back issues?

Advert

back issues?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    russell
    Participant
      @russell

i've recently got access to a tablet, and my phone actually has pretty good resolution, so i thought i'd download pocket mags to catch up on some reading.

i was already registered with pocket mags, added my subscriber number, and lo, there is the current issue. But how do i get all the back issues from my subscription (now 3 or 4 years at least?). I have only ever read them from the archive, and not worried about offline access, but now i'd like to, given that is a feature of the subscription i pay for.

emails to both pocketmag and secureorder.co.uk as advised within the app and the subs area on this site have gone unanswered, although one did get an auto responder reply.

Advert
      russell
      Participant
        @russell

how to get…

JasonB
          @jasonb

I'm fairly certain you will only be able to access back issues from the date you activate the PM account to start downloading them to your device but it's a few years since I did it so things may have changed.

Have you downloaded the Pocketmags app onto your device? that would be the first thing to do.

Edited By JasonB on 26/10/2017 08:01:38

Neil Wyatt
            @neilwyatt

Pocketmags just gives you the issues you pay for with your sub, or you can buy back issues.

You can still access the archive.

russell
            Participant
              @russell

But I have paid for all my issues. There is nothing I’ve read which said there was a time limit to access a magazine. So if I subscribed starting say with the October issue, but wasn’t able to access pocket mags until the Nov issue was published, I would not be able to download October? Sorry, but that is just wrong.

JasonB
                @jasonb

I seem to remember when this cropped up before that some people spoke with Pocketmags and they were able to manually set the issues that could be downloaded back to when the subscription started, I don't think there is an easy way to do it via PM's site.

Question from before still stands do you have the PM app loaded onto your device so you can download them or are you just viewing the current issue via their website? Would be best to get the app installed and see what you can download.

J

Neil Wyatt
                  @neilwyatt
                  Posted by russell on 26/10/2017 08:12:40:
                  But I have paid for all my issues. There is nothing I've read which said there was a time limit to access a magazine. So if I subscribed starting say with the October issue, but wasn't able to access pocket mags until the Nov issue was published, I would not be able to download October? Sorry, but that is just wrong.

Hello Russell

There's no time limit to downloading issues you have subscribed to so if your subs started with October you will be able to download it, even beyond the end of your subscription. What you can't do is access issues from before your subscription via pocketmags, unless you buy the digital back issues.

Occasionally, people subscribe and due to the exact date their sub starts with the issue after the one they expect. in this case it is possible to get customer services to backdate it by an issue.

Access to the digital archive goes back to issue 1, but only lasts as long as your digital subscription is active.

Neil

russell
                  Participant
                    @russell

So, how do I find the older issues? I have been a digital subscriber for many years. But pocket mag only shows me the current issue, and back issues for purchase. By my reckoning I already own those, but pocket mags doesn’t recognise that. Or are you saying I only get access via pocket mags from when I ‘subscribe’ via them. (my subscription is via this website, not pocket mags). If so, I am not happy. The ‘permanent access’ is not true.
                    And yes, this is via the app.

Russell Eberhardt
                    Participant
                      @russelleberhardt48058

I see a similar problem in that Pocketmags only shows issues from 2017. There is a menu item for 2016 but it gives no results even though I have had a pocketmags account since ME and MEW first went on it.

I gave up using pocketmags android app soon after it started as it was a dreadful piece of software. The latest version is a bit better But I'll stick to viewing magazines on this website using my laptop.

A question for Neil: Is it possible to modify the website to enable the magazines to be read on an Android device?

Russell

JasonB
                        @jasonb

I'll ask it one more time

"Question from before still stands do you have the PM app loaded onto your device so you can download them or are you just viewing the current issue via their website? Would be best to get the app installed and see what you can download."

This is the app you need to download your libary, if you have not got that then you won't get far.

Even without the app on your device you should still be able to see issues online that you have bought when you visit their site, I can see 110 issues of ME as below

This tells you how to get the app onto whatever device you have

Edited By JasonB on 26/10/2017 16:27:00

JasonB
                          @jasonb

I'm on a fairly new PC and had not downloaded the app as I don't really have the need to view offline so have just put it onto my machine and all my issues are there to be read, snip of the end of the list going back to 2013

pmapp.jpg

russell
                          Participant
                            @russell

"Question from before still stands do you have the PM app loaded onto your device so you can download them or are you just viewing the current issue via their website? Would be best to get the app installed and see what you can download."

Posted by russell on 26/10/2017 13:43:56:

yes, this is via the app.

i also just tried accessing via the pocketmags website – online reader. i also only get the current issue shown. However, and now i am kicking myself, the quality is vastly superior to the archive view. but like others, when i first tried the pocketmags app, it wasnt worth the effort.

JasonB
                              @jasonb

In that case I would say you need to speak with PM on the phone, explain you have had a sub for x No of years and can they make them available to you.

Neil Wyatt
                                @neilwyatt
                                Posted by Russell Eberhardt on 26/10/2017 15:12:38:

I see a similar problem in that Pocketmags only shows issues from 2017. There is a menu item for 2016 but it gives no results even though I have had a pocketmags account since ME and MEW first went on it.

I gave up using pocketmags android app soon after it started as it was a dreadful piece of software. The latest version is a bit better But I'll stick to viewing magazines on this website using my laptop.

A question for Neil: Is it possible to modify the website to enable the magazines to be read on an Android device?

Russell

At the moment the Archive viewer uses Flash by default for Windows machines and HTML5 for Apple.

It will switch over to HTML5 for all when a majority of Windows users are no longer depending on flash.

I don't know if/how it is set for Android, but the answer is to use a 3rd party flash player.

Neil

Neil Wyatt
                                  @neilwyatt
                                  Posted by russell on 26/10/2017 13:43:56:
                                  So, how do I find the older issues? I have been a digital subscriber for many years. But pocket mag only shows me the current issue, and back issues for purchase. By my reckoning I already own those, but pocket mags doesn't recognise that. Or are you saying I only get access via pocket mags from when I 'subscribe' via them. (my subscription is via this website, not pocket mags). If so, I am not happy. The 'permanent access' is not true.

Hello Russell,

You hadn't explained that your digital sub is long standing!

In that case you need to contact subscription support and explain the situation. It appears that somehow your current subscription is being treated as a new one, rather than a continuation of the old one.

Make it clear to them that this is the issue, and include as much detail as you can about current and past subscriptions.

Neil

Neil Wyatt
                                    @neilwyatt

Update: the subs number in your profile expires soon. It appears you may have taken out a 'new' digital subscription rather than renewing.

Subscription support should be able to get this sorted for you.

Neil

Michael Gilligan
                                    Participant
                                      @michaelgilligan61133
                                      Posted by Neil Wyatt on 27/10/2017 08:34:51:

At the moment the Archive viewer uses Flash by default for Windows machines and HTML5 for Apple.

It will switch over to HTML5 for all when a majority of Windows users are no longer depending on flash.

I don't know if/how it is set for Android, but the answer is to use a 3rd party flash player.

Neil

Please excuse my ignorance of such matters, Neil …

Might it not be preferable to try HTML5 on the Android ?

**LINK**

https://html5test.com/results/mobile.html

MichaelG.

russell
                                      Participant
                                        @russell

Thank you Neil, I await their reply. They were my first port of call but no response as yet..I did try to say in my first post I have had a digital sub for many years…

Re html5, I would think by now that it ought to be the default.
                                        Having flash as a fall back may be a nice to offer feature, but that is all.

Neil Wyatt
                                          @neilwyatt

Russell,

If you don't get it sorted in a few working days, say by Tuesday, copy your email to me: neil.wyatt@mytimemedia.com

Neil

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)