Clarkson Horizontal – Redefined in Metric

Advert

Clarkson Horizontal – Redefined in Metric

Home Forums Stationary engines Clarkson Horizontal – Redefined in Metric

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    JasonB
      @jasonb

While most of you seem to be entrenched in the tea room I’ve been out in the workshop.

Having felt for a long time that anyone looking for their first casting kit will get lead down the imperial route even though it may not be familiar to them I decided to redraw the Clarkson 1″ x 1.5″ Horizontal in metric and while I was about it sort out the few anomalies and missing details that the original drawings suffer from.

An updated metric drawing set should soon be available from Blackgates, the castings are available now. It’s not a bad buy when compared to a similar size Stuart No 8 and the cost of materials and fixings is still not going to bring the cost up to that of the Stuart. Build should be in ME at some time in the hopefully not too distant future.

Advert
      Hopper
      Participant
        @hopper

Looks good and sounds even better. Should be popular among those with modern metric lathes and mills. And the younger set for whom imperial is a complete mystery.

Martin Johnson 1
        Participant
          @martinjohnson1

“While most of you seem to be entrenched in the tea room I’ve been out in the workshop.”

Biting, but too true.

Martin

Bo’sun
          Participant
            @bosun58570

While imperial on metric machines might not be the end of the world, it may possibly spawn a new saying.  “measure thrice, cut once”.  Not to mention, reading the drawing more than once.

JasonB
              @jasonb

Thanks for the comments

At least with the new drawings you should actually have dimensions to read as many times as you like rather than them being completely missing or simply not possible to achieve from the actual castings. But as my lathe is imperial and does not have a DRO I can confirm that the world is not going to end but I should inform you that it is not flat.

I’m not quite sure yet whether Blackgates will supply both sets of drawings or give the buyer the choice of the old imperial or my new metric ones so those with old iron need not have to take their socks off.

As Hopper says more of the hobby machines are coming with just a metric option and the same goes for tooling and equipment with metric being more readily available at reasonable prices.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)