Butch stuck regulator, on going.

Advert

Butch stuck regulator, on going.

Home Forums Locomotives Butch stuck regulator, on going.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Michael Callaghan
    Participant
      @michaelcallaghan68621

Butch regulator. Hi, I am trying to recommission a butch loco that’s not been used for sometime.upto now I have descaled the boiler, freed off all the valves and water pumps. However the regulator is now the only problem to overcome. It was stuck. On lifting the dome I could see lime scale on the workings and I have been able to remove that. I have undone the central nut on the regulator control arm and this freed up the movement. I have cleared the control arm, and inner face of nut. However even with the use of a bit of copper slip once all fitted back together the regulator sticks again. I have also noticed that the nut holding the regulator assembly to the back head is also turning. My thinking is that the whole regulator assembly needs removing and freeing off. And here is the problem or not. Is it possible to just remove the regulator section from the central section leaving the smokebox section in place. Does anyone have a drawing of the assembly or has worked on the regulator with this problem and unstuck it. If so how. Thanks

Advert
      noel shelley
      Participant
        @noelshelley55608

Studying the drawing there would seem to be nothing stopping the regulator rod coming out ! In theory undoing the backhead packing gland should allow the rod to be removed for inspection. The wetheader is screwed into the 10G smokebox tube plate 1/2″26tpi this in turn has the mainsteam pipe screwed into it 3/8″ 26 and using the same size thread is screwed into the regulator body. I would assume that assembly would be a case of fitting the regulator in the steam dome, screwing the mainsteam pipe in may be with a touch of sealer then fitting the regulator rod and finally the wet header. This would be fine when new and the threads new and clean . There is a small bush in the bottom of the regulator column that holds the in board end of the regulator rod, this and the packing gland may be the cause of the problem. To remove the regulator may be a problem, requiring the removal of the all the smokebox pipe work, superheaters Etc, then the wetheader and main steam pipe. Good luck Noel.

I have just re read your post, I fancy the problem may be as simple as the packing gland is to tight ? The backhead bush is screwed into the backhead 3/8″ 26 if this is loose then it will leak, tighten and seal or make a new one and redrill for 7/16″ 26. Re pack the gland may be with ptfe tape, clean the rod and refit. The rod has a small square on it that must line up with the square in the crank. A test of the regulator being free would be to make rod of 5/32″with a 1/8″ dia X 1/4″ long section on the end and then an 1/8″ square X 1/8″ long, then about 10″ long and bend at 90* to form a dummy rod and see if the regulator will move. N.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)