Comments (constructive) on the New Forum Software

Advert

Comments (constructive) on the New Forum Software

Home Forums New Forum Software questions, comments and Test Threads Comments (constructive) on the New Forum Software

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 873 total)
  • Author
    Graham Meek
    Participant
      @grahammeek88282
      On JasonB said
      On Roy Vaughn said

Have the images which I uploaded on the old site been deleted, I can’t find them?

Also, how do I access my posts?

See this reply about albums

Click “profile” on the green bar and the default page that comes up is your activity (posts)

While I have played around with my Google Chrome, and Microsoft Edge to try and tone down the screen with little success. I must report I am not seeing any “green bars”, only a very pale grey.

Regards

Gray,

Advert
      JasonB
        @jasonb

Green bar being mentioned is the one along thetop with “forums – Profile – etc” just like the old forum had. You don’t get the orange onein the screen shot below, just the green

green

KEITH BEAUMONT
        Participant
          @keithbeaumont45476

I cannot access any of my previous  threads or photos. Have they vanished in the new set up?

Keith Beaumont

JasonB
            @jasonb
            On KEITH BEAUMONT said

I cannot access any of my previous  threads or photos. Have they vanished in the new set up?

Keith Beaumont

See this reply

Wink Hackman
            Participant
              @winkhackman25989

Topic headers appear in a rather pale blue – same colour as the banner at top of screen.  Could they be a darker blue to increase contrast please?

Neil Wyatt
                @neilwyatt

I have asked if the fonts can be changed. It was fixed a while ago, but they seem to have reverted so that quotes are over-emphasised and ordinary replies are small and hard to read

Neil

Martin King 2
                Participant
                  @martinking2

Latest Activity link appears not to work?

Martin

Philip Rowe
                  Participant
                    @philiprowe13116

Does anyone else get a “Checking the security of your connection” message every time I look at anything?  This takes anything between 10 and 25 seconds to do and is becoming a right pita! That and the constant advertisement flashing up each time I look at a different page.

Phil

Dom
                    Participant
                      @dominicwatson41373

Guess this is repeating what has already been said but not sure where else to voice my concern:

• forum is loading very slowly
                      • the pop up ad is very annoying, the static ads at the bottom are fine and provide good links to suppliers but I find myself not wanting to use the supplier on the pop up out of principal (I know it’s not there fault and I will of course still use them but it’s not doing them any favours).

Would it be possible to only see the pop up once for each visit to the forum? Is there an alternative way for the forum to generate revenue for presumably running costs?

On a personal level, from my wife’s experience on forums as a blind user, I know that pop up ads cause havoc with screen readers and it would be good to have an accessible option.

Thank you to all who enable this great resource to exist, I understand that a lot of hard work goes into the creation and upkeep.

PatJ
                      Participant
                        @patj87806

I see some definite improvements, such as being able to load multiple drawings all at once.

That is perhaps the best improvement I have seen, and much needed.

The other issues will have to be sorted out.

I have written quite a bit of software on a hobby and semi-business level.

I took over the recordkeeping for a running group of 1,500 folks, and I wrote the software to sort by age group, time, overall standings, etc. over a 10 race period.

Lots of data.

When I published the first set of data, I had several bugs in the software, and so the results got jumbled.

You would have thought the world was coming to an end; LOL these running folks are SERIOUS about their results.

The howling and derision were unbelieveable, and I had to remind everyone we were going from a manual card-based system to a computer program, and on top of that I was a volunteer working free, and spending a lot of time trying to make the running club better.

I fixed the bugs by the second race, and it was smooth sailing after that.

One indignant woman called me up and said “I am a lawyer”.

I said “That is great, your just another runner to the rest of us in this club, and I am a volunteer, so lighten up lady”.

She said “Sorry I am new to the club”.

Forge ahead folks; you have my support.

I will chuck up some cash too if necessary.

This must be done, no matter how painful.

JA
                        Participant
                          @ja

My profile was littered with punctuation code. I have successfully removed them but note that I can only see my profile when I edit it. I am unable to see it using view. The box is ticked to open viewing.

JasonB – I cannot see your profile.

JA

Michael Gilligan
                          Participant
                            @michaelgilligan61133

I don’t know if this is any help, but I have just tried to look at JA’s public profile

The ‘Coming Soon’ message was a surprise, but I can’t even post the screenshot that I took of it … Can only suggest that others take the same action, to view it for themselves.

MichaelG.

Paul L
                            Participant
                              @paull58212

Is it possible to make links open in a new tab / window?

Ketan Swali
                              Participant
                                @ketanswali79440

Cloudflare

Reply to Ian on his original thread has gone into moderation. So I am posting it here:

Ian,

Its not you or your ipad. It is more than likely to be Cloudflare.

As far as I am concerned, there are variable issues speed/login/change page error/delay, many of which I have experienced before with Cloudflare.

Until and unless the site developers see and realise this, they will keep going round and around in circles, thinking its their own fault, or the forum visitor who has an issue with their ip/service provider etc.

Cloudflare is robust and expensive, but if they are asked to provide an explanation, the responses will be less then helpful, and they will request more money for a plan upgrade. If and when Cloudflare is removed, hopefully a lot of the reported issues will start resolving themselves.

Ketan at ARC.

Michael Gilligan
                                Participant
                                  @michaelgilligan61133
                                  On Paul L said

That would presumably depend upon your operating system

… it’s certainly possible on mine.

On the iPad it simply requires a ‘long press’ on the link to bring-up a menu

MichaelG.

JasonB
                                    @jasonb
                                    On Neil Wyatt said

I have asked if the fonts can be changed. It was fixed a while ago, but they seem to have reverted so that quotes are over-emphasised and ordinary replies are small and hard to read

Neil

No Neil, this IS the better version we have been testing for a couple of weeks, it was worse at the very start but only those who have put in the time will know that. Still not good though as the active mods keep telling admin

JasonB
                                      @jasonb

JA’s profile shows “coming soon” as he has used an image of that text as his avatar.

I can read his profile as a mod, will try as a basic member

JasonB
                                        @jasonb
                                        On Paul L said

Right click and select “open in new tab”

PatJ
                                        Participant
                                          @patj87806

Wow, look at that cool avatar.

We are on a roll !

Ady1
                                          Participant
                                            @ady1

Some of us old duffers are going to struggle with this place at first but we’ll get a better picture of things in a month or so

It’s just the lack of familiarity

Ketan Swali
                                            Participant
                                              @ketanswali79440

I think that the UNPAID moderators – Jason and Dave (SOD) have done a great job beta testing, and bringing issues to the attention of the site developers, for them to review.

The questions and answers I see on this thread have been repeated countless times, and both Jason and SOD have mentioned that the issues have been brought up during testing, and post launch.

Having gone through a similar process in the past, I can say that the experience is stressful.

Considering the above, I feel that SOD and Jason have done more than enough, and gone well beyond their UNPAID duties.

In my opinion, there is enough feedback on this thread for the technical team behind this forum to review, and perhaps this thread should be closed, to save the UNPAID MODERATORS repeating themselves.

Thereafter, anyone who asks the same questions can be helped by being referred back to this thread for answers.

Ketan at ARC.

JasonB
                                                @jasonb

Thanks Ketan but I think keeping it all in one place makes it easier to keep track of hence me adding stickies to the top of every topic, still does not stop some.

Ketan Swali
                                                Participant
                                                  @ketanswali79440
                                                  On JasonB said

Thanks Ketan but I think keeping it all in one place makes it easier to keep track of hence me adding stickies to the top of every topic, still does not stop some.

Oh dear,

I understand.

In that case, I really wish both you and SOD good luck, and hope that the developers can deal with the issues raised as early as possible. Personal experience suggests that this will take time. For the sake of your and SODs sanity, I hope I am wrong.

Ketan at ARC.

Nicholas Farr
                                                  Participant
                                                    @nicholasfarr14254
                                                    On Philip Rowe said

Does anyone else get a “Checking the security of your connection” message every time I look at anything?  This takes anything between 10 and 25 seconds to do and is becoming a right pita! That and the constant advertisement flashing up each time I look at a different page.

Phil

Hi Phillip, yes that pesky box keeps popping up for no apparent reason every now and again, whether logged in or not, don’t know how many times I have to tell it I’m not a robot, with that and those stupid square quiz boxes, I can see it will turn a lot of people off from posting or even visiting.

Regards Nick.

Nicholas Farr
                                                    Participant
                                                      @nicholasfarr14254

Hi, I do agree with Ketan’s comments about the unpaid moderators above.

Regards Nick.

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 873 total)