4MM Carbide end mill marks

Advert

4MM Carbide end mill marks

Home Forums Workshop Techniques 4MM Carbide end mill marks

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    BOB BLACKSHAW 1
    Participant
      @bobblackshaw1

15943992171496885420766624000176.jpgI used a new 4mm carbide end mill on mild steel using a rotary table and the results gave these marks. I used a higher speed as it was a carbide end mill rather than HSS, any ideas why this has happened, also tried a slower speeds but the same happened.

Bob

Advert
      BOB BLACKSHAW 1
      Participant
        @bobblackshaw1
        JasonB
          @jasonb

Look like they are at about 4degree spacing so could be related to cranking the handwheel, is there much play in your rotary table?

Brian Wood
          Participant
            @brianwood45127

Bob,

I would hazard a guess at these marks being evidence of vibration or tool snatching. Rotary table braking to stiffen the action might improve it and a lot will depend of whether you were 'climb' milling

Regards Brian

Tony Pratt 1
            Participant
              @tonypratt1

Are you 'climb milling' i.e. the cutter rotation tends to pull the work around?

Tony

BOB BLACKSHAW 1
              Participant
                @bobblackshaw1

Thanks for the advice, my rotary table is a Soba and its new and has no play and it feels tight, I was not climb milling but I done a fine cut .05mm and got the marks out, Perhaps my first cut .3mm caused the cutter to vibrate.

Thanks Bob

old mart
                Participant
                  @oldmart

I have had some problems like that with the drill mill but not the Tom Senior. Two possibilities spring to mind, either the spindle bearings in the DM are not as good, of the speeds being different can affect vibration and some kind of resonance.

These problems are difficult to diagnose without a lot of time consuming testing.

Even taking the tool out of the collet and refitting it might make a difference.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)