Books

Advert

Books

Home Forums Books Books

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Tom Gullan
    Participant
      @tomgullan59234

Hello,

I'm an absolute novice at Model Engineering but would like to learn more. I started off with a Sieg C3 Mini Lathe and a small DIY pillar drill. I have now upgraded to a Myford Super 7 lathe and a Warco WM 16 Milling Machine. It has been suggested to me that I get a copy of The Model Engineer – Volume 1. Apparently this book has some basic but interesting plans. Can anyone help me find a copy of this book. I've tried eBay, Amazon and WH Smith with no success. Alternatively, can anyone suggest an alternative book.

Advert
      Tom Gullan
      Participant
        @tomgullan59234

The Best of Model Engineer – Volume 1

Neil Wyatt
          @neilwyatt

Welcome to the forum Tom,

Take a look here, for a start. You should find something of interest.

The route to take is features (on the black bar above)> Magazine reprints

Also try the myhobbystore advert to the right of this panel.

Neil

clivel
          Participant
            @clivel

If your interests run to model building, then as a novice I think that you would be far better off following Stewart Hart's "Lads and Dads Mill Engine" than anything found in the "Best of Vol 1".

The Lads and Dads build series was published in Model Engineer starting with issue 4460 (July 2013) and completed recently. Back issues may still be available from MyHobbyStore or alternatively you could take out a digital subscription which I believe includes a back issue archive. To whet your appetite, here is the Lads and Dads Mill Engine forum thread.

Alternatively if your interests are more workshop equipment, there have been many excellent articles in Model Engineers Workshop that would be worth looking at. e.g Harold Hall's "Lathe projects for beginners" or "Milling projects for beginners". Again a digital subscription to MEW would give you access to the back issues but I have no idea how far back it goes.

Frank.N Storm
            Participant
              @frank-nstorm18349
              Posted by Tom Gullan on 13/03/2014 19:02:20:

Hello,

…. It has been suggested to me that I get a copy of The Model Engineer – Volume 1.

Hmm… the Model Engineer Volume 1 is from the year 1898 or thereabout. Hardly to find on Amazon or W.H. Smith. laugh

Are you really sure you got this right? I wonder very much why the new boss N.W. does not comment about this. Well, he is boss of the other, much younger publication, so maybe he don't know… wink

Rgds, Frank

Robbo
              Participant
                @robbo

Tom,

I think the "book" you are looking for is fully called "The Best of Model Engineer Volume 1", it was a collection of articles from old issues of Model Engineer, and is more of a large magazine than a book.

I think it is out of print now, as I gave mine to someone who was unable to buy one, so perhaps your best bet is to place a "wanted" advert in the classifieds on this forum, or on the excellent "homeworkshop.org.uk" website.

I recall that it did have basic steam engine designs from Stan Bray, so if you look for his published work you would find something similar.

Also, Volume 2 of the Best of Model Engineer has 2 simple Stan Bray designs, a "Grasshopper" beam engine and an inverted vertical engine. This may still be available as it didn't sell as well as Vol 1. I was annoyed to find that after I had bought one at full price it was on sale later in WH Smith for 99p!

Tom Gullan
                Participant
                  @tomgullan59234

Neil, Clivel, Thank you very much I'll give those a try.

Tom Gullan
                  Participant
                    @tomgullan59234

Gentlemen, my apologies for the clerical error. The publication I was looking for was "The Best of Model Engineer Volume 1"… you just can't get the staff smiley Thank you.

john fletcher 1
                    Participant
                      @johnfletcher1

I suggest you get a copy of each of the following, "Workshop Technology" author W A J Chapman, Publisher Arnold parts 1 & 2 only.First published in 1942 when I was a lad.I don't know if there is modern version but these books are very good. To stimulate your brain when not in the workshop you might also like a copy of his "Applied Workshop Calculations" and use Log tables to anwers the problems. Also very good are the EITB manual given out to the lads on the training board courses in the 1960's/70's.You might get the books on Amazon.Ted

JasonB
                        @jasonb

There are several good beginners engines featured in Best of … Vol I

Suum Cuique, a simple mill engine and Opus Proximus which is a simple vertical engine both by Stan Bray. Stew Harts engines suggested above are of a similar level and worth a look

Also there is an even more basic oscillating engine by ET WEstbury

And if you fancy a sterling engine there is one of those too though the fits need to be a bit more exact on those.

Teh best offs do come up on e-bay so keep an eve out as it will be chaper to buy that single mag than all teh mags the articles are taken from.

OuBallie
                        Participant
                          @ouballie

Welcome to the wonderful hobby Tom.

Whereabouts are you in the land.

If in darkest Norfolk, or surrounds, you are more than welcome to spend a day or more perusing my collection of books.

What did you make with your previous machines?

Ditto your new toys?

I started off with an original Unimat and thought I could build LBSC's Tich!

Well that turned into a laugh, BUT fortunately a kindly soul at the JLS, my namesake, whispered some very sage advise in my rear, and I soon had an Emco V10P with mill.

My first stationary engine was the ubiquitous oscillator, powered by a Stuart Turner boiler.

Seeing that little thing spin around with steam exiting everywhere was exilirating.

There are books on building just about everything, covering steam and ic engines to tools, for hand or lathe use.

Only you will know where your preference lies once you start making swarf.

May I suggest a simple hand/lathe tool/accessory that will get you using your machines first, before agonizing over which direction to take.

My first serious project was the Geo. H. Thomas tapping/staking tool, and it taught me a lot more about working metal than reading all the books available.

Start with something easy to gain experience on how your machines operate.

Oh, and do find a container and mark it 'Scrap' It will come to your rescue on many a time in the future.

Geoff – Good to see newcomers entering the hobby.

edit: c changed to v in fourth sentence, but original still valid

Edited By OuBallie on 14/03/2014 09:28:16

Russell Eberhardt
                          Participant
                            @russelleberhardt48058

If you are interested in building steam engines this would be a good place to start.

Russell.

Neil Wyatt
                              @neilwyatt

Amazon!!l. MyHobbyStore are selling the Tubal Cain book for only £4.96, along with a number of other titles that may be of interest:

**LINK**

Neil

ASF
                              Participant
                                @asf

yeah but you can still buy it through Amazon for £4.95 including postage

Edit: Blimey, MHS want a further £3.99 for delivery! Thats a whopping £8.95 in total …

Edited By ASF on 14/03/2014 14:19:58

Oompa Lumpa
                                Participant
                                  @oompalumpa34302

Geoff offers sage advice.

If you are starting out and have just acquired your machinery my advice is the same. Make some tools or accessories. There are loads that are easily made and if you make a hash of it it is not the end of the world.

You could buy a blank arbor and make a slitting saw arbor from it. Or a Die holder for the tailstock of the lathe. Simple accessories like this are useful, the blanks are cheap and you will gain invaluable experience. You will also learn your and your machines limitations and shortcomings.

At the end of the day, this is a "hands on" hobby so any amount of reading will never quite fully prepare you for that first experience of the chuck key flying across the workshop or the material suddenly turned to scrap because you advanced the cross slide just that little bit too much.

Books are great, Forums are great, it is nice to have a good set of drawings. None of these things will actually make anything though without your own effort.

graham.

Michael Gilligan
                                  Participant
                                    @michaelgilligan61133

Tom,

One of the free downloads that Neill mentioned earlier

ME Centennial Collection Issue 8 Pt 1

has an excellent article on marking out (pp22-24) and illustrates a miniature "square" … This would be an ideal first tool-making project. It's a very useful device, and would exercise several basic skills.

There is also plenty of scope to modify the design to suit your own requirements and methods.

MichaelG.

Link added by JasonB

Edited By JasonB on 14/03/2014 15:48:10

Michael Gilligan
                                    Participant
                                      @michaelgilligan61133

Sorry, Neil … I spelled your name as Neill

That's no way to treat the new Editor blush

MichaelG.

Neil Wyatt
                                        @neilwyatt

> The size of your scrap bin will get smaller and smaller as you gain the experience.

For once there is something John says that I can totally disagree with – my scrap bin expands to encompass the entire workshop! I actually had to throw some stuff out last week.

Neil

Tom Gullan
                                        Participant
                                          @tomgullan59234

Gentlemen,

Thank you for your comments and advice. This is the first time that I have used a forum. I didn't realise that I would get so much response.

OuBallie – To answer your question I'm from Scotland, a wee place called Inverurie which is roughly 20 miles North of Aberdeen. I have no engineering qualifications just a keen interest in restoring vintage stationary engines – 1 1/2hp – 3hp Rustons and Listers.

To date I've made two oscillating wobblers which are both single acting. The plans for the first one came from a web site called Steve's Workshop http://www.steves-workshop.co.uk/steammodels/simpleoscil/others/othersengines.htm (my one is the fifth from the bottom). This may change as Steve does publish images of completed models, This project was completed using the Sieg C3 Mini Lathe and small pillar drill which I spoke about earlier. I quickly realised that I was quite restricted in what I could do with this machine so invested in a Myford Super 7 with power feed (all the way from Liverpool) and that's when I jumped in with both feet and bought a new Warco WM 16 Milling Machine. I am now almost finished my second project "Scoot". The plans for this one came from book which I purchased from the USA vie eBay by Edward G. Warren. The hardest part was making the tool to cut the domed nuts. It took me hours to get to the stage that they are at the moment. I still have the other piston and cylinder to make. I have tested the movement with air from my compressor and it does work. The pillars were fluted on my milling machine. Have you any idea how get rid of the score marks? I have tried changing the tool and speed but this has little effect.

I get a great deal of satisfaction when I see things coming together. My wife askes me "Why do you do that". I simply reply "Because I can".

Tom

scoot.jpeg

Michael Gilligan
                                          Participant
                                            @michaelgilligan61133
                                            Posted by Tom Gullan on 13/03/2014 19:02:20:

Hello,

I'm an absolute novice at Model Engineering

Well, that looks like an excellent start !!

MichaelG.

Tom Gullan
                                            Participant
                                              @tomgullan59234

Hello Michael,

I had a lot of help from Tubal Cain.. You Tube is a great thing.

Tom

Tom Gullan
                                              Participant
                                                @tomgullan59234

John,

Thank you. I will check your first two suggestions but I'm sure that I have and am doing those. I was interested to read your third observation. My feed rate along the cut is not consistent as I do not have power feed. I have used both a four flute and ball nose end mills at high speed. Would the type of end mill have an impact on the end result?

Tom

Russell Eberhardt
                                                Participant
                                                  @russelleberhardt48058
                                                  Posted by Tom Gullan on 14/03/2014 22:27:59:

Hello Michael,

I had a lot of help from Tubal Cain.. You Tube is a great thing.

Tom

Tubalcain on YouTube, while his videos are good, is not the same person as the author Tubal Cain, His construction books give very detailed instructions on machining the parts for his models. I learned a lot from him at the beginning.

Russell

OuBallie
                                                  Participant
                                                    @ouballie

Tom,

You are somewhat far for a weekend browse through by books me thinks

For a novice that engine would not look out of place on anyone's mantelpiece. Very very nice.

John beat me to it with regards to the score marks.

The only solution you now have is elbow grease and emery cloth.

One thing I forgot to include in my first post is DO make the GH Thomas tailstock die/tap holder or similar.

It was my second project and was in virtual constant use! That tool was a pleasure to use, and taught me what not to do when making all those die holders, hence my suggestion on a 'Scrap' bin. We all have them.

Geoff – Bl**dy treatment is a pain in the whatsit!

Edited By OuBallie on 15/03/2014 09:53:27

NJH
                                                    Participant
                                                      @njh

Tom

As to books ( your original query!) I strongly recommend "The Model Engineers Workshop Manual" by George Thomas. Firstly George was a superb writer (and engineer!) and, even if you never made one of his projects, you would learn a lot from his carefully written explanations. I see though that you have "upgraded" to a Myford S7. – even better George too had a S7 and his projects, whilst applicable to other lathes, are designed for the S7.

Many years ago I made his little rotary table . This has a dovetailed slot cut around its circumference ( not to difficult to imagine how to make this.) However it then has, of course, two dovetailed AND curved stops to slide in the slot! I'm sure there are many here who would say – " yep that's easy to do". It made my brain ache just trying to imagine it! He describes EXACTLY how to do this – and it worked a treat! The book is shown on amazon and I believe is published by TEE publishing.

Here is a photo

Cheers

Norman

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)