battery loco controller

Advert

battery loco controller

Home Forums Electronics in the Workshop battery loco controller

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    duncan webster 1
    Participant
      @duncanwebster1

I started a thread on this some time ago, but I can’t find it, so had to start a new one. I’m hoping the combined wisdom of you lot will help me releasing the expensive magic smoke.

To recap, I’m using 2 ebay motor controllers to power 2 motors on my latest creation. Why? They were cheap. The way you would wire one up is shown below

schematic1

When I put my multimeter across the pot it reads ~1k at first, but this rapidly climbs to 4K7 and then stays there. I assume this is due to a cap somewhere. Obviously I want to control it using one potentiometer, the forward/off/reverse (pins 10,11, 12) is going to be by 2 pole 3 way rotary switch, so can be kept apart. The switch shown between pins 8&9 is built into the pot, as the motor can be firmly off by putting the the forward/off/reverse to off, so I’m proposing to permanently connect pins 8&9. Pin 5 seems to be connected internally to pin 1. Pin 7 has 5v on it. What I’m not sure about is:

should I connect pins 5 together on the 2 controllers?

Should I connect pins 7 likewise. I’m concerned that if the 5v regulators in the 2 controllers are not exactly matched they could fight each other

I’m proposing N/O push button between the +5 and the pot to act as a deadman. Let go and it cuts the power.

schematic2

Advert
      Robert Atkinson 2
      Participant
        @robertatkinson2

Your diagram is correct. They may be a slight mismatch between the outputs but the motors won’t be identical either.
        Another option is two potentiometers one for each controller. This can be either a dual gang pot e.g. https://uk.farnell.com/citec-te-connectivity/27esa472mmf50nf/res-4k7-0-4w-1-turn-panel/dp/3399766
        Make sure you get a LINEAR pot. Most dual pots are Logarithmic also called “audio taper”.
        Or it could be two single pots mechanically ganged together. This can be arranged to allow balancing between the two motor systems. You could allow the body of one pot to be rotaed over a small range if using gears or timing belts to connect them or variable length levers if using a lever system.

Robert.

duncan webster 1
        Participant
          @duncanwebster1

Thanks, I’ll get the bits ordered.

Halton Tank
          Participant
            @haltontank

The only that worries about new set is the lack of Dead Man’s Handle or Kill Switch.

It reminded of an incident that happen many years at my club track. An electric loco was pulling a train of driving skate and a passenger car when for some reason the driving skate derailed and loco became uncoupled from the train. Being relieved of load the loco shot off like rocket and dragged the hand controller fro the drivers hand and continued its merry way. Alas it did survived the next corner and being a raised track the result was not pretty.

In your case I would reinstate the switches between pins 8 & 9 on both controllers using a DPST (double pole single throw) push button switch. I would use a switch with a large button or better still use a lever to operate the switch.

Regards Luigi

Bazyle
            Participant
              @bazyle

I may be a good idea to spring load the potentiometer and if children are going to drive sometimes have a hidden switch that cuts down top speed by introducing a resistor in the 5v line to the potentiometer. A 1/4 inch phono jack incorporating a shorting link with chain to driving car is a simple precaution.

duncan webster 1
              Participant
                @duncanwebster1

I did say I will have a N/O push button in the 5v supply to the pot. This will act as a deadman.

Children will only drive under direct supervision

SillyOldDuffer
                  @sillyoldduffer
                  On duncan webster 1 Said:

Children will only drive under direct supervision

Children of all ages?   I’ve started to enjoy Thomas the Tank Engine again…

😈

duncan webster 1
                  Participant
                    @duncanwebster1

I never stopped, but not the American version. And have you forgotten Ivor the engine?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)