BT Upgrade to Digital Phone Line “Failed”

Advert

Home Forums The Tea Room BT Upgrade to Digital Phone Line “Failed”

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Alistair Robertson 1
    Participant
      @alistairrobertson1

A friend received a message from BT that his phone line was being upgraded to digital on a certain date.      A technician arrived on time and began the “20 minute job” as he said.                                                                     45 minutes later he goes MMM! this isn’t working and says he will have to contact his supervisor. After 90 minutes they say “we will have to call back tomorrow as we cannot get it going. OH! and we have cut off your phone line!

Three days later somebody from EE phones and says we understand your phone line has been cut off but we can sell you a new Home/Mobile phone that will work in your location.  (it wont as there is no EE signal within about 600 meters!)

Contacting BT gets the reply “We are working on it” but it may take some time and we will not be able to re-enable your old home number!

Another 10 days and a mobile call is received from a German company offering to re-instate the old home phone number!    Playing that phone message back to BT seems to get some action in that they say they “Might” get the digital phone line working after upgrading the local network but their home number has been “Sold On”

Now almost a month and nobody at BT seems to know what is going on.  EE should have nothing to do with the situation as he is not their customer nor is the German company who say they contacted him in error!!

Has anyone else had similar bothers when being upgraded by BT?

This home is in a large city in Scotland not some rural backwater!

Advert
      bernard towers
      Participant
        @bernardtowers37738

There’s a con going on here!!!

MichaelR
        Participant
          @michaelr
          On bernard towers Said:

There’s a con going on here!!!

I think the same as Bernard, when BT changed my home line to digital voice all I had to do was plug the phone into my BT Smart Hub  no engineer involved, if you haven’t got a Smart Hub I think there is a adapter that plugs into the existing BT socket allowing you to plug your phone in

Michael Gilligan
          Participant
            @michaelgilligan61133

When I moved to Wales, I took the opportunity to escape from BT after years of misery.

The biggest problem in the whole changeover was [predictably enough] BT

BUT … OpenReach installed the Fibre-Optic line and, at my request, physically removed the Copper.

The Service is now provided by Zen, including the provision of a FRITZ! 7530 router which happily provides VoIP using Analogue and DECT ‘phones.

I’m sure it is no consolation, but I suspect Alistair’s problem is all down to BT incompetence.

MichaelG.

Ref. __ https://www.zen.co.uk/

Chris Crew
            Participant
              @chriscrew66644

If at all possible move away from BT to a provider that has its own infra-structure. I know that is not always possible but new providers are appearing all over. They may be causing disquiet in some communities because of the erection of their own poles that don’t require planning permission but I would put money on them providing a better service at a price far below that of BT. The local provider has certainly done that for me. We are lucky in the village where I live because the local independent operator fibre-cabled the village but used the existing BT poles. I couldn’t leave BT fast enough and the government even paid for my installation under the Building Digital UK (BDUK) scheme!

However, if you want to keep your old land-line number you must specify this in advance and pay a nominal sum to have it ported over to your new provider. You cannot retrieve your old number later if you change your mind. We never use the ‘landline’ and nobody ever calls it except Mr. Patel from Microsoft but I kept it for sentimental reasons as it appears against my listing in the very last Phone Book ever to be published.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)