Antikythera Mechanism : New-ish findings

Advert

Antikythera Mechanism : New-ish findings

Home Forums Clocks and Scientific Instruments Antikythera Mechanism : New-ish findings

Viewing 15 posts - 26 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Matt Harrington
    Participant
      @mattharrington87221

A new report to keep up your enthusiasm!

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-021-84310-w

Matt

Advert
      Michael Gilligan
      Participant
        @michaelgilligan61133
        Posted by Matt Harrington on 13/03/2021 10:40:33:

A new report to keep up your enthusiasm!

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-021-84310-w

Matt

Just like the Antikythera mechanism … we’re going round in circles

No harm in that, Matt … but your link is the very report referenced in the concurrent thread.

https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=171769&p=1

MichaelG.

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 13/03/2021 10:53:20

Dave Halford
        Participant
          @davehalford22513
          Posted by Tim Stevens on 28/02/2021 15:29:28:

My guess is that the ship captain was himself the new owner, and had promised his pennyless mate to send a heap of shekels / denarii / pieces of 8 / etc as soon as he got back home. So, somewhere on the shores of the Mediterranean, an inventor sits, with tears in his eyes and nothing in his wallet, waiting, so patiently, as he looks towards Greece …

Cheers, Tim

My guess is the maker on his way to sell it to someone very rich went to the bottom with the ship and his greatest work.

Unless someone finds another one!

Matt Harrington
          Participant
            @mattharrington87221

Michael, apologies – I hadn't seen the other thread. Always seems a shame that information get diluted like this.

Matt

Michael Gilligan
            Participant
              @michaelgilligan61133
              Posted by Matt Harrington on 13/03/2021 11:34:34:

Michael, apologies – I hadn't seen the other thread. Always seems a shame that information get diluted like this.

Matt

Look on the bright side, Matt

We're adopting the LOCKSS principle:

Lots Of Copies Keeps Stuff Safe

MichaelG.

JA
              Participant
                @ja

I know very little about the Antikythera device but I realise that its discovery and study is very well documented. What worries me is the sophistication, maths and construction, of the device. It appears to be far more advanced than anything else of the period. The only thing that approaches it is Hero's steam engine (which may have been later). I have always been suspicious of "proof" based on reconstruction using tools of the time. Just because it can be done it does not mean it was done.

To me it has the appearence of the Piltdown skull. OK, call me a sceptic.

JA

Tim Stevens
                Participant
                  @timstevens64731

Well, JA, do you really think that were the Piltdown Skull to be put before a bunch of modern scientists and anatomists, armed as they are with modern understandings, modern analytical kit, etc, they would have failed to detect the signs of a fake? If so, you might care to explain why a fake would have been made? Perhaps by a Greek museum needing to attract visitors? And how exactly, would the museum have acquired the astronomic, as well as the metalwork, and then the corrosion science skills, without anyone else finding out? You might even try to make, or have made, something which could sit alongside the possibly ancient device, and not be distinguishable from it in terms of mechanical complexity, or corrosion effects?

I'm not saying you are wrong. I would just like you to support your hypothesis with a bit of rigour. That is how science works. So, over to you …

Cheers, Tim

Edited By Tim Stevens on 13/03/2021 18:30:30

JA
                  Participant
                    @ja

Tim

I do not have a hypothesis, just doubts.

The Piltdown skull was examined with all the scientific rigour of the time and was generally accepted. There were doubters but the science held until modern chemical analysis showed it was a hoax in the 1940s.

JA

Neil Lickfold
                    Participant
                      @neillickfold44316

I have been subscribed to Chris youtube site for quite some time. Initially I wondered what he was up to, then soon realised that the objective was to make to a certain degree an as accurate as possible replica. Using those methods most likely available in those days. Even making files, drills etc. Such a great journey. My biggest question has often been, why did they not make lathes with gear cutting capabilities until something like 1500 odd years later.

Ian P
                      Participant
                        @ianp

I have tried searching the forum for the thread on here where we discussed the probable numbers of hole based on only having a small segment of an array.

This recent article popped up on my phone randomly (as they do) on Instagram.

https://www.sci.news/archaeology/antikythera-mechanisms-calendar-ring-13085.html

Ian P

Michael Gilligan
                        Participant
                          @michaelgilligan61133
                          On Ian P Said:
                          I have tried searching the forum for the thread on here where we discussed the probable numbers of hole based on only having a small segment of an array.

[…]

Try this, Ian:

https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/topic/antikythera-mechanism-2/

MichaelG.

Michael Gilligan
                          Participant
                            @michaelgilligan61133
                            On Ian P Said:
                            […]
                            This recent article popped up on my phone randomly (as they do) on Instagram.

https://www.sci.news/archaeology/antikythera-mechanisms-calendar-ring-13085.html

Thanks for sharing the link, Ian

… I read the article this morning [after jumping through many hoops to decline ‘legitimate interest’ cookies] and finally discovered the embedded link to:

https://bhi.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2024/06/07-HJJuly24-AOTM-2.pdf

which I had seen already 🙁

MichaelG.

Michael Gilligan
                            Participant
                              @michaelgilligan61133

… not really conclusive

IMG_9926

MichaelG.

Michael Gilligan
                              Participant
                                @michaelgilligan61133

Lest it becomes lost in the noise … I must share this which [after all those big words and hard sums] I consider to be the punchline:

IMG_9927

MichaelG.

Michael Gilligan
                                Participant
                                  @michaelgilligan61133

Readers of the earlier thread may be aware that my own humble geometric efforts led me to consider 352 my best estimate.

I have just thrown that number into a Google search and found one interesting reference … albeit on a site apparently lacking any academic credentials:

https://calendars.fandom.com/wiki/352_Or_384_Day_Calendar

Is this somebody’s invention for game-play, or what ??

MichaelG.

Viewing 15 posts - 26 through 40 (of 40 total)