Comments (constructive) on the New Forum Software

Advert

Comments (constructive) on the New Forum Software

Home Forums New Forum Software questions, comments and Test Threads Comments (constructive) on the New Forum Software

Viewing 25 posts - 651 through 675 (of 873 total)
  • Author
    KEITH BEAUMONT
    Participant
      @keithbeaumont45476

I am obviously aware of the slowness of the new site,but I deliberately did not mention it as I knew it was  an on going problem. My habit has always been to look up the site ,at least once a day and read the latest posts to see if I can help. If so I log in. I expect many more of us do the same thing.  At this time, I find I can do just that again,with rapid page change, PROVIDING, I have not logged in. Once I have done that, things slow down again.So ,I am back to reading latest posts, without logging in, for the moment,but clearly improvements are being made and I think we should be patient,before deciding to give up.

Keith

Advert
      Ady1
      Participant
        @ady1

Very fast now, unless you log in, lol

My overall connection has been really bad everywhere today except this place which goes like a rocket

Latest posts on the right hand side of the page is nice

Getting better and more user friendly fast now

peak4
        Participant
          @peak4
          On KEITH BEAUMONT Said:

I am obviously aware of the slowness of the new site,but I deliberately did not mention it as I knew it was  an on going problem. My habit has always been to look up the site ,at least once a day and read the latest posts to see if I can help. If so I log in. I expect many more of us do the same thing.  At this time, I find I can do just that again,with rapid page change, PROVIDING, I have not logged in. Once I have done that, things slow down again.So ,I am back to reading latest posts, without logging in, for the moment,but clearly improvements are being made and I think we should be patient,before deciding to give up.

Keith

Well spotted, I’ve just tried this; when logged out, and accessing any of the site, I get an almost instantaneous screen refresh, even on Forums and individual posts or topics.
          There is however a delay of about 7 seconds when I try and access a post or topic via the Latest Replies list, but still pretty quick, and nothing like the repeatable 35 second delay I was documenting earlier.

Now logging in again, I seem to get a fast response on the main site, but a 7 second delay trying to access the forum directly.

Here’s the weird part.
          There seems to be a slightly different Latest Posts list depending on whether I’m logged in or not.

Logged in (on Pale Moon browser) I could see Ady’s post just after yours on Page 27; forget the actual times shown on the screen, It’s a while since I took the screenshots, though they are broadly contemporaneous between different browsers
          screenshot Ady P27

However, when logged out, I get a different Latest posts; I have just done a screen refresh and also clicked on latest posts to check

screenshot Bernard P26

If I click on that link for Bernard, whilst still logged out, that’s where I go

screenshot Bernard P26 clicked

That is the latest post I can find.

If however I manually update the URL on my browser’s address bar, since I know P27 does exist.
          N.B. I’m still logged out there.
          I now get your post, even though it wasn’t showing on the previous Latest Replies list
          screenshot Ady P27 -2 logged out

I have no idea what’s going on, but certainly different Latest posts when I’m logged in to logged out, though the speed id far better when logged out.

Bill

peak4
          Participant
            @peak4

To follow on from the above.
            Whilst logged out, I’ve just taken this screenshot from Forums (Green Bar) > Latest Replies (Blue Button)
            I took the screenshot at about 20:40: look at the time of the latest post top Right

image_2023-11-07_204318485

I’ve now logged in (obviously as I’m posting), and just taken this screenshot a minute or so later, from the same Blue Button link

image_2023-11-07_204620065

Seems to be a different current timed list when logged in.

Edit, I’ve just logged out again, and re-visited the same Latest Replies; I’ll not bother with the screenshot, but it is still topped with David’s post  at 20:01

I’m now back to wondering if the performance when logged out is faster, because the “Latest Replies” list isn’t being contemporaneously updated; the list displayed is at least 40 minutes older.

Bill

Zan
            Participant
              @zan

Getting better, the old method of seeing current activity has returned, but it is still difficult to read. Font is too small, background too bright

no means of seeing if you have visited the thread   But. It’s improving. Still very slow.
              can’t find search

peak4
              Participant
                @peak4
                On Zan Said:

Getting better, the old method of seeing current activity has returned, but it is still difficult to read. Font is too small, background too bright

no means of seeing if you have visited the thread   But. It’s improving. Still very slow.
                can’t find search

I can at least help you with that bit. Forums (from Green or Blue bar) Not Latest Replies.

image_2023-11-08_012121454

Alternatively, click on your own, or someone else’s’ profile; from here you can search either your post, or their post, topics started replies etc
                Hard to see the search box sometimes, as the contrast is too low.

image_2023-11-08_012438830

Bill

Michael Gilligan
                Participant
                  @michaelgilligan61133

It seems that enormous improvements have been made overnight … but here’s an oddity:

If I view this page in portrait format on the iPad, and scroll down … I see this:

IMG_9040

[ note that I have cropped the height, but am showing the entire width ]

1. As indicated by my red arrow, the left edge of the list is not visible.
                  2. this poor presentation is, however, corrected if I ‘View full reply list’ using the link I have outlined in green.

MichaelG.

Edit: __ for the avoidance of doubt … the display in landscape format is fine; the frame-width error is only in portrait.

Michael Gilligan
                  Participant
                    @michaelgilligan61133

Everybody’s favourite … ‘Latest Replies’ in the right sidebar is taking the reader to the first post in a Topic NOT to the latest reply.

Correcting this would, I am very sure, spread great happiness !!

MichaelG.

modeng2000
                    Participant
                      @modeng2000

I am taken to the last post.

John

Anonymous

Still here, still not sorted “Delete Account.” 🙁

Clive Brown 1
                        Participant
                          @clivebrown1
                          On modeng2000 Said:

John

Seems somewhat random with me, not always the latest post if I’m not logged on. The speed of the forum is still woeful if i’m logged on, bur quite rapid if I’m not, which doesn’t encourage active participation.

John Hinkley
                          Participant
                            @johnhinkley26699

Duck!!  Here comes another flying hammer.

I would loke to add the following observation.  When not logged in, clicking on a latest topic seems to direct me to the latest reply, but only if there is one page of replies.  It directs me to the first reply at the top of the last PAGE of replies if there are multiple pages for that topic.  Logging in (to make this comment) caused a delayed response in loading the relevant page, BUT took me to the actual last post.  In this case “Bezzer”.

John

Michael Gilligan
                            Participant
                              @michaelgilligan61133
                              On modeng2000 Said:

John

That’s nice for you, John

… I’ve just checked again and it doesn’t work like that for me

[ iPad in landscape mode ]

MichaelG.

John Hinkley
                              Participant
                                @johnhinkley26699

Hang on while I retrieve my hammer!  I’ve just logged on again to check my comment, above, was submitted OK as it just took so long to appear.  It was, but didn’t appear on the Latest Posts page, only when I clicked on Latest Replies did it show!  I’m confused (.com).  I still seems all over the place, so I’ll live with viewing without logging on, though I  can’t help thinking that I might be missing some postings by doing so.  Time, I hope, will see it all settle down and we can get back to how it used to be.

I’m going to try posting on the “What did you do today” thread, now and see how that fares.

John

Edit:  that submission took about 20 seconds to be “accepted”, but it did, eventually appear.

KEITH BEAUMONT
                                Participant
                                  @keithbeaumont45476

Michael G,  The trick to get you to the Latest of the latest post is to click on the date on the right side.

Keith.

PS, Can anyone tell me what a “BOT” is

Michael Gilligan
                                  Participant
                                    @michaelgilligan61133
                                    On KEITH BEAUMONT Said:

Michael G,  The trick to get you to the Latest of the latest post is to click on the date on the right side.

Keith.

PS, Can anyone tell me what a “BOT” is

Sorry, Keith … I was talking quite explicitly about the links in the Sidebar

IMG_9042

I know how the other list works … I have explained it to others

https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/topic/comments-constructive-on-the-new-forum-software/page/26/#post-688122

MichaelG.

peak4
                                    Participant
                                      @peak4
                                      On John Hinkley Said:

Hang on while I retrieve my hammer!  I’ve just logged on again to check my comment, above, was submitted OK as it just took so long to appear.  It was, but didn’t appear on the Latest Posts page, only when I clicked on Latest Replies did it show!  I’m confused (.com).  I still seems all over the place, so I’ll live with viewing without logging on, though I  can’t help thinking that I might be missing some postings by doing so.  Time, I hope, will see it all settle down and we can get back to how it used to be.

I’m going to try posting on the “What did you do today” thread, now and see how that fares.

John

Edit:  that submission took about 20 seconds to be “accepted”, but it did, eventually appear.

John, what do you mean by Latest Posts page; I only see “Latest Replies”, both white writing in a blue box.
                                      One contains a hyperlink to a list of Latest Replies at the foot of the page you were on when you pressed it.

The other, more angular one, is just a narrow banner on the right hand side (or maybe in a side Bar) below which are a series of blue links to the first page of any of the “Latest Replies” topics.
                                      Maybe confusingly, both “Latest Replies” are the same colour, the square cornered oblong box is just a banner, whereas the one with rounded off corners is a pressable button.

Unfortunately, there doesn’t seem to be any consistency in that, as the “Search” button, is also blue with white writing, but has square corners.

N.B. I’m still seeing the same as last night.
                                      The actual full Latest Replies list displays different versions depending on whether you are logged in or not.
                                      The logged-out version is older, and not fully updated.

Bill

John Hinkley
                                      Participant
                                        @johnhinkley26699

Bill,

My mistake.  I’ve been seeing Latest posts for so long when visiting the site since its revival, that’s what I saw when clicking on the Forums link.  Didn’t notice that it had changed to Latest replies.

I REALLY do need to go to Specsavers.

John

Nicholas Farr
                                        Participant
                                          @nicholasfarr14254

Hi, I get the same slow loading when logged in, and much faster when not logged in, also when clicking on those  “Latest Replies”, if there is more than one page, it takes me to the oldest page and not the page with the latest reply, and it starts with the oldest post on every page and still not onto the latest reply, so it’s nowhere near as good as the latest post that was on the old forum, and you don’t see who has made the latest reply in the list like you did in the old one. Even submitting a reply is quite slow. Oh! even refreshing these pages is just as slow.

Regards Nick.

Michael Gilligan
                                          Participant
                                            @michaelgilligan61133
                                            On John Hinkley Said:

…  I’ve been seeing Latest posts for so long when visiting the site since its revival, that’s what I saw …

You’re in good company, John … Ady [and I’m sure many others of us] did the same:

See my screenshot above.

MichaelG.

peak4
                                            Participant
                                              @peak4
                                              On Nicholas Farr Said:

Hi, I get the same slow loading when logged in, and much faster when not logged in, also when clicking on those  “Latest Replies”, if there is more than one page, it takes me to the oldest page and not the page with the latest reply, and it starts with the oldest post on every page and still not onto the latest reply, so it’s nowhere near as good as the latest post that was on the old forum, and you don’t see who has made the latest reply in the list like you did in the old one. Even submitting a reply is quite slow. Oh! even refreshing these pages is just as slow.

Regards Nick.

Nick, try using the Latest Replies button, with the rounded corners,

image_2023-11-08_123419727

Rather than the list of latest replies under the square cornered banner; not a button.

image_2023-11-08_123513568

The former will lead you to a current list, if you’re logged in, or an out of date one if you’re logged out

image_2023-11-08_123727202

Fuschia circle takes you to the start of the topic, Blue circle take you to the actual latest reply.
                                              Michael has pointed this out with better diagrams than me.

N.B. Unlike previously, the Latest Replies Button just seems to direct you to the list of replies lower down the same page, as per my final screenshot; it may or may not be current.
                                              If you’ve had that page/tab open for some time. and the latest replies list is displayed below an open topic, it does not re-generate the list, but just sends you to the version of the list it generated previously.
                                              Refreshing the page generates a new current list, or coming back out to “Forums”, and pressing Latest Replies does generate a new list.

This next comment only applies if you’re logged in;
                                              From what I’ve been able to work out, if the screen refreshes immediately you press the “Latest Replies” button, then it’s just re-directing you to the list it prepared previously.
                                              If there is a long time delay, it’s re-compiling to a current list.

Bill

Colin Heseltine
                                              Participant
                                                @colinheseltine48622

I had not spotted the Latest Replies on the sidebar, possibly because it is too far down the page.  It would be a lot better if it was above the adverts, possibly just below the latest issues advert.

Colin

File Handle
                                                Participant
                                                  @filehandle

Definitely getting better, but still a bit slow in places. Is this coding or the database being slow.
                                                  Used it on my Android phone today – the first time I have not given up in frustration.
                                                  Yes it is different from the old version, but it is slowly becoming more usable.

vic newey
                                                  Participant
                                                    @vicnewey60017
                                                    On JasonB Said:

I quite like having a latest relies list below the end of each topic, saves having to wait for the slow back button or clicking on “more latest posts” as we had on the old forum at the top and bottom of each thread as you read through the recent activity.

But this might well be part of or even the cause of the problem with slow page loading, it has to load multiple links to all the pages and links to the posters names, links to the board they are on etc. The previous forum had the ready built software to run it, albeit a bit outdated, whereas this one is seemingly home made

JA
                                                    Participant
                                                      @ja

If I start a new topic how does anyone see it if the the entry is by viewing “Latest Replies”?

I am sure I have got something wrong here.

Please could I view other people’s profiles. Also it would be nice to know how many postings on the forum they have made.

JA

Viewing 25 posts - 651 through 675 (of 873 total)