Boiler cleaning

Advert

Boiler cleaning

Home Forums Model Boats Boiler cleaning

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    AJW
    Participant
      @ajw

Planning on using my launch boiler to supply a horizontal stationary engine. It's a copper water tube unit about 10 inches long by 5 inch diameter with a 2 1/4 inch flue fitted with 8 water tubes.

Looking inside through the safety valve bush it looks quite green and dirty. It was made by a family member back in the 60's. Always steamed well and was heated by a paraffin (blowlamp) type burner. I've always dried it out after use, many moons ago but I don't suppose it was before I inherited it!

Was going to dose it with citric acid – what do the panel recommend?

Alan

Advert
      AJW
      Participant
        @ajw
        Jon Lawes
        Participant
          @jonlawes51698

I've used white vinegar in the past with good results.

SillyOldDuffer
            @sillyoldduffer

Citric Acid will clean it up, but won't stop further corrosion. (Repeatedly cleaning with Acid will eventually damage the boiler, but it will take years.)

The pro's protect out-of-service boilers by stopping Oxygen and Water from coming together. Either:

• Dry the boiler out completely and seal so air can't get in at all. A variant is get rid of the Oxygen in Air as well by filling the boiler with dry Nitrogen.
            • Flush with clean water to remove muck, and then fill to the brim with freshly boiled water, again sealing so air can't get in. Boiling removes gases dissolved in the water, Carbon Dioxide and Oxygen are both corrosive. De-ionised or distilled water plus an inhibitor is best.

For home purposes, I guess careful drying and sealing is good enough. Fairly obvious leaving a boiler with water in it, and allowing air free access will cause oxygen rich condensation to do it's worst.

Dave

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)