Boiler Help

Advert

Boiler Help

Home Forums Beginners questions Boiler Help

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Deltic007
    Participant
      @deltic007

Hi all,

I am at the final stages of soldering my boiler up and i noticed on the drawing some holes that i am struggling to see what purpose they serve.

The back head has 2 holes with what look like plugs in,yet the drawing does not call for threaded bronze inserts to be soldered in or any reference to what size thread etc,Could these be some type of run out plug?

The front tube plate again has 2 holes with no corresponding boiler tube plug or anything?

Any idea or help much appreciated!

Front Tube Plate

Backhead

Deltic 7

Advert
      Deltic007
      Participant
        @deltic007

3 1/2 Guage Lilla Locomotive Boiler

Colin Harwood
        Participant
          @balljoint

Possibly they are for a couple of boiler stays which run from front to back, have seen similar on a RobRoy

Steambuff
          Participant
            @steambuff

They are for 1/4" Boiler Stays. Take a look at the other Fire-Box Drawing.

Dave

Deltic007
            Participant
              @deltic007

Yes i was beginning to think that,why then do you think that one end is shown as a blind nut (SS to backhead) and the other end on the front tube plate with no diameter?

Also in the EIM write up it makes no reference to them at all,do i presume they are like tie rods with blind nuts ss to place?

Thanks for your replies the fog is clearing,just didn't want to finish the soldering to have to start again or even make a schoolboy error.

D

OuBallie
              Participant
                @ouballie

Having done drawings myself, it's all too easy to forget to add details sometimes.

Wanting to get the drawing finished, to move on, sometimes makes one forget things, like checking!

Only experience will fill in the holes, and asking on this Forum.

Moral:

There is no stupid question, other than the one one keeps asking.

Geoff – Getting ready to change wheel on car.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)