Books for model engineers

Advert

Books for model engineers

Home Forums Books Books for model engineers

• This topic has 66 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 4 July 2013 at 21:50 by clockworkhamster.
Viewing 17 posts - 51 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    Steambuff
    Participant
      @steambuff

TEE are the publisher of this book and may other excellent books …

**LINK**

Dave

Advert
      Martin Lockett
      Participant
        @martinlockett82419

Thanks Dave ordered.

Martin

David Littlewood
        Participant
          @davidlittlewood51847

Martin,

Glad you found it. I looked for the book on Amazon and found TEE there as one of their third party sellers. Among other things, they publish Engineering in Miniature.

David

Edited By David Littlewood on 07/12/2012 16:05:44

Martin Lockett
          Participant
            @martinlockett82419

This company are only down the rouad from me when i check them out a month ago they had none instock themselves .

Martin

John McNamara
            Participant
              @johnmcnamara74883

Hi All

If you Google…..

The modern Gunsmith Howe pdf

You will find an excellent book (2 volumes)

About half of the work is on gun smithing, the other half is on tool making. fine engineering, engraving, forging, metal bluing and colouring other metals; brass etc and a host of other subjects. There are several copies on Amazon etc. All from a 1941 perspective when toolmaking was an art. and this man was one of the best exponenents.

One of the treasured books in my library.

Cheers

John McNamara

Michael Gilligan
              Participant
                @michaelgilligan61133
                Posted by John McNamara on 08/12/2012 03:00:27:

The modern Gunsmith Howe pdf

All from a 1941 perspective when toolmaking was an art

John,

A superb reference, thank you

I have just downloaded both volumes to the iPad, for easy reading.

MichaelG.

Anonymous
                  Posted by Swarf, Mostly! on 07/12/2012 14:43:20:

Just a comment about the 'Machinery' handbook. It's good to have a copy but for me, the earlier editions are more useful than the very latest.

Normally I would agree with the above. For anything 'imperial' I reach for my father's copy (1943) first rather than mine (1992). However, I was recently looking for detailed dimensions of BSF full nuts, as I need to make some for my traction engines. Nothing in the older version, but my version has complete details, most odd.

Regards,

Andrew

David Littlewood
                  Participant
                    @davidlittlewood51847

Andrew,

I think Machinery's is published by a US company; it's possible that in 1943 no-one over there had heard of BSF threads. The USA has often been, in my experience, very much more inward-looking than we are over here ("War is nature's way of teaching geography to Americans" has some justice in it).

David

Sandy Morton
                    Participant
                      @sandymorton10620

Amazon have quite a list of ME books online this morning – at seriously discounted prices. hth

David Littlewood
                      Participant
                        @davidlittlewood51847

Sandy,

A link would be useful; not at all obvious where to find them from the Amazon home page.

David

Sandy Morton
                        Participant
                          @sandymorton10620

sri. Amazon front page and put Model Engineering into the search box – works fine here.

clockworkhamster
                          Participant
                            @clockworkhamster

Hi,

I'm looking for recomendations for a book on Epicyclic / bi-coupled gear trains. If it covers other drive mechanisms such as linkages that would be great. The ones I have seen are usually very expesive so would rather not buy them without knowing that what I'm getting is the right one.

Regards

Nigel

MICHAEL WILLIAMS
                            Participant
                              @michaelwilliams41215

Hi Nigel ,

Most undergraduate teaching books about theory of machines cover these subjects . Have a look around nearest University or Poly bookshop .

Separate from books there are several CAD based technical design and analysis programmes available which might help you .

Really and truly there is not much to learn about epicyclics and other complex gear trains . If you have a need to design or understand a mechanism for a particular purpose ask some questions on this forum .

Regards ,

MikeW

Michael Gilligan
                              Participant
                                @michaelgilligan61133

Nigel,

One essential reference book is Gears for Small Mechanisms

But, so far as I recall, it has nothing specifically about designing epicyclic trains.

MichaelG.

But this might help.

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 03/07/2013 16:04:52

John McNamara
                                Participant
                                  @johnmcnamara74883

Hi Clockworkhamster

Look For Fundamentals of machine design P Orlov Old USSR in 4 volumes. MIR the old soviet gov publisher.

Translated to English, The best general work(s) on (Non CNC) machine design I have ever come across.

They pop up in second hand bookshops or try your luck on the net.

What makes them special is the copious and detailed illustrations comparing sets of well illustrated designs both good and bad and the way he explains why one design is better than another.

The math is not overwhelming, but properly covered.

Regards
                                  John

Edit: Hmm looks like I posted this here in 2011! Well they are still the best…….

Edited By John McNamara on 03/07/2013 18:14:23

Sub Mandrel
                                  Participant
                                    @submandrel

Someone posted a link to a pdf of '500 mechanical movements' or similar recently. Very old but full of ideas. Machinery's Handbook includes lots of information on different gear trains, including epicyclic, helical and bevel gears in mind-numbing variety.

Neil

clockworkhamster
                                    Participant
                                      @clockworkhamster

Thanks all for the feedback I will go and have a look at the sugestions.

Regards

Nigel

Viewing 17 posts - 51 through 67 (of 67 total)