Antikythera Mechanism

Advert

Antikythera Mechanism

Home Forums General Questions Antikythera Mechanism

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 209 total)
  • Author
    John Haine
    Participant
      @johnhaine32865

Neil, I'm registered with Academia.edu, I just emailed you a copy to your mytimemedia address.

Advert
      Michael Gilligan
      Participant
        @michaelgilligan61133

Posted by Neil Wyatt on 05/10/2021 15:51:10:

Unfortunately that site will only let me in if I allow it to download my contacts!

Sorry … forgot about that little scam, and the iPad didn’t mention it surprise

… and I did not need to log-in to just read the paper

I’ve been warning people not to use it for a while now.

MichaelG.

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 05/10/2021 17:30:43

Michael Gilligan
        Participant
          @michaelgilligan61133
          Posted by Michael Gilligan on 05/10/2021 15:08:59:

Thanks, Neil … it also answers the question posed in my P.S.

But, unfortunately, I am not entirely convinced by their Least Squares Fit

… see the substantial deviation from the circle within my green Region of Interest :

8af343aa-48e9-4043-985c-f079f541996b.jpeg

MichaelG.

If we are trying to decide how many holes there must be in the full circle, then we need a good estimate of its radius.

Dave Halford
          Participant
            @davehalford22513
            Posted by Michael Gilligan on 05/10/2021 18:03:53:

… see the substantial deviation from the circle within my green Region of Interest :

MichaelG.

If we are trying to decide how many holes there must be in the full circle, then we need a good estimate of its radius.

That also looks like an area of damage, I suspect that without all the corrosion it would no longer be attached to the rest.

Michael Gilligan
            Participant
              @michaelgilligan61133

Posted by Dave Halford on 05/10/2021 20:28:43:

That also looks like an area of damage, I suspect that without all the corrosion it would no longer be attached to the rest.

Good point, Dave

… so we’re down on valid hole locations

MichaelG.

Michael Gilligan
              Participant
                @michaelgilligan61133

Posted by Michael Gilligan on 05/10/2021 20:35:23:

Good point, Dave

… so we’re down on valid hole locations

Taking Neil’s best available image : **LINK**

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Fragment-C-showing-degrees-of-longitude-on-the-zodiac-scale-as-well-as-the-holes_fig5_252678779

They have obscured the hole numbered 1, so I suggest we need to start at 2

The presumably-displaced group starts at 73 … so realistically we have 2 to 72 available for investigation.

I plan to measure the angle subtended by various groups of holes and do some simple statistics

… The big problem is the low resolution of the image, and therefore the difficulty in locating centres of holes !

360/355 is difficult to distinguish from 360/354 when you are measuring fog. …

MichaelG.

ca08288c-ae74-4647-91c0-f3bbb11199b4.jpeg

dce2edbc-1c3c-4a66-9a4c-208fda0085cc.jpeg

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 05/10/2021 23:13:40

Neil Wyatt
                  @neilwyatt
                  Posted by Dave Halford on 05/10/2021 20:28:43:

Posted by Michael Gilligan on 05/10/2021 18:03:53:

MichaelG.

The paper mentions the fracture.

On the plus side, i measured the distances from hole 1 to 41 and 41 to 81 as being the same.

(They shouldl have numbered the holes 0-80 IMHO).

Neil

Neil Wyatt
                    @neilwyatt
                    Posted by John Haine on 05/10/2021 16:20:13:

Neil, I'm registered with Academia.edu, I just emailed you a copy to your mytimemedia address.

Thankj John,

Neil

Michael Gilligan
                    Participant
                      @michaelgilligan61133

Posted by Neil Wyatt on 06/10/2021 09:43:35:

[…]

The paper mentions the fracture.

On the plus side, i measured the distances from hole 1 to 41 and 41 to 81 as being the same.

(They shouldl have numbered the holes 0-80 IMHO).

Neil

(a) True, but [rather worryingly] they appear to be using those displaced holes

(b) What were you measuring ? … chords and/or subtended angles ?

(c) Agreed

MichaelG.

Note: The white dots at [or near] holes1, 9, and 81 are theirs, not mine.

… and I don’t think they are sufficiently accurately placed to decide between 354 and 355

Michael Gilligan
                      Participant
                        @michaelgilligan61133

Posted by Michael Gilligan on 06/10/2021 10:02:50:

[…]

… and I don’t think they are sufficiently accurately placed to decide between 354 and 355

The angular difference between those two counts is less than 0.003° per step

MichaelG.

Roger Clark
                        Participant
                          @rogerclark

My random 2P's worth:

They knew about gears and ratios at that time so could they have made some kind of 'rotary table' out of the parts they had already made?

Tin hat now on thinking

David Noble
                          Participant
                            @davidnoble71990

A very tentative thought, would it be more accurate to mark out the holes on a much larger radius and then follow the radial lines towards the centre until the required diameter is met?

David

Mick B1
                            Participant
                              @mickb1
                              Posted by David Noble on 06/10/2021 15:41:10:

A very tentative thought, would it be more accurate to mark out the holes on a much larger radius and then follow the radial lines towards the centre until the required diameter is met?

David

Excellent idea in principle, but its implementation raises questions of its own, such as how to get a reliable straight radial line to mark from – a simple tight cord might not be easy to use.

Michael Gilligan
                              Participant
                                @michaelgilligan61133

Posted by Michael Gilligan on 05/10/2021 22:50:01:

[…]

They have obscured the hole numbered 1, so I suggest we need to start at 2

The presumably-displaced group starts at 73 … so realistically we have 2 to 72 available for investigation.

I plan to measure the angle subtended by various groups of holes and do some simple statistics

… The big problem is the low resolution of the image, and therefore the difficulty in locating centres of holes !

360/355 is difficult to distinguish from 360/354 when you are measuring fog. …

MichaelG.

Well … I’ve had a go, and it’s even worse than I anticipated crying 2

First I scaled the photo up by 500% and then drew lines from the marked centre to [my best estimate of] the centre of various holes, and recorded the angle subtended by each five steps.

Tabulated and calculated:

7aa2a6bb-b16e-4480-9f93-4597b1f6b6e9.jpeg

The result is, to say the least, unconvincing !

It is, however, reasonably predictable when we remember that tiny angular difference between 355 and 354 holes.

If anyone would like to repeat the exercise, as a check on my work … Please Do

MichaelG.

Michael Gilligan
                                Participant
                                  @michaelgilligan61133

Here’s a ferinstance of the fog which we are attempting to measure:

63d4c506-74af-4f58-9cc6-e1fce1f2f4c5.jpeg

dont know

MichaelG.

Martin Kyte
                                  Participant
                                    @martinkyte99762

Regarding the deviation from circular. There are two reasons that the holes are non circular (assuming they were to start with). Firstly as has been mentioned that there is a physical distortion/fracture etc or that the XRAY image was not exactly normal to the plane of the hole circle. In the second case there will be some projection errors at right angles to the rotation axis. I assume that the images were obtained by 3D XRay scanning and reconstricted to show the relavent slice. It would be nice to know the origin of the data.

regards Martin

Dave Halford
                                    Participant
                                      @davehalford22513
                                      Posted by Martin Kyte on 07/10/2021 11:09:20:

Regarding the deviation from circular. There are two reasons that the holes are non circular (assuming they were to start with). Firstly as has been mentioned that there is a physical distortion/fracture etc or that the XRAY image was not exactly normal to the plane of the hole circle. In the second case there will be some projection errors at right angles to the rotation axis. I assume that the images were obtained by 3D XRay scanning and reconstricted to show the relavent slice. It would be nice to know the origin of the data.

regards Martin

To which you can add it was found in a ship wreck and may not have been as round the day after it went down as it was when new.

pgk pgk
                                      Participant
                                        @pgkpgk17461

Apart from the absolute number of holes mattering when deciding on the calender version used does the accuracy matter that much? At least as far as that the mechanism must have had a re-set option and that spacing errors likely cancel out when any ring completes a full circle?

pgk

Michael Gilligan
                                        Participant
                                          @michaelgilligan61133
                                          Posted by pgk pgk on 07/10/2021 12:10:45:

Apart from the absolute number of holes mattering when deciding on the calender version used does the accuracy matter that much? At least as far as that the mechanism must have had a re-set option and that spacing errors likely cancel out when any ring completes a full circle?

pgk

Quite so … but the measurements of the available fragment [or rather it’s X-Ray image] have been used in the attempt to determine that number.

My own feeble effort has demonstrated [to my own satisfaction] that such determination is basically futile.

Personally … I think we have a ‘duty’ to discuss such matters.

MichaelG.

Michael Gilligan
                                          Participant
                                            @michaelgilligan61133
                                            Posted by Neil Wyatt on 04/10/2021 21:48:01:

I've just come back from a talk at my new local Astronomy Society, by Mike Edmunds, President of the Royal Astronomical Society.

[…]

This matters because they are trying to calculate the diameter (and hence the number of holes) in an incomplete ring. On the face of it 360 or 365 seem right, but measurements of the hole spacings suggests 354 holes.

[…]

With the greatest respect to all concerned … My own measurements “suggested” anywhere between 335 and 366 [but probably 352] … Indicating that the methodology is flawed.

MichaelG.

Michael Gilligan
                                            Participant
                                              @michaelgilligan61133
                                              Posted by Martin Kyte on 07/10/2021 11:09:20:

[…]

I assume that the images were obtained by 3D XRay scanning and reconstricted to show the relavent slice. It would be nice to know the origin of the data.

regards Martin

It’s worth looking at the paper that Neil referenced, Martin

… Here’s a short snippet:

“Our investigation was based on a set of x-ray computed tomography (CT) images provided by the Antikythera Mechanism Research Project. The image set consisted of 51 x-ray “slices” spaced at 0.1 mm depth intervals. Using Photoshop software, we built up mosaic, composite views, each created from many dozens of layers.”

MichaelG.

John Olsen
                                              Participant
                                                @johnolsen79199

Well, I find the study of this sort of thing fascinating, even if we may never know the full details of this device. It does give us a glimpse of the sort of things that the ancients were actually capable of. The existence of this one device obviously implies the existence of a workshop capable of making it, and although one does not expect them to have been mass produced, there were quite likely more than one made, as well as possibly simpler variants when the ideas were being developed. The problem of course is that metals does not always survive well, both due to corrosion and also due to the fact that it is very recycleable.

As well as this, we know about Hero's simple steam turbine. I wonder what else they might have been playing with?

John

Neil Wyatt
                                                  @neilwyatt

Perhaps I should explain why the number of holes matters.

The whole device had many gears, some of which can be reconstructed accurately, others estimated, as based on text fragments we can know the sorts of cycles it was displaying. The Greeks knew the lengths of these cycles (from days to decades) with surprising accuracy (the longest cycle is about a lifetime) and were able to calculate their ratios accurately.

It's likely the holes would have been used for some sort of indexing – there are fragments of dials which would have read out various cycles – and the obvious contenders for this are:

365 days = 1 year

354 days = 12 lunar months

355 days = 13 sidereal months (the time for the moon to return to the same place in the sky)

360 degrees

But who knows!

Michael Gilligan
                                                  Participant
                                                    @michaelgilligan61133

I have extended my little spreadsheet, and will post a ‘grab’ later this evening

[currently in a microscopy Zoom meeting]

MichaelG.

pgk pgk
                                                    Participant
                                                      @pgkpgk17461
                                                      Posted by John Olsen on 08/10/2021 06:18:58:

As well as this, we know about Hero's simple steam turbine. I wonder what else they might have been playing with?

John

The Baghdad Battery or scroll storage..

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 209 total)