Clever alternative to a Spline…

Advert

Clever alternative to a Spline…

Home Forums Suggested Online Resources Clever alternative to a Spline…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Andre ROUSSEAU
    Participant
      @andrerousseau66124
      Advert
      Andre ROUSSEAU
      Participant
        @andrerousseau66124

When an ordinary round hole just won’t do it!

Michael Gilligan
        Participant
          @michaelgilligan61133

Please forgive the hi-jack, Andre … but when I watched your impressive [but not very informative] video, YouTube suggested this one: **LINK**

… which is a masterly demonstration of 20 mechanisms.

MichaelG.

Bill Davies 2
          Participant
            @billdavies2

Megamozg (megabrain), whose video Andre displayed, has some other videos worth viewing, including various shapes that are like simpler versions of ornamental lathes, although cut deeper. Also, new to me, casting a gear by forming the mould in a lathe:

Casting a gear

Thanks, Michael, that's an impressive find. I have a 7 year old grandson who draws a lot, but may be ready to start making models, it's a shame that Lego Tecnic is so expensive.

Bill

noel shelley
            Participant
              @noelshelley55608

Casting a gear ! My russian is all but nonexistant so I don't know what the plastic material is that he uses for the mold possibly a type of petrobond ? Generating the tooth form and count is ingenious ! I have cast gears in brass, the key is to start with a good mold, the rest is easy.

the gear shown is as cast, 2.5"dia and 52 tooth, cast from old bath taps. Noel.

pictures8 099.jpg

Bill Davies 2
              Participant
                @billdavies2

Very nice detail, Noel. Does it run well with the mating gear or did it need some fettling?

I thought the method of forming the mould was ingenious.

I thought that Megamozg was Ukrainian, going by the Google translate of his channel name.

But no, he has a Russian website (megamosg.ru) and one of the links shows he lives in Rostov on Don.

It's all Cyrillic to me…

Bill

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)