Budget storage 2

Advert

Budget storage 2

Home Forums Workshop Tools and Tooling Budget storage 2

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Niloch
    Participant
      @niloch
      A recent attempt at tidying my tandem garage resulted in a need for some shelving.  An ad. in a Sunday broad-sheet drew my attention particularly the special offer that was ending in seven days.  (How gullible am I?) 

I bought three bays of shelving totalling approximately 13.5meters of 450mm deep shelving, each capable of supporting 150Kg evenly distributed for about £135 inclusive of a significant carriage charge.

I didn’t have a great deal of wall space free and two of these bays were to stand in a very strong cradle that I’d made from 4″ x 2″ softwood fitted with castors outboard of the frame.

Please be aware that I don’t  consider this product to be safe unless steps are taken to improve rigidity.  The advertisement does not state that they have to be fixed to a wall but in my opinion they are certainly not suitable as free-standing shelves

Using a combination of galvanized steel lateral restraint straps and herringbone strutting from a builders’ merchant  they are now very safe and because of the triangulation afforded by the latter, very rigid and in my instance, mobile too.

Machine Mart is just one company that sells a better alternative especially if you are able to collect thereby doing away with the carriage charge that I paid  –  usual dusclaimer. 

Edited By Niloch on 18/06/2009 17:41:09

Edited By Niloch on 18/06/2009 17:41:42

Advert
      Niloch
      Participant
        @niloch
        John Wood1
        Participant
          @johnwood1
          Yep, we’ve all done it havn’t we? I call it the ‘Chinese Tool Syndrome’, you need something but don’t want to pay for it so are tempted by the discount items or the copies, WRONG. If you need a decent product you have to be prepared to pay for some quality don’t you?  Having said that, in your case at least you can modify what you have to do the job required so, apart from time and a few bits and pieces you have probably saved a few quid so fair enough.

Having said all that it’s not easy to judge quality or suitability of anything when all you have is a picture and very brief description so forums like this are very useful indeed as are the various ME shows where you can examine the merchandise and chat to the sellers. Anyway, thanks for the tip on the shelving and I for one will watch out when I need some new shelving.

All the best
          John
        Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)