Back plate modification

Advert

Back plate modification

Home Forums Workshop Techniques Back plate modification

Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Martin of Wick
    Participant
      @martinofwick

The lathe for which the the ex Boxford backplates are being modified for is a Murad Bormilathe. The work is being carried out on a Myford. I have extracted the Bormilathe spindle and will use to check the re-worked backplates.

Advert
      duncan webster 1
      Participant
        @duncanwebster1

I think the advice that the register diameter doesn’t matter and it is the thread that centralised everything is exactly wrong. The register should be a good fit and the thread slightly slack (not a lot)

The topslide parallel advance by half of cross slide technique is how I was taught by a time served craftsman many years ago. The angled infeed works equally well but is a faff to set up. If you want to use this method on an internal thread mount the tool upside down and cut on the far side with the lathe rotating normally. Then the topslide is angled the same way as for cutting an external thread. Second advantage is the dial numbers go up rather than down, which is more intuitive. Third advantage the chips fall away from the tool better.

Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)