Comments (constructive) on the New Forum Software

Advert

Comments (constructive) on the New Forum Software

Home Forums New Forum Software questions, comments and Test Threads Comments (constructive) on the New Forum Software

Viewing 25 posts - 601 through 625 (of 873 total)
  • Author
    peak4
    Participant
      @peak4

Here you go, the dodgy Latest Replies button hyperlink( from the top of this page) takes you here

image_2023-11-06_122237588

Whereas the good and working one from Forums (green bar) > “Latest Replies” takes you here

image_2023-11-06_122515792
      Note the difference in the URL

Also, any post navigation which involves going via Latest Replies, is even more like wading through treacle than it used to be.

Bill

Advert
      JasonB
        @jasonb
        On Ian P Said:
        On SillyOldDuffer Said:
        On JasonB Said:

Was there a ‘call to arms’ message on the old forum that I missed?.

Ian P

Yes, what you missed

Michael Gilligan
        Participant
          @michaelgilligan61133

It may conceivably work out O.K. in the end, Bill … but the sort of thing that you are seeing is typical of what puts ‘big business’ off bespoke development of applications from “open-source software with numerous plug plug-ins available” [<i>or whatever we choose to call it</i>] … Things break unexpectedly, when people are innocently trying to tweak them … partly because it is not all coherently documented and tested as a single product.

MichaelG.

peak4
          Participant
            @peak4

In case anyone missed what’s just happened; I spotted Jason’s last post and went to read it.
            After about 1½ minutes wait time, I was presented with the Cloudflare screen; A Timeout occurred 524.
            (Yesterday’s Cloudflare error was Connection timed Out 522 )
            This happened several times, although the main header page of the site was responding OK, albeit slowly; I could access Features, Workshop, Classifieds etc. but not Forum, from either green or blue bars with only a few seconds delay.

As I mentioned previously;
            Also, any post navigation which involves going via Latest Replies, is even more like wading through treacle than it used to be.

The time delay between “Latest Replies” button, or via “back screen” to latest replies, and the screen refresh was over 1 minute, so I guess quite close to a time-out.

Edit, submitting the above post took at least 30 seconds for the screen refresh; pressing the edit button to add this timing took about 20 seconds.

Bill

peak4
            Participant
              @peak4
              On Michael Gilligan Said:

It may conceivably work out O.K. in the end, Bill … but the sort of thing that you are seeing is typical of what puts ‘big business’ off bespoke development of applications from “open-source software with numerous plug plug-ins available” [<i>or whatever we choose to call it</i>] … Things break unexpectedly, when people are innocently trying to tweak them … partly because it is not all coherently documented and tested as a single product.

MichaelG.

Yes I appreciate that, but we still have the problem, that unless someone highlights these issues to the developers, they won’t know that they exist.
              My own log of issues runs to something over 30 lines, but some will now have been cured, some not acted upon, and others morphed into a different problem in an effort to cure a previous one.
              Bill

Michael Gilligan
              Participant
                @michaelgilligan61133

Interesting that you actually saw my post, Bill … The system appeared to be still struggling to submit it at 13:24 so I gave it up as lost.

MichaelG.

Ady1
                Participant
                  @ady1

Latest activity immediately available, excellent, well done guys.

Still really sluggish for page views but I bet that the big holdup is the adverts

If the software allows the messageboard to instantly display, and the adverts can catch up in their own time, then page views will be fine

I think that the current display system is waiting and waiting for replies from the advert people before it starts displaying, which is a weakness

Michael Gilligan
                  Participant
                    @michaelgilligan61133

Mmm … I have just refreshed this very page

https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/topic/comments-constructive-on-the-new-forum-software/page/25/#latest

and scrolled down

… only to find a list of ‘Latest Replies’ which for some unknown reason has landed on p25 and is thus: “Viewing 25 topics – 601 through 625 (of 40,710 total)”

MichaelG.

peak4
                    Participant
                      @peak4
                      On Michael Gilligan Said:

Mmm … I have just refreshed this very page

https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/topic/comments-constructive-on-the-new-forum-software/page/25/#latest

and scrolled down

… only to find a list of ‘Latest Replies’ which for some unknown reason has landed on p25 and is thus: “Viewing 25 topics – 601 through 625 (of 40,710 total)”

MichaelG.

Funny you should mention that, I’ve just been working on exactly this issue to see what’s happening and why.
                      I enclose my results as a Notepad screenshot, since there are lots of web addresses in it and I can’t find any way to prevent this forum from resolving them into a shortcut/hyperlink.
                      The link behind the Blue Button varies according to which page you’re viewing at the time.
                      On a single page topic, or Forums, it seems to work correctly, more by chance than design.
                      On a multi-Page topic, I think it it takes you to that page number, but in the overall list of forum postings; at 25 posts per page, so possibly quite old.

image_2023-11-06_151758549

Bill

bernard towers
                      Participant
                        @bernardtowers37738

how come latest topics opens on post one and not latest.?

modeng2000
                        Participant
                          @modeng2000

The screen layout for Latest Replies is much better, thank you.

I do find the site rather slow, possibly because of the number of people trying to get access.

John

JasonB
                            @jasonb
                            On bernard towers Said:

how come latest topics opens on post one and not latest.?

Click the date/time that is on the right side of the screen rather than the Topic Heading as that will take you to the last reply.

Michael Gilligan
                            Participant
                              @michaelgilligan61133

A great bit of analysis, Bill … thanks for sharing it.

Of course I don’t know how it has come to be so, but there is clearly an underlying issue of discipline and rigour being absent from the coding:

A big blue button labelled ‘Latest Replies’ should do exactly the same thing, wherever on the site you press it … Just as one labelled ‘Home’ should always take you to the designated home-page [etcetera, etcetera]

The fact that the same button can be, and has been, coded to do different things at different locations is the sort of nightmare that I mentioned ‘big business’ trying to avoid … These ridiculous situations are frighteningly simple to get into, and can be very expensive to get out-from.

MichaelG.

Peter Greene
                              Participant
                                @petergreene36336

Hmm …. when the site was unreachable yesterday, I assumed it was down because the reported problems were being addressed.

Was that naive?

John Haine
                                Participant
                                  @johnhaine32865

I don’t know if it has been mentioned, but my browser (Chrome, on 3 devices) gives a connection insecure warning, and inspecting the url shows it uses HTTP rather than HTTPS.  Really, in 2023?

Regarding “Latest Replies”, presumably a topic should only appear here once there is an initial post and at least one reply?  Oh, but I see that some of them have 0 replies…

So it should be headed “Latest Posts”, which I think is what the old site did.

JasonB
                                    @jasonb

Secure padlock closed and HTTPS for me on Chrome with W10

secure 2

Ian P
                                    Participant
                                      @ianp
                                      On JasonB Said:

Secure padlock closed and HTTPS for me on Chrome with W10

secure 2

Plus 1

Michael Gilligan
                                      Participant
                                        @michaelgilligan61133
                                        On Peter Greene Said:

Hmm …. when the site was unreachable yesterday, I assumed it was down because the reported problems were being addressed.

Was that naive?

Possibly, yes

There are many reasons why ‘something’ could have been ‘hogging resources’

… I learned a little about fork bomb whilst pondering that ^^^ but hopefully it was something innocent.

MichaelG.

bernard towers
                                        Participant
                                          @bernardtowers37738

Thanks for that Jason but not particularly obvious to us luddites.

Iain Downs
                                          Participant
                                            @iaindowns78295

Just to say something positive about the new site – the latest posts actually looks usable now.

Well done to all how participated!

Iain

Colin Heseltine
                                            Participant
                                              @colinheseltine48622

Https and padlock being displayed in IOS on Iphone14

Clive Brown 1
                                              Participant
                                                @clivebrown1

Regarding Forum speed, I find the Forum painfully slow when I am logged on. If logged off however, response speed is much improved. This happens with both Firefox and Edge in W11. I’ve not tried any other browsers. Anyone else experiencing this?

Ian P
                                                Participant
                                                  @ianp

29.5 seconds from clicking the link in a notification email to Colin’s post (687829) appearing.

As it happens I have not been too bothered by forum speed as it generally seemed acceptable for the last couple of weeks, but it seems now to be much slower (today for the first time I thought I would measure it).

Ian P

P.S. I think most of my comments so far on the new forum have been pretty negative, I do however commend two significant improvements,

1, The ability to be logged in on two devices (not that its usable on my Android phone)

2, Numbering of posts, not really readable in grey on a lighter grey, or at least that is what colours MY eyes see.

EDIT
                                                  ‘Submit’ this message took 35 seconds!

Clive Brown 1
                                                  Participant
                                                    @clivebrown1

Just opened Edge browser, but not logged on. The above 2 posts from myself and IanP are not showing there; why?

Edit; this post took about 40 secs. to submit.

peak4
                                                    Participant
                                                      @peak4
                                                      On Clive Brown 1 Said:

Just opened Edge browser, but not logged on. The above 2 posts from myself and IanP are not showing there; why?

Edit; this post took about 40 secs. to submit.

The Forums part of the site has been down for me, for about 40 minutes.
                                                      Other parts, News, Workshops etc worked fine, so maybe there is some more work going on under the bonnet.
                                                      I was having this earlier, with long submit/refresh times; It looks like timeout is between one and two minutes.
                                                      On the bright side, when it came up again at least one bug seemed to have been cured.

image_2023-11-06_215103900

It’s nothing to do with my own PC setup, as other websites and the main site here, worked fine.

Bill

Viewing 25 posts - 601 through 625 (of 873 total)