Another new member

Advert

Another new member

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    fastbert
    Participant
      @fastbert

Based in Wakefield, West Yorkshire.

I’m not exactly new to the hobby, having had an old ML7 for 10 or 15 years, but was inactive with it for a lot of that time. I recently treated myself to a Super 7 dating from around 1980 with gearbox and power cross feed which is now set on it’s cabinet stand. I also have a Newton Tesla AV750 kit ready to fit, so once I have swapped out the motor and fitted the controller I should be good to go!

My interests lie primarily with stationary steam engines and also with model traction engines (although my lathe really restricts me to 1″ scale, or at most 1.5″ scale)

Greetings to all!

Advert
      Brian Baker 2
      Participant
        @brianbaker2

Welcome, get that Newton Tesla gear fitted up, which you will be pleased with, and away you go.

Regards

BB

Nigel Graham 2
        Participant
          @nigelgraham2

Welcome!

I’ve fitted the Newton-Tesla set to my Myford ML7, and am very pleased with it.

Do make sure the swarf cannot find the motor if it is not fully-enclosed. A short-circuit inside that from swarf penetration is more likely to wreck the inverter than the motor (and in my case it tripped the whole home supply too).

I fabricated a comprehensive splash-back / motor guard from 3mm PVC sheet, concealing the motor but still allowing plenty of air flow.

Do note that such a conversion should not be regarded as a complete replacement for the countershaft and back-gear drive, but augments it, as the motor should not be run at very low speeds for more than very brief manoeuvering.

Howard Lewis
          Participant
            @howardlewis46836

+1 formaking a cover to eclude swarf!

having nearly totalled the centrifugal switch on my single phase ML7, made up a simple sheet aluyminium cover to protect the motor from swarf.

When I up graded the lathe, made a similar cover for the new machine. (SuccessfUL for the last 20 years!)

The little time and effort involved, is agood investment to prevent expense, and inconvenience.

Howard

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)