Car Brake Bleeder Kit

Advert

Car Brake Bleeder Kit

Home Forums Help and Assistance! (Offered or Wanted) Car Brake Bleeder Kit

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Clive B 1
    Participant
      @cliveb1

Hi Guys

Can someone out there help me either suggesting the correct fittings I need or making something up for me which I will pay for including postage.

I’ve tried asking sellers on ebay but they only seem to be flogging the stuff so not much help to me, so thought  I’d try on this forum even though it’s not model engineering.

I’m in Stafford by the way.

Ok what I’m trying to do,

I’ve just bought a Sealey VS820 car brake bleeder which I knew before buying it, the brake master cylinder cap which comes with it will not fit my car and looking on Amazon at the reviews of the universal cap fitting Sealey are offering its cr*p.

From what I’ve read the cap part of it is plastic and flexes when clamping it on to the master cylinder, so once the brake fluid system is pressurised by pumping the plunger on the bleeder, brake fluid proceeds to spray out everywhere all over the engine bay including oneself, it’s not fussy.

Right, I have a piece of 5mm thick mild steel plate, some chain and J bolts.

I’m not into pneumatic or hydraulic fittings, although the bleeder only operates on a very low pressure so I don’t think it will much matter what type of fittings I use.

My problem is I need something which will fit through the 5mm steel plate allowing me to get a nut and sealing washer on either side of it thus forming a leak proof seal, at the same time I need to fit a piece of plastic tube onto what goes through the plate, securing it with a jubilee clip, see my sketch.

On the other end of the tube, I need to fit a male bayonet type fitting so I can push it into the quick release female fitting which is already on the Sealey Bleeder.

I have read they are not always compatible and can leak, so I may have to cut the female part off and buy a matching pair.

Anyone have ideas on something which wont leak when pushed together, I don’t want to go too expensive but at the same time I don’t want a connection which is more than useless.

I’ve included some photos and a rough sketch hopefully making it a bit more understandable to anyone reading this.

Thanks again for any help or advice anyone can offer.

CliveBrake Bleed ABrake Bleed BBrake Bleed CBrake Bleed DSealey OfferingSealey Offering Improvement

Advert
      Juddy
      Participant
        @juddy

Just put a thread in the steel plate and screw your fitting into it with a lock nut on top if you really think it needs it

duncan webster 1
        Participant
          @duncanwebster1

It’s bound to be some numb thread for which you can’t get a tap

Keith Long
          Participant
            @keithlong89920

At that od and on a pipe fitting I’d guess most likely 1/4inch bsp!

bernard towers
            Participant
              @bernardtowers37738

Been bleeding brakes commercially for over 50 years and never had a piece of kit like that

Diogenes
              Participant
                @diogenes

Pull a (tubeless) Schrader valve through a bit of thinner plate..

Grindstone Cowboy
                Participant
                  @grindstonecowboy

It’s not entirely clear, but it looks to work on the same principle as the old Gunson Eezibleed. Never seemed very successful, but…

To save a bit of messing about with steel plate and chains, could you possibly obtain a spare cap for your make/model of car – do they still have scrapyards? – and drill a hole in that? Any breather holes would need to be blocked of course.

Rob

Neil A
                  Participant
                    @neila

The coupling you are showing looks like a Euro Style air line connector. the thread for these is 1/4 BSP Taper. It does not look like a standard PCL connector.

Graham Titman
                    Participant
                      @grahamtitman81812

The connector looks like a standard air gun fitting 1/4 bsp and good for 4500psi

john halfpenny
                      Participant
                        @johnhalfpenny52803

A vacuum bleeder might be an easier solution – not expensive.

Nick Wheeler
                        Participant
                          @nickwheeler

Bear in mind that the reservoir cap isn’t designed to be pressurised! One look at the threads on just about any plastic reservoir(even Minis have used those for decades) will tell you that, and it’s not unusual to find a push-on cap. I’ve used several different pressure bleeders, and they all have two things in common: they don’t use much pressure(<1.5 bar for an Eezibleed) and they invariably leak from the cap.

I would acquire another factory cap, drill a hole in the top for a custom barb to match the tool’s hose, and epoxy it in place. That’s probably more work than bleeding the brakes without the tool….

Rydda
                          Participant
                            @rydda

@Clive

I know this is not really an answer to your question, but if the pressure-method fails, try the reverse. Use one of these oil extractors where you pump up a vacuum in a plastic container. Connect the extractor tube to the brake nipple and suck the brake fluid out.

This is also perfect when you replace the fluid. Suck the fluid from the reservoir, top up with new fluid and suck the remaining old fluid from each brake nipple.

I have been using this method for many years, and it is very pleasant to use. No problems with pressurized master cylinder reservoirs.

Andrew Tinsley
                            Participant
                              @andrewtinsley63637

I have always had total success with the Gunson Easibleed system, just to put the other side of the coin.

Maurice Taylor
                              Participant
                                @mauricetaylor82093

Hi, I know I’m not answering your question , sorry.

Why not do it with another person pumping the brake pedal.

Maurice

noel shelley
                                Participant
                                  @noelshelley55608

Others have beat me to it the thread looks like BSPT 1/4″ a very common thread and the connectors look like standard air line but not PCL. Bled brakes for 60 years and didn’t need this sort of kit, sucking or blowing the fluid through or very often just gravity. thread the plate and put a bonded seal under the fitting. Noel.

peak4
                                  Participant
                                    @peak4

It’s a standard Euro fitting by the looks of it, which comes with most of the cheap Lidl/Aldi air tools.
                                    They seem to come with two different threads ¼”BSP and also a fine metric; most, but not all, of the metric ones I have are parallel thread with a small O ring.
                                    Personally I’ve used a Gunsons Easybleed for years as the best method for the Landrover brakes, but I only use a low pressure; rather than the oft recommended tyre, I just use an inflated inner tube.

Maybe look to pick up a spare cap, new or from a scrapyard.
                                    I’ve just had a heater leak on the Disco and wanted to pressure test the cooling system.
                                    I used a spare cap for the header tank, a few brass fittings, a pressure gauge off an old footpump, a spare Schrader valve from an inner tube, with the rubber cut off and soldered to a bit of brass, and pressurised with a bicycle hand pump.

For modern cars with anti-lock brakes, I’d check that pressure bleeding is OK.
                                    Some even need a laptop to tell the ABS to open internal valves.

An alternative is some sort of self bleeding nipples; I have some of the old two piece ones with a plunger and loose spring, but it looks like this is a modern alternative.
                                    https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/goodridge-speed-bleeder-bleed-nipple-g-bn

Bill

Hopper
                                    Participant
                                      @hopper

Do yourself a favour and buy a cheap hand-operated vacuum bleeder kit. You hook the plastic tube up to the bleed nipple and squeeze the handle to suck the fluid through. 15 Quid online.

If you do persevere with your pressure bleeder, then if you are getting brake fluid spraying all over the engine bay and yourself as you say, it sounds like you are using way too much air pressure. Five or 10 PSI should do the job, just enough to push the fluid gently down the lines and out the bleed nipple when it is cracked. The brake fluid is in the bottom of the reservoir, the pressure bleeder cap is on the top. The twain should never meet.

If the supplied plastic cap/plate is leaking, it is mostly likely a combination of too much air pressure and over-tightening the hold-down nuts, causing the plate to bow and thus not seal.

If using the nuts more gently does not cure it, you could cut a piece of steel plate or 1″ x 1/8″ flat bar to put over top of the existing plastic cap/plate and thus stiffen it up. Just drill holes in it for the two nuts and the air fitting in the middle. Much easier than making a whole new contraption.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)