disappeared, had to go hunting for it from the forums link

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 873 total)