Adhesion to build plate

Advert

Adhesion to build plate

Home Forums 3D Printers and 3D Printing Adhesion to build plate

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    John Doe 2
    Participant
      @johndoe2

I have an Anycubic Mega S and have used it for about a year, using Shapr3D and Cura slicer.

It has been a steep learning curve but I have worked through the Cura expert settings and machine set-up to arrive at a pretty good set up that can print quite well.

However, I have occasionally had bed adhesion failures, and recently been having a lot of print failures. The Mega S has a non-removable heated glass bed. I tried to print a PETG temperature tower 6 times, using a raft, but each time the tower lifted, moved and jammed into the extruder nozzle. Last night a print of a large fence post cap failed as the layers separated, but the exact same file printed two weeks ago printed OK, except for a bit of stringing and rippling.

I have resorted to gaffer-taping the models’ raft down onto the build plate, but even then, they sometimes lift.

I have cleaned the build plate multiple times with Acetone, and IPA, as I always have done, and also degreaser, and methylated spirit.

Can anyone suggest what might have happened ? I have cleaned as above and checked the Z clearance – with feeler gauge rather than paper.

Despite all my cleaning, might I have left a layer of something on the print bed ? – I seem to be getting a lot of adhesion issues at the moment, which I didn’t have before.

Cleaning advice and others’ experience would be welcome !

Advert
      noel shelley
      Participant
        @noelshelley55608

have you EVER use a silicon based product in the room or possibly the house or building ? if so then there may be traces that are causing your problem. Noel.

John Hinkley
        Participant
          @johnhinkley26699

Having also experienced some poor bed adhesion problems of late with an object of a size greater than I normally print, I suggest that you try printing with a brim instead of a raft. I tend to use one of 10mm width as belt and braces, although my slicing software defaults to 5mm. Additionally, try using a covering of glue stick applied to the bed plate.  Cheap “Pritt Stick” will do just fine.  I’ve not used PETG filament myself so my experience with PLA and PLA-CF may not be relevant to your circumstances.

John

mgnbuk
          Participant
            @mgnbuk

When I had adhesion issues with my Mega (PLA only – not tried other filaments) I found that slightly soapy water applied with a damped cloth, cleaned off with clean water & dried was more effective at restoring the normally very strong grip than IPA.

Nigel B.

John Doe 2
            Participant
              @johndoe2
              On noel shelley Said:

have you EVER use a silicon based product in the room or possibly the house or building ? if so then there may be traces that are causing your problem. Noel.

Ah……..good thinking Batman.

Not knowingly in the workshop, but contamination is a possibility; from a rag or my overalls or something. Whatever it is does seem to have ‘suddenly’ happened.

I had better work out how to clean possible silicone off the bed.

I have tried brim and raft, and multiple heat settings for the bed, extruder and cooling fan speed. I will try a Pritt stick as well.

And thanks too mgnbuk.

Neil Wyatt
                @neilwyatt

Temperature stability is essential for success with PETG, not sure if your printer is enclosed but it may be worth surrounding it with a ‘windbreak’.

I always used to use 50% diluted PVA and got excellent adhesion with PETG, Nylon, ABS and PLA on glass.

These days I’m lazy and use a generic glue stick.

Neil

John Doe 2
                Participant
                  @johndoe2

I don’t know if I saw your reply Neil, or worked it out by myself, but I have been using diluted PVA brushed on, and the results are amazing.

So much so, that I sometimes have major difficulty getting the finished print off the bed now. And the black paint on the (heated glass) bed is gradually coming off – sticking to the base of the printed items.

Nylon is still lifting a but, but PLA and PETG are now staying very well stuck !

Thank you !

(I also use a large cardboard box placed over the entire printer during printing. Not sure if this is helping or not).

Shugs
                  Participant
                    @shugs
                  Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)