Comments (constructive) on the New Forum Software

Advert

Comments (constructive) on the New Forum Software

Home Forums New Forum Software questions, comments and Test Threads Comments (constructive) on the New Forum Software

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 873 total)
  • Author
    Ketan Swali
    Participant
      @ketanswali79440

Hi Nick and Phil,

That security process is a Cloudflare feature. It is robust, as I mentioned before. When we implemented it a few years ago for about a month, it drove me, my web developers and my customers crazy. We experienced all the issues mentioned above with speed/page change/login. The related data analysis reports from CF were also suspect. Ultimately we removed CF and chose a different route.

Ketan at ARC.

Advert
      Michael Gilligan
      Participant
        @michaelgilligan61133
        On JasonB said

JA’s profile shows “coming soon” as he has used an image of that text as his avatar.

I can read his profile as a mod, will try as a basic member

Thanks for that clarification, Jason

I will try to post a screenshot of the error message that I am getting as one of the riff-raff

MichaelG.

Nicholas Farr
        Participant
          @nicholasfarr14254

Hi Ketan, yes it’s starting to get my goat, and I think it’s more intrusive than the adverts, which at least they have related merit.

Regards Nick.

Michael Gilligan
          Participant
            @michaelgilligan61133

IMG_8936

Peter Greene
            Participant
              @petergreene36336

JasonB
                @jasonb

Thanks Michael, just trie dit myself as a peasant and got the same.

Admin please take note. It has been usual to be able to view a members Profile message, often useful as it can give an idea of location etc. Would have hoped that it shows this text that I can see as a Mod

ja mod

Nicholas Farr
                Participant
                  @nicholasfarr14254

Hi, I get that same message if I even click on my own profile.

Regards Nick.

Ketan Swali
                  Participant
                    @ketanswali79440

In my case, if I use the QUOTE feature, it puts my post into moderation. 🙂

Ketan Swali
                    Participant
                      @ketanswali79440
                      On Nicholas Farr said

Hi Ketan, yes it’s starting to get my goat, and I think it’s more intrusive than the adverts, which at least they have related merit.

Regards Nick.

Hi Nick,

The adverts are a separate issue.

For me, the banners are OTT, and to some extent remind me of HMEM forum. It is something I am taking up with Mortons. On the Desktop, for me, it looks like a specific advertisers website rather than ME forum.

The irritation is the continuous pop-up of an advert (no disrespect to the advertiser) on the responsive mobile phone platform, which even after you cancel the advert, pops up again when you change page, or depending on your phone iphone/android, it pops-up every time you scroll up and down on a page!. You wouldn’t know of ARC, Sarik, Cowells existence on the mobile phone in portrait mode, unless you scrolled to the bottom of the page.

ARC has requested for its advert to be removed, pending a reasonable solution.

Ketan at ARC.

Roy Vaughn
                      Participant
                        @royvaughn26060
                        On JasonB said
                        On Roy Vaughn said

Have the images which I uploaded on the old site been deleted, I can’t find them?

Also, how do I access my posts?

See this reply about albums

Click “profile” on the green bar and the default page that comes up is your activity (posts)

Just one post there, does this mean that nothing from the old site has been copied over?  Surely we have not lost all that invaluable material accumulated over the years (I don’t mean mine)?

P.S. The notification via email does not appear to work yet for me.

Journeyman
                        Participant
                          @journeyman

Just one post there, does this mean that nothing from the old site has been copied over?  Surely we have not lost all that invaluable material accumulated over the years (I don’t mean mine)?

No, all the old posts are still there and any images that were in them are still attached. Finding old posts is another matter, pressing profile on the green bar brings up your posts in the new version of the forum but doesn’t seem to include the older posts.

John

speelwerk
                          Participant
                            @speelwerk

Does not look very user friendly to me, hopefully will get used to it. Niko.

Neil Wyatt
                              @neilwyatt

I posted a Gif as a test and some random unparsed html appeared this is a screenshot.

Screenshot_20231020_165305_Firefox

pgk pgk
                              Participant
                                @pgkpgk17461

Regards Nick.

Ditto. A lot about the new forum will be a matter of familiarity but I’d guess most of the slowness is Cloudfare

pgk

SillyOldDuffer
                                  @sillyoldduffer
                                  On Roy Vaughn said
                                  On JasonB said
                                  On Roy Vaughn said

Have the images which I uploaded on the old site been deleted, I can’t find them?

Also, how do I access my posts?

See this reply about albums

Click “profile” on the green bar and the default page that comes up is your activity (posts)

Hi Roy,

looks like the new site Profile is only showing posts since go-live, which I think is a bug.

According to the Moderator Dashboard, you have made no posts at all.  I think that’s also a bug!

However, if I use the Moderator Dashboard to look for Topics started by your good self, it finds three, which could be right.

I think the posts have transferred OK, but are difficult to find.   If you can remember which topic they’re in, your posts should be accessible through that route, though it’s pretty cumbersome.   Searching for ‘Vaughn’ is easier, but I’m not sure it finds everything.  I had over 10000 posts on the old forum and searching for SillyOldDuffer comes back with 5399 hits.  Hmmm.

Gold star for finding at least two, maybe three, serious bugs in one go!  I’ll report them – a new reporting system was set up earlier today and I have get in and to learn how to use it!

Investigating your email problem – watch for a Message

Dave

Journeyman
                                  Participant
                                    @journeyman

I note that the ‘Number of Posts’ function seems to have gone AWOL. Whilst not critical I feel it helps a bit to know whether the ‘poster’ is a regular, prolific or one off writer. Perhaps adopt a ranking system that some forums use so we have eg.
                                    Moderator – Guru – Contributor – Newbie
                                    or some such ranking system. Just a thought

John

Graham Meek
                                    Participant
                                      @grahammeek88282
                                      On JasonB said

Green bar being mentioned is the one along thetop with “forums – Profile – etc” just like the old forum had. You don’t get the orange onein the screen shot below, just the green

green

Sorry Jason,

The Green bar I see now, I thought you were talking about the Date, Reply,Quote bar. By the way your screen shot did not show. As regards Orange I cannot comment as I don’t see that.

Regards

Gray,

Journeyman
                                      Participant
                                        @journeyman

Agree with others that Cloudflare is causing more problems than enough, particularly the slow running.

John

Ketan Swali
                                        Participant
                                          @ketanswali79440

Dave (SOD)

It is difficult to say how many of the so called bugs are really bugs, or due to CF (Cloudflare). This is something we came across.

Once you do something – an action – it is supposed to update something in your account or somewhere on the site. There will be a delay whilst CF checks to see if it is happy with what you did, but because of the delay, the place which is supposed to update failed to do so because of possible time out creating an internal error.

The only way the developers will be able to check if the bugs you report are really bugs is by testing the site (on test site) outside the protection of live site which is currently using CF, to ascertain what is or isn’t a bug.

So it is my belief that if the site developers try to fix the bugs on the CF linked live site, the results will be variable because of the different site connection speeds. It might work for them, but fail for the user and so on.

Ketan at ARC

Journeyman
                                          Participant
                                            @journeyman

I note that the Right Column is largely empty. As the forum is using WordPress with the bbPress plugin perhaps when things calm down a bit some research might go into populating the column with some of the more useful WordPress widgets and plugins for example ‘latest posts’, ‘suggested posts’, ‘Search by Month’

There are loads of options and could add a good deal of usability to the forum.

John

Ady1
                                            Participant
                                              @ady1

The “latest posts” button seems to log you out

JA
                                              Participant
                                                @ja

I have just used the search facility to look for something on the laser cutting of steel. I got just over 2800 results!

It appears to find every instance of the word laser. Is this meant to happen?

JA

SillyOldDuffer
                                                  @sillyoldduffer
                                                  On Ketan Swali said

Dave (SOD)

It is difficult to say how many of the so called bugs are really bugs, or due to CF. This is something we came across.

Once you do something – an action – it is supposed to update something in your account or somewhere on the site. There will be a delay whilst CF checks to see if it is happy with what you did, but because of the delay, the place which is supposed to update failed to do so because of possible time out creating an internal error.

The only way the developers will be able to check if the bugs you report are really bugs is by testing the site (on test site) outside the protection of live site which is currently using CF, to ascertain what is or isn’t a bug.

So it is my belief that if the site developers try to fix the bugs on the CF linked live site, the results will be variable because of the different site connection speeds. It might work for them, but fail for the user and so on.

Ketan at ARC

An interesting point, and quite possible.  I’m not party to Morton’s technical solution and can only guess based on previous painful experience.

Website services timing out because of network or security gateway delays could cause the dreaded ‘undefined behaviour’, which often explains why some bugs mysteriously come and go.

I have no experience of Cloudflare other than as a user here.  The way it repeatedly asks me to confirm I’m human mid-session is very annoying, not least because it wastes about 20 seconds every time!  However, poor performance could be hardware, not enough memory or cpu, or slow IO etc.  My money is on software issues – things in the configuration that whack the server, such as wasteful database queries, inadequate buffering, too many bells and whistles, inefficient plug-ins, garbage collection problems, or higher payloads than the designer expected.  Time will tell.

Dave

Journeyman
                                                  Participant
                                                    @journeyman
                                                    On JA said

I have just used the search facility to look for something on the laser cutting of steel. I got just over 2800 results!

It appears to find every instance of the word laser. Is this meant to happen?

JA

Try using inverted commas as in ‘laser cutting steel’ – came back with 122 entries

John

SillyOldDuffer
                                                      @sillyoldduffer
                                                      On Journeyman said

I note that the Right Column is largely empty. As the forum is using WordPress with the bbPress plugin perhaps when things calm down a bit some research might go into populating the column with some of the more useful WordPress widgets and plugins for example ‘latest posts’, ‘suggested posts’, ‘Search by Month’

There are loads of options and could add a good deal of usability to the forum.

John

Only empty because ‘Newest Topics’ and ‘Active Topics’ have been removed temporarily as part of the investigation into performance problems!  ‘Active Posts’ was similar to what the old forum provided, and I hope it comes back soon.   In the meantime, the Blue ‘Latest Activity’ button top-left is a work-around.

Dave

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 873 total)