Bassett Lowke “Eclipse”

Advert

Bassett Lowke “Eclipse”

Home Forums Stationary engines Bassett Lowke “Eclipse”

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    JasonB
      @jasonb

DSC04351

Advert
      JasonB
        @jasonb

I mentioned in the recent thread about the Gamages engine that I had also found an old advert for a similar engine from Bassett Lowke called the "Eclipse" well I could not resistembarrassed

A couple of evenings with Alibre and a design for a reproduction was modelled. I've taken it up to 12mm x 12mm rather than 7/16" x 7/16" and added a couple of small extra details which may change as the build progresses. Those who followed the converting from fractions thread may be interested that not once did I touch a calculator, rule (slide or otherwise) or even have to take my shoes and socks off to get a design that the modern engineer may find usable.

Nigel Graham 2
        Participant
          @nigelgraham2

Good to see these old designs given a new lease of life.

It's a simple, attractive design and one open to all sorts, such as making a twin-cylinder version.

How did you convert the numbers? Simply by remembering as I do several nearest equivalents (e.g. 5/16" ~ 8mm) then basic mental arithmetic for the in-betweens? (5/32 ~ 4mm, etc.) A lot of the BAs have close though not exact M equivalents too. (5BA ~ M3).

JasonB
            @jasonb

I only had the old advert and a couple of photos from the web to go buy so little to actually convert. It was more a case of what looked in proportion and what may have been used originally

I did get a little bit done over the weekend Those are 10-20-40 blocks for an idea of size not 1-2-3! I've reduced the flywheel diameter by 2.5mm from the 3D images as I felt it looked a bit big

JasonB
              @jasonb

A couple of hours in the workshop yesterday morning and I managed to wangle a cylinder out of this bit of cast iron bar

A similar length session this morning managed to convert an off cut of CI and a bit cut from an unwanted casting into the valve chest and cover

Starting to look a bit more like an engine now. I did make use of the CNC to cut the elliptical bottom cylinder cover and also the fancy recess in the flywheel.

JasonB
                @jasonb

I don't seem to have had that much workshop time over the last few weeks but did find some time this week to get the last few bits for the Eclipse completed and could not resist trying it with a bit of air.

For a high speed design it has quite good slow speed running too as you will see if you watch to the end and the video does not show how fast it's actually going at times but once painted I'll do a better video and get the tacho out to see what it can do. Following a recent thread I also included a shot of the compressor regulator showing how low it's set and the except when adjusting this regulator all other engine speed is controlled by the small flow valve. I'm also liking the new Hyundaismiley

BOB BLACKSHAW 1
                Participant
                  @bobblackshaw1

Ive got one of these engines in a steam boat, I took measurements from it when I stripped it down to have a go at making one.

Bobpa300355.jpg

JasonB
                    @jasonb

Thanks for the extra photo Bob, there do seem to be more of these about than the Gamages engine and I was able to find quite a few photos to base my version on though I expect mine is destined for a display cabinet not a boat so I won't be making the Steam Linia plant to go with it.

Well I've had the Tacho out this morning so would anyone like to take a punt at the speed while I'm waiting for the paint to harden? I did wind the compressors regulator up to 1bar (14psi)

Steviegtr
                    Participant
                      @steviegtr

yes Great work Jason. Guess 3500 RPM

Steve.

JasonB
                        @jasonb

Well Stevie you may be surprized to know that your's is the winning guess being the closest to what I measuredwink Off Camera I managed 2300rpm and a little less while the video was running.

So here are a few shots of the finished engine

Quite pleased with how it turned out and an enjoyable little one to make and would certainly suit those with smaller machines. It would be possible to do it without silver soldering the base for those that don't feel upto it by using a bit of JBWeld together with the screws to keep things held together.

A few video clips now, there is a bit of vibration as the speed starts to increase but it works through that and smooths off at the top end, I could not see any signs of balancing in the photos I based it on so did not include any but the flywheel could be played with id desired.

Jon Cameron
                        Participant
                          @joncameron26580

Hello Jason,

Is it possible to get a copy of the drawings from you for this engine. I am looking at building a streamliner hull and would obviously like the correct type of engine to go in it too. I have found some measurements from an original boiler so hopefully I can build that also fairly close to original.

Regards

Jon

JasonB
                            @jasonb

Jon at the moment it only exists as 3D parts modelled in CAD, if you can open Alibre files or a .stp file of the assembly you are welcome. PM me an e-mail address.

If not give me a while and I'll do 2D drawings as I tend to just take what I need for a part off the 3D and use those sizes. There are also about 80 build photos.

Jon Cameron
                            Participant
                              @joncameron26580

Hello Jason, I'm afraid I can't open those. But I am in no hurry. I'll send you my email and if you could do me the 2D drawings when you have time it would be appreciated.

Regards

Jon

JasonB
                                @jasonb

Just bumping this thread up to the top again as the build with drawings is now running in ME starting with issue 4746

If anyone has any questions or is thinking of having a go it would be good to hear from you.

One set of advance drawings went out around Christmas time but I have not heard of any progress on that one.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)