Best way to cut thin paper seals for use with steam fittings

Advert

Best way to cut thin paper seals for use with steam fittings

Home Forums Workshop Techniques Best way to cut thin paper seals for use with steam fittings

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Greensands
    Participant
      @greensands

I would be interested to receive some ideas on the best way to make thin paper seals having a concentric hole for use with miniature steam fittings. In the past I have used an inverted scalpel blade mounted in the tool post with typically a brown paper blank held on a rubber clad face plate using double sided tape. This has the advantage that it is possible to cut a concentric hole for the passage of steam in a neatly cut seal with any radial fixing holes being put in with a suitable punch and guide as a second operation. Cutting Paper SealsI have had some success with this method but I would be very open to hearing the views of others and trying out different techniques.

Advert
      bernard towers
      Participant
        @bernardtowers37738

I think that any system that works for you is ok as making special tools/punches for low volume amounts is just not worth it but wonder why you use brown paper instead of gasket paper as it is a completely different beast performance wise.

Greensands
        Participant
          @greensands

Can you suggest a suitable source and grade of thin gasket paper?

JasonB
            @jasonb

Liquid gasket works for me.

noel shelley
            Participant
              @noelshelley55608

ANY GOOD motor factor and a set of MAUN wad punches can make the job easy. A tube of Hylomar blue is also handy. For larger gaskets use a ball pein hammer say 8Oz or 12Oz. Noel.

bernard towers
              Participant
                @bernardtowers37738

Yes proper motor factor and ball bearings good for bolt holes. the bay is flooded with genuine flexoid paper

Greensands
                Participant
                  @greensands

Well, that’s an original use of ball bearings. Would never of thought of that.

Speedy Builder5
                  Participant
                    @speedybuilder5

This sort of thing works well

0a8260076f7ea18e03a10517f7c63961

bernard towers
                    Participant
                      @bernardtowers37738

Emergency gaskets at work always had the holes cut with balls, it makes the cuts very precise. the out side can be cut with light taps from a small hammer.

peak4
                      Participant
                        @peak4

I don’t play with steam, but for other gaskets, I often glue the paper to one side with a very thin film of Wellseal, and run round with a fine point scalpel.

Bill

JasonB
                          @jasonb

For the hammer and ball users how do soft GM castings as often found on Models and the softer aluminium alloys sometimes used on IC engines stand up to this? I’ve done it on full size iron castings but would worry about brusing the edge of the softer metals.

duncan webster 1
                          Participant
                            @duncanwebster1

<p style=”text-align: left;”>To make the small bolt hole in gaskets I use a punch and die in the drilling machine. Make the gasket to fit the flange, then use the flange as a jig. There is no need to harden the die, and the punch is the wrong end of a drill. Hold the die in a drill vice, and relieve the hole from the underside so the chads fall out. Those with long memories will recall the problems caused by hanging chads.</p>

bernard towers
                            Participant
                              @bernardtowers37738

Jason, use a soft hammer.

JasonB
                                @jasonb

What do you class as a soft hammer? I can bruse GM with a nylon one when hitting a corner to cut the paper. Also difficult to get it to cut on internal corners

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)