Advanced search functions?

Advert

Advanced search functions?

Home Forums Website Questions, Comments, and Suggestions Advanced search functions?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Rainbows
    Participant
      @rainbows

Most forums have various settings in the onsite search engine. Search by title, author or contents. +,-, ascend by xyz, so on.

Trying to search for a thread a bit ago about steel stock for miniature railways. Any combination of the word steel, stock, track or rail dredges up essentially the entire website. The previous websites search engine probably would have done a bit better in this exact scenario vs the default search settings here. But surely theres a list of commands somewhere of all the filters? Or a control panel for the search bar that someone forgot to enable while setting up the website?

Advert
      Ian P
      Participant
        @ianp

This is not one of ‘Most forums’. It is a site all unto itself and it strives to be different.

Probably it is on the to-do list but not too near the top. My guess would mid July.

Ian P

Ian P
        Participant
          @ianp

I have just re-read your post and realised you were hoping for ‘advanced’ search functions, my estimate was for a  standard but usable search facility, so advanced might take a little longer.

Ian P

Martin of Wick
          Participant
            @martinofwick

Forget it,

You’ll get some blather from the admin about using google externally which helps a bit if you are prepared to faff about with search terms but searching on topics or threads as of old is fubar. Looks like current owners have no intention of remedials, which in time will ultimately lead to a spiral of decline.

Shame really as all the accumulated wisdom of the past has been flushed down the drain and the site has little value now as a knowledge base.

Dalboy
            Participant
              @dalboy
              On Ian P Said:

This is not one of ‘Most forums’. It is a site all unto itself and it strives to be different.

Probably it is on the to-do list but not too near the top. My guess would mid July.

Ian P

Yes but july in which year

Peter Greene
              Participant
                @petergreene36336

Given that the quality expectation of a product or service reflects the amount paid for it, perhaps it would be better to hold the sarcasm and carping, simply report the problems calmly and let the people responsible work on them at their own speed without constant harassment?

Michael Gilligan
                Participant
                  @michaelgilligan61133

For what it’s worth; which is clearly not much … I recall starting a thread [probably on the old forum site, just before the launch of this one] advocating the purchase, by Mortons, of a particular site-specific search engine.

This was dismissed, in the space of a few posts, by forum Members and Moderators alike.

It may, or may not, be significant that I have just spent more than 30 minutes searching for that thread Topic and failed to find it.

MichaelG.

Ref. This is the product:

https://www.zoomsearchengine.com/zoom/

… I have NO commercial interest in it, I simply admire its functionality.

EDIT: having found its name in my own files … I’ve now managed to find the original post, by searching here for zoomsearchengine

https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/topic/dedicated-search-engine/

John Haine
                  Participant
                    @johnhaine32865

Again FWIW and triggered by the OP I typed “site:model-engineer.co.uk haine” (without quotes) into Google and found all my old posts in a trice.  May not be ideal but as good as the old forum.

Ady1
                    Participant
                      @ady1

Just use the google search syntax for this place

dedicated search engine site:model-engineer.co.uk

Works for all the dif-ficult places, the bbc etc

Michael Gilligan
                      Participant
                        @michaelgilligan61133

It didn’t work for any of the variations I tried this morning

… pick&mix from:

gilligan michaelg dedicated site-specific search software engine

Ian P
                        Participant
                          @ianp
                          On Peter Greene Said:

Given that the quality expectation of a product or service reflects the amount paid for it, perhaps it would be better to hold the sarcasm and carping, simply report the problems calmly and let the people responsible work on them at their own speed without constant harassment?

Yes I plead guilty to sarcasm but it was intended to insert a little humorous into the sorry saga of this forums decline.

I have highlighted the part of your text and note that, ‘the people responsible’ have had MONTHS and still not many of the most basic website functions working.

There have been quite a few postings over the last weeks from forum members who have decided not to bother staying here, many others have stopped visiting without saying so (why should they anyway).

Ian P

JasonB
                            @jasonb

First result on Google a reply in that thread. I used two of the three words in the topic title as including engine may have drawn in a lot of other stuff.

dedicated

Michael Gilligan
                            Participant
                              @michaelgilligan61133

I can only “tell it like it was” for me early this morning, Jason

MichaelG.

roy entwistle
                              Participant
                                @royentwistle24699

It appears to be a lot faster loading.  There is an acute shortage of contributors.

Roy

John Haine
                                Participant
                                  @johnhaine32865

“dedicated search engine” is redundant – just site:<URL> <search terms> is enough.

JasonB
                                    @jasonb

I thought Dedicated Search Engine was what was being searched for much like you entered Haine

Nicholas Farr
                                    Participant
                                      @nicholasfarr14254

Hi, well I put just my surname into the box, beside the blue search, at the top of the forum page, and it shows 73 pages that have a number of my replies going back to April 2010.

Regards Nick.

Michael Gilligan
                                      Participant
                                        @michaelgilligan61133
                                        On JasonB Said:

I thought Dedicated Search Engine was what was being searched for much like you entered Haine

Exactly, Jason … my original thread was titled

Dedicated Search Engine

but the search box on this current site didn’t recognise that … which is why I went a-Googling [and unlike you, still failed to find it]

MichaelG.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)