Another stepper motor powered rotary table

Advert

Another stepper motor powered rotary table

Home Forums Workshop Tools and Tooling Another stepper motor powered rotary table

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    mike robinson 2
    Participant
      @mikerobinson2

Having used my 6 inch Vertex rotary for 2 years I wanted to find a better way to mount a chuck that didn’t consume unnecessary Z axis height and with the chuck removed also provide a platform for workholding that was more flexible than just 3 T slots. That went one step further (pun intended) with a desire to speed up manual operation. This is the result, which is as compact as I could achieve and prevents the often-seen massive overhang of the stepper motor hanging off an adaptor tube of some sort. The stepper driver and division controller is from Steve at World of Ward which gives increments down to .01 degrees with standard stepper driver settings.

screenhunter_5038 jan. 09 08.11.jpg

The design uses an inner sleeve over the existing indexing spindle housing and is located by 3 grub screws that conveniently fit into the existing machined recess in the housing. A slim profile NSK ball race with metal shields provides swarf protection without the drag of rubber seals and which supports an outer sleeve onto which a toothed belt pully is mounted which is fixed by 2 grub screws, these locate into matching dimples in the outer sleeve. The bearing takes about 80% of the small belt pre-tension load, the remaining small radial load is taken by the worm spindle. The drive from the outer sleeve to the worm spindle uses the same keyway as would normally be used to locate the standard indexing handle and the sleeve is located axially using the existing handle hex cap head screw and washer.

screenhunter_5039 jan. 09 08.11.jpg

screenhunter_5040 jan. 09 08.11.jpg

screenhunter_5049 jan. 09 08.26.jpg

screenhunter_5041 jan. 09 08.12.jpg

screenhunter_5042 jan. 09 08.12.jpg

screenhunter_5043 jan. 09 08.13.jpg

screenhunter_5044 jan. 09 08.14.jpg

screenhunter_5046 jan. 09 08.14.jpg

screenhunter_5047 jan. 09 08.16.jpg

I have a strong dislike for unprotected wires as seen on many projects with stepper motors. By chance I found an existing 3D model for Nema 23 size motors that was downloaded for free and sent to a 3D printer bureau. This link will give you a choice of end covers and with a lock type multi-pin connector the electrical connection is robust and can be easily disconnected. **LINK**

screenhunter_5048 jan. 09 08.16.jpg

After a lot of usage for indexing by degrees and divisions and also for accurate profiling I am pleased with how it all works and would like to thank Steve Ward for all his help with the initial set up.

Edited By mike robinson 2 on 09/01/2023 11:1

Advert
      mike robinson 2
      Participant
        @mikerobinson2
        mike robinson 2
        Participant
          @mikerobinson2

The 6 inch mounting plate is 0.8” thick and has 1 central 6mm reamed hole ½” deep (so a dowel wont fall right through) and 42 M6 tapped holes, 2 groups of 12 on 2 different PCD’s, the inner ring of which matches the Pratt Burnerd chuck mounting. The remaining holes are in a grid pattern. The 3 chuck location blocks were doweled in place and the chuck location register diameter machined in situ. This does not necessarily provide centre precision but does provide repeatability for relocating the chuck assuming the adaptor plate has not been removed. Centre accuracy measured at the chuck mounted 5/8" dowel pin was .0002” total indicated runout.

A few examples of the work for my Bolton Marine triple are included. The rotary table together with the DRO fitted to my Tom Senior E type mill (see other album) helps me be both precise and confident enough not to have to mark one part from another. As for speed, a few seconds for an index and your back to drilling another hole.

Profiling and stub drilling centres on the High pressure lower cylinder cover

screenhunter_5050 jan. 09 10.08.jpg

Low and Intermediate cylinder casting, note the cylinder bleed holes which are angled that exit 3/64" from the cylinder face.

screenhunter_5053 jan. 09 10.09.jpg

Lower cylinder covers and tooling sleeves to prvent damage to the LG2 bronze

screenhunter_5051 jan. 09 10.08.jpg

7BA (overlength) test studs fitted

screenhunter_5052 jan. 09 10.09.jpg

Tapping High Pressure cylinder stud holes 7 BA

screenhunter_5054 jan. 09 10.48.jpg

John Haine
          Participant
            @johnhaine32865

Very neat!

David George 1
            Participant
              @davidgeorge1

Very nicely done. I especialy like the motor conection cover. What are you using to drive the motor and is there a read out. A picture would be nice.

David

duncan webster 1
              Participant
                @duncanwebster1

Excellent! Are drawings available, would save me reinventing the wheel

simondavies3
                Participant
                  @simondavies3

Very nice – is the black finish on the adapter plates paint or anodysing?

Grizzly bear
                  Participant
                    @grizzlybear

Superb !

Great pictures too.

Bear……..

supb

mike robinson 2
                    Participant
                      @mikerobinson2

Thanks to all for the comments.

The controller is from Steve Ward here https://www.worldofward.com/ You can buy a kit or purchase ready made. There is a download section for manuals etc if you wanted to take a look at some of the details. The controller includes a adjustable setting to take into account any backlash.

The black finish is just satin black spray paint on top of a base coat of Upol #8 acid etch primer.

I don't have any drawings beyond my initial design but I will clean them up,check them and will re-post here when available. I am not sure how to share them so your suggestions appreciated…..

division controller.jpg

John Haine
                      Participant
                        @johnhaine32865

Mike a good question! I've been here since 2009 and even back then people were asking to be able to post files formats other than jpegs. You might be able to save your drawings as JPGs and post as photos, but for dxf etc it's best to upload them to a file sharing site such a Dropbox and post a link.

Paul Rhodes
                        Participant
                          @paulrhodes20292

Nice work Mike.

Ian P
                          Participant
                            @ianp
                            Posted by mike robinson 2 on 10/01/2023 14:24:20:

Thanks to all for the comments.

The controller is from Steve Ward here https://www.worldofward.com/ You can buy a kit or purchase ready made. There is a download section for manuals etc if you wanted to take a look at some of the details. The controller includes a adjustable setting to take into account any backlash.

The black finish is just satin black spray paint on top of a base coat of Upol #8 acid etch primer.

I don't have any drawings beyond my initial design but I will clean them up,check them and will re-post here when available. I am not sure how to share them so your suggestions appreciated…..

division controller.jpg

Mike

I too am impressed with your project (and the photographs!), rather than struggle with forum software and its limitations, why not write it up for an article in MEW?

I'm sure Neil and the readers would welcome it.

Ian P

mike robinson 2
                            Participant
                              @mikerobinson2

Ian, thanks for the motivation. I will give it a shot and see what Neil thinks.

ianj
                              Participant
                                @ians

Mike.

Looks very good. Did you 3D print the back cover or buy it? If you bought it could you point me in the direction of where from. I've found sites where you can down load the files to 3D print it, but as I don't have a printer that's not an option.

Ian J

mike robinson 2
                                Participant
                                  @mikerobinson2

Hi Ian, as above I downloaded the 3D model of the stepper end cover from here **LINK** this link will give you the available design options then I uploaded to a 3D printing service to generate the model. You can search for such services but here are links to 2 of them https://www.3dpeople.uk/ and https://www.hubs.com/3d-printing/united-kingdom/

Hope that helps

Robert Atkinson 2
                                  Participant
                                    @robertatkinson2

Very nice work Mike.

duncan webster 1
                                    Participant
                                      @duncanwebster1

The motor end cap sounds like a good business opportunity for some entrepreneur, come on Ketan!

Tony Pratt 1
                                      Participant
                                        @tonypratt1
                                        Posted by duncan webster on 11/01/2023 13:48:01:

The motor end cap sounds like a good business opportunity for some entrepreneur, come on Ketan!

I think you can already buy them????

Tony

duncan webster 1
                                        Participant
                                          @duncanwebster1

Well I've searched amazon and eBay to no avail, just one supplier in USA, which isn't going to work with postege and import duty. Anyone know a UK supplier, might be cheaper than getting a one off printed.

Baldric
                                          Participant
                                            @baldric

https://www.automationshop.co.uk/sy57-back-cover-ip40.html

I have previously designed & printed my own using 4-pin XLR connectors, the two motors I have, both same NEMA size, have diffeent mounting holes, but the one linked to seems to cover that option.

Baldric

duncan webster 1
                                            Participant
                                              @duncanwebster1

thanks

Stephen Ward 1
                                              Participant
                                                @stephenward1

Hi Duncan, unless you've moved you're not far from me and I have some printed here you can have one of FOC if you like.

duncan webster 1
                                                Participant
                                                  @duncanwebster1

That's a very generous offer, can't turn that down. I'll send you a pm to sort out collection.

ianj
                                                  Participant
                                                    @ians
                                                    Posted by Baldric on 12/01/2023 05:31:29:

https://www.automationshop.co.uk/sy57-back-cover-ip40.html

I have previously designed & printed my own using 4-pin XLR connectors, the two motors I have, both same NEMA size, have diffeent mounting holes, but the one linked to seems to cover that option.

Baldric

I've just tried to buy one from "https://www.automationshop.co.uk" but they have a minimum order of £100 !!

IanJ

ianj
                                                    Participant
                                                      @ians

Mike.

I like this setup so much I'm planning to build two for my 4" rotary tables both fitted with stepper motors and Steve Ward controllers. By studying your excellent photo's I think I get the general idea. I'm guessing you used a 2 : 1 ratio on the toothed pulleys? What size did you use ? MXL type ? number of teeth? Belt length?

Ian J

Edited By ian j on 13/01/2023 16:38:43

Edited By ian j on 13/01/2023 17:34:08

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)