Approximate cost of filament?

Advert

Approximate cost of filament?

Home Forums 3D Printers and 3D Printing Approximate cost of filament?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    John Doe 2
    Participant
      @johndoe2

Morning folks. I am seeing prices from £21, down to £9.95 for a 1 kg reel of PLA, for example depending which supplier I look at.

What is the general price folk are paying in UK? Is £21 too much ?

Thanks

Advert
      John Doe 2
      Participant
        @johndoe2
        lee webster
        Participant
          @leewebster72680

It's been a year since I bought filament. I paid somewhere around £20 for 1kg. I would be wary of someone selling it at £9.95. If it was from a reputable buyer, I would be tempted. The last time I bought filament I saw a great variation in price. I checked the companies out with an on-line "are they any good" website, and most of the cheapies had a poor reputation. I used Technology Outlet, I bought both my printers from them, the filament is Copymaster3D. Very little distortion, if any. Sands and scrapes well, takes filler and paint. Long lifetime? Too soon to tell.

Michael Gilligan
          Participant
            @michaelgilligan61133

No personal experience, but this sort of question is always interesting:

It might be worth looking at these people: **LINK**

https://www.3dqf.co.uk

… not rock-bottom prices but I like their story.

MichalG.

not done it yet
            Participant
              @notdoneityet

I suspect it is somewhere between about 10 and 20 quid!

John Doe 2
              Participant
                @johndoe2

What an extremely helpful reply, NOT. thinking

I suspect the same, but where, that is the question.

John Hinkley
                Participant
                  @johnhinkley26699

As a relative newcomer to 3D printing, I am sticking for the moment to the filament supplied by my machine makers if only to remove one of the variables in the process until I gain more experience. I pay £22.99 for a 1kg roll of PLA. Only downside is the minimum order of £45 to qualify for free delivery from Bambu Lab. Other flavours are similarly priced and some are available without a spool though I don't know the price. Presumably cheaper. I have to say the quality appears to be very good, giving an excellent finish which exceeds my expectations for the machine.

My 2d,

John

Ian McVickers
                  Participant
                    @ianmcvickers56553

Creality Hyper PLA is about £21 from Amazon for a 1KG reel. Some of it is a lot more expensive like the multicolour stuff.

Phil Whitley
                    Participant
                      @philwhitley94135

In the injection moulding industry PLA granule is about £120 a metric Tonne, according to a mate in the industry. when you consider £20 a kilo=£20,000 a ton, it seems to be another case of printer consumables profiteering, Luckily my urge to buy a 3D printer wore off very quickly!!

Neil Wyatt
                        @neilwyatt

For economy filament I would recommend Sunlu, and pay rather less than £20 for 1kg of PLA +

I seriously recommend PLA+ over standard PLA.

There are plenty of good brands out there at reasonable prices, and truly 'bad filament' is a rarity these days.

For 'tip top' results pay the extra for the big name brands, but the improvements are marginal if your printer is well set up.

If your printer isn't well dialled in, cheaper filament seems more likely to result in clogs, missed layers, stringing or poor adhesion.

Neil

John Doe 2
                        Participant
                          @johndoe2

Thanks, all.

The reason I asked was because I went onto the Geeetech (sic) website and they were quoting £9.95 for 1 kg reels of PLA.

I have used Geeetech filament, and it seems to be OK, hence my query. Their prices seem to be updated daily though, and they are now quoting £11.95, or out of stock, depending on the colour. I should have jumped in when I had the chance !

I am just coming to the end of the reels my son gave me when he gave me his 3D printer, so this is the first time I have had to look at buying filament.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)