Comments (constructive) on the New Forum Software

Advert

Comments (constructive) on the New Forum Software

Home Forums New Forum Software questions, comments and Test Threads Comments (constructive) on the New Forum Software

Viewing 25 posts - 276 through 300 (of 873 total)
  • Author
    Zan
    Participant
      @zan

Trouble is Jason I think a lot of members will leave so funds from adverts for Morton’s will be difficult

another gripe, I used to go through rhe latest post threads and read the ones I was interested in. Next visit I just looked at the new ones and checked the interested ones which did not have a red flags to see new comments.  Easy. Now it seems I have to trawl through the subjects.   Strange thing is I found a lot of interest from the titles  in threads which on the face of it I have no interest, so now I would not view th3 content cos I would not be able to find it in the first place. So so sad

why are things listed twice in the latest post page

ps I replied to this from the email.  It took 4  to 6 slow loading pages to get to here……

Advert
      JasonB
        @jasonb

The two columns are not the same.

The one on the left puts the most recently active topics  (threads) in time/date order just like the old “latest posts” did

The one on the right is not that useful as it shows newly started topics (Threads) again in the date/time order they were started.

yes if visitors to the site go down it will be harder to sell space and existing advertizers are already being put off as their adds don’t show up as well particularly on mobile phones. Add in people saying add blockers get rid of them and it’s a downwards spiral.

Vic
        Participant
          @vic

Only one point of view but it makes interesting reading. I wonder if anyone at Morton’s did any research before choosing WordPress?!

https://www.hexadesigns.in/blog/why-wordpress-is-an-utter-load-of-crap-to-build-a-serious-business-website-with/

Zan
          Participant
            @zan

The current left column shows 10  postsand no way to instantly see which you have visited.       presumably each will go when a new one is formed. Under the old system there were perhaps 20 AND  a next tab to see the sleightly older ones. Very useful if I’ve had no visit to the forum fir a couple of days. Eg. When attending a rally to drive my engine.   The red flags mean nothing is missed.   E.g docs Victoria build.  Always inretesting along with the help being given by yourself , tug and others.   Now I would have to search fir it…..

why is the icon on my tablet a “H” not “M “ as before?

Phil super7
            Participant
              @philsuper7

I am Not impressed with this change, a backward change in my opinion.

It is slow, difficult to navigate and hard on the eyes.

The original site worked for me simple and straightforward.

Peter Greene
              Participant
                @petergreene36336

Number of posts in each column depends on your local setup (zoom level).

Zan
                Participant
                  @zan

With the difficult to read font and a bright white background. Zooming out and making things smaller to see more  would not help

JasonB
                    @jasonb

As has been said multiple times in this thread it is a TEMPORARY fix. Its not the intended list

Never noticed red marks on the old ME list showing what ha dbeen visited, other forums have that sort of thing but not on ME as far as I’m aware

For anyone interested this is the bug report I filled as I don’t like it any more than you do and I’ll also add again that the temporary list is better than what you were going to get. Go visit Model Boats forum to see what they have.

latest report

Peter Greene
                    Participant
                      @petergreene36336

What is interesting is that way back, on the original site, when change was being considered to “more modern”, standard appearance with <Like> buttons etc, people at that time who pushed to keep the original site as-is (more or less) were in the minority and were looked upon as Luddites.

Peter Greene
                      Participant
                        @petergreene36336
                        On JasonB said

For anyone interested this is the bug report I filled

latest report

Can’t read it (font too small) …. and interestingly, zooming doesn’t help.

Michael Gilligan
                        Participant
                          @michaelgilligan61133
                          On Zan said

why is the icon on my tablet a “H” not “M “ as before?

No idea !!

The icon on my iPad is probably the most tasteful part of this  whole pathetic apology for a forum.

IMG_8939

MichaelG.

Peter Greene
                          Participant
                            @petergreene36336
                            On JasonB said

The two columns are not the same.

The one on the left puts the most recently active topics  (threads) in time/date order just like the old “latest posts” did

The one on the right is not that useful as it shows newly started topics (Threads) again in the date/time order they were started.

If I look at that page on my iPad (mini) in vertical mode, those two columns come one after the other, not side-by-side. It looks a lot better and more logical that way. Cleans it up no end.

Perhaps the site is being developed for “Devices” with desktops as an also-ran?

Peter Greene
                            Participant
                              @petergreene36336

Question: when I look at the ID box for the poster of a message, most people have @<username> at the end. I (and one or two others) have a bunch of numbers following that.

What do the numbers mean? (At least Michael has some too, so I’m in very good company).

Michael Gilligan
                              Participant
                                @michaelgilligan61133
                                On Vic said

Only one point of view but it makes interesting reading. I wonder if anyone at Morton’s did any research before choosing WordPress?!

Excellent link, Vic

Approaching it from the other direction, I would wonder why Mortons did not follow the example [born of bitter experience] of most right-minded bigger businesses and procure the best COTS package they could justify.

Anything like this, which needs ‘Developers’ rather than ‘Installers’ is almost guaranteed to either fail, or prove more expensive in the long-term.

MichaelG.

Commercial Off The Shelf

Paul Rhodes
                                Participant
                                  @paulrhodes20292

Small observation that the font seems rather faint and the light blue ,to my eyes, adds to the difficulties.

Hope this is constructive,andI register my appreciation of the efforts made.

peak4
                                  Participant
                                    @peak4

Another one for the developers, though only very minor.

The help notes (FAQ-6) cover inserting an Avatar or Banner photo, labelled as Profile/Cover
                                    Might be helpful to mention the former needs to be square, as it’s not obvious until you’ve created the photo and uploaded it.
                                    Also, for the Cover photo, should it really say “ larger than 0px wide, and 225px tall.” ?
                                    I think the ratio is about 4:1, by measuring the screen with a ruler.

image_2023-10-22_220318286

image_2023-10-22_220150641

p.s. Something odd going on with fonts; this is what capital Q looks like in the edit/post window

image_2023-10-22_221232541

But by the time it makes it on screen in the post, it seems a very odd font

image_2023-10-22_221426281

Bill

Nicholas Farr
                                    Participant
                                      @nicholasfarr14254

Hi, I don’t know if anyone else has, but I’ve discovered how to view my own profile instead of the message that you can’t. If you click on profile and then on settings, you should see Profile visibility, click on that, and then you can see who can see what about your profile, and you have to put a new password into a box and repeat it into a second box, and then click update. So now any members should be able see the about me, that I had on the old forum.

Regards Nick.

Nicholas Farr
                                      Participant
                                        @nicholasfarr14254

Hi Peter, I thick you will find those bunch of numbers after your name is part of your user name.

Regards Nick

Michael Gilligan
                                        Participant
                                          @michaelgilligan61133
                                          On Nicholas Farr said

… So now any members should be able see the about me, that I had on the old forum.

Regards Nick.

Nice try, Nick … but I still get this message when attempting to view your profile:

You do not have the required user role to view this user list.

Peter Greene
                                          Participant
                                            @petergreene36336
                                            On Nicholas Farr said

Hi Peter, I thick you will find those bunch of numbers after your name is part of your user name.

Regards Nick

Yeah, and now everyone has them. Always the same – one person gets something and everyone wants one.

The ” 1 ” on the front of your number looks awfully like a ” t ” on my screen. I’d complain. 😉

Michael Gilligan
                                            Participant
                                              @michaelgilligan61133

You need a better screen, Peter

[ or a forum layout that assigns more of its ‘real-estate’ to the important stuff ]

MichaelG.

.IMG_8942

Nicholas Farr
                                              Participant
                                                @nicholasfarr14254

Hi MichaelG, I think I’ve made some changes, so maybe it can be viewed now. If not I’ll have to give up, but at least I can see my own profile now.

peak4
                                                Participant
                                                  @peak4
                                                  On Nicholas Farr said

Hi MichaelG, I think I’ve made some changes, so maybe it can be viewed now. If not I’ll have to give up, but at least I can see my own profile now.

Sorry, still doesn’t work for me, though I’m able to edit my own profile OK
                                                  image_2023-10-23_011823275

JasonB
                                                    @jasonb

No not everyone, look at Peak4 and me

Something odd that has carried over

It can be altered but expect to hav eto change to a more complex password if you alter those things in profile

Re square Avitar you can upload any shape and then must crop it to a squer before you can post. Forum has the cropping frame on teh photo for you do do it here rather than before upload.

Odd size of banner has been reported a long time ago

Michael Gilligan
                                                    Participant
                                                      @michaelgilligan61133
                                                      On JasonB said

Odd size of banner has been reported a long time ago

and was probably ignored because the spec. is in fact logically valid

It probably does need to be greater than 0px wide, because only those nasty tracking pixels are 0 … but any positive value would do.

MichaelG.

Edit: __ My mistake … tracking pixels are 1×1

Ref. https://en.ryte.com/wiki/Tracking_Pixel

Viewing 25 posts - 276 through 300 (of 873 total)