Burrell

Advert

Burrell

Home Forums Traction engines Burrell

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Steviegtr
    Participant
      @steviegtr

This just popped up on my youtube screen. A 2" Burrell showmans.

What a great video. The guy is driving it in a yard area. He explains everything about the workings of the machine. Even the importance of blowing down .

Not sure if this has been shown on here before. If so appologies.

Steve.

Advert
      Steviegtr
      Participant
        @steviegtr

Youtube video

Benedict White
        Participant
          @benedictwhite51126

Both good place to put it for everyone to see and as online reference for the new owner.

peter hobbs 2
          Participant
            @peterhobbs2

hi

i have a 3″ burrell traction engine it has a steel boiler and over the last few years i have re-tubed it twice now i,m thinking about using copper tubes if i have to re-tube again, anybody got any ideas about this

many thanks

pete

Chris Gunn
            Participant
              @chrisgunn36534

Peter, I am not so sure I would, in our club we had 2 of these with steel boilers and copper tubes, and the copper tubes were always leaking, It was thought that these expanded at a different rate to the steel shell, thus loosening the tubes. These can be re-expanded, but eventually the copper will get mighty thin at the tube plates, after continual expanding. Both owners replaced their boilers with new steel ones with steel tubes.

You say you have done it twice over a few years, I know it depends on how many years, but my 4″ Garrett is about to have its second set of tubes, the first set lasted about 10 years, the second slightly longer, as it was not used as much. If your tubes are only lasting 2 or 3 years that does not seem long.

Chris Gunn

Harry Wilkes
              Participant
                @harrywilkes58467

What Chris states is very true so is like several members of my club who have not had problems, but if as you say re-tubed twice in a few years would suggest there maybe a problem somewhere either with the quality of tubes fitted or how the boiler as been maintained.

H

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)