Cheaper Chinese Lathes 38mm Spindle Bore

Advert

Cheaper Chinese Lathes 38mm Spindle Bore

Home Forums General Questions Cheaper Chinese Lathes 38mm Spindle Bore

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    rik arry
    Participant
      @rikarry
      On Howard Lewis Said:

If it is of any interest, I have been usinga generic Taiwanese lathe (Chester Craftsman, or Warco BH600, Engineers ToolRoom BL12 -24 – both the latter now discontinued) since 2003.

It is a lot heavier and more rigid than the ML7, with a 2MT spindle, that preceded it.

I have swung a 24″ lengths of 1″ bar in it without problems, (A 6 ” 3 jaw, or a 8″ 4 jaw chuck, are quite hefty items) so have to disagree with one naysayer.

The largest job?  Facing a 1″ thick cast iron disc, 6.125″ diameter, and then offset in the 4 jaw to bore a 1″ hole an inch in from the edge.

(With them curled around the shop, I have twice, carefully, turned fittings on the hose for pressure washers, to restore them to working order.)

Snallest job, thinning the heads of 10BA screws!

In my book, a very useful size of spindle bore (5MT, although mostly I use tooling no larger than 3MT)  and as Jason says, no collection of short ends to go to waste.

The spindle bore suggests that such a lathe is not small, by model engineering standards, verging on small industrial, aznd will be heavy and quite rigid. Mine weighs in at 300 Kg.

You can do small work in a big ;athe, but the reverse can be difficult.

FWIW, Go for it!

Howard

How do I ask a question as your capta on website despite trying 20 times doesn’t work so can’t submit a question email address would be better also website not mobile friendly it’s a bit of a mess

Advert
      JasonB
        @jasonb

When you say ask a question is that a question related to one of the posts in this thread or do you want to create a new post asking a question. Either way once you are in past the captcha there should be nothing stopping you.

rik arry
        Participant
          @rikarry
          On Hugh Stewart-Smith 1 Said:

Hello Rick

We have been selling our 210D lathe with 38mm bore for the last couple of years. Our supplier is Weiss and we have a new supply arriving towards the end of next month. We supply them with or without a 2-axis DRO. They have belt drive and brushless motor and it’s one of our best selling small lathes.

If you are anywhere near London, you would be welcome to call in to view.

Hugh                                                                                                Amadeal Ltd

How do I ask a question as your capta on website despite trying 20 times doesn’t work so can’t submit a question email address would be better also website not mobile friendly it’s a bit of a mess

Hugh Stewart-Smith 1
          Participant
            @hughstewart-smith1

hello Rik,

thank you for pointing out the problem with the website contact. We’ve had intermittent problems.                        You could message us via info@amadeal.co.uk.

regards

Hugh                                                                                                             Amadeal

MikeK
            Participant
              @mikek40713

I’m confused.  A 38mm spindle bore is larger than both an MT3 and an MT4.  Is this a different spindle with no taper at all?

Mike

rik arry
              Participant
                @rikarry
                On MikeK Said:

I’m confused.  A 38mm spindle bore is larger than both an MT3 and an MT4.  Is this a different spindle with no taper at all?

Mike

Says MT5

JasonB
                  @jasonb

Most of the hobby lathes and quite a few industrial ones come supplied with a reducer to take the large MT down to a more usable MT3 which is a more usable size for tooling yet retains the ability to pass larger work through the spindle.

You would need to check if the  supplier includes the reducer as so sell the machines with less accessories as standard than others.

rik arry
                  Participant
                    @rikarry
                    On JasonB Said:

Most of the hobby lathes and quite a few industrial ones come supplied with a reducer to take the large MT down to a more usable MT3 which is a more usable size for tooling yet retains the ability to pass larger work through the spindle.

You would need to check if the  supplier includes the reducer as so sell the machines with less accessories as standard than others.

Seems Loads of Spindle reducers on eBlag various sizes

Howard Lewis
                    Participant
                      @howardlewis46836

If you are buying new, or even second hand, the lathe should come with a 5-3MT open ended reducing sleeve.

If it doesn’t they are available from a variety of suppliers.

Howard

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)