Aluminium Grades for IC Engines

Advert

Aluminium Grades for IC Engines

Home Forums Materials Aluminium Grades for IC Engines

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Neil Bottle
    Participant
      @neilbottle22829

I’ve recently purchased the plans to make the Little Demon V8 designed by Steve Huck and I’m noticing a difference in grades of aluminium depending which country you’re in.

I know 6061 is more widely available in USA whereas in the UK I’m finding it very hard to find 6061 or even 7075, but what I have come across is 6082T6. Will this grade of aluminium be suitable for the Engine block, pistons and conrods? From my reading and research it would appear to be ok to use but I would like some opinions from those that have worked with it.

Advert
      JasonB
        @jasonb

6082 in T6 form will be OK for the block and pistons and is what I use

For conrods I would go with 2014 which is the old HE15 grade and is stronger than 6082 as well as being able to run without bearings if the design does not have them. Not so easy to find in rectangular section so you may have to start with round stock though M-Machine do a small range of sections.

Neil Bottle
        Participant
          @neilbottle22829

Thanks Jason. It will be a while until I reach the conrod section but that’s useful to know

Diogenes
          Participant
            @diogenes

L168 is also same as 2014a (4-5% copper Alu alloy), I have and continue to buy mine from here;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/metalbarends?_trksid=p4429486.m3561.l170197

..not any connection but always had reliable service & received grades as described.

bernard towers
            Participant
              @bernardtowers37738

Recently bought a piece (10mm x 200mm) of 7075 off the bay as an offcut to make conrods and very nice to machine.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)