4 Way Tool Holder ??

Advert

4 Way Tool Holder ??

Home Forums Beginners questions 4 Way Tool Holder ??

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Allen Paddock
    Participant
      @allenpaddock42703
      Hi and hello,Ive have recently bought a Myford super seven and it has a single tool post holder on it and i was thinking of getting a 4 way tool holder now the question ,Which would be a good type to buy (not too expensive mind)and are they easy to fit ie just take off the original one and replace with 4 poster i ask this as with other hobbies i have i rushed out and had some bad buys so over to you ,
      Advert
      Allen Paddock
      Participant
        @allenpaddock42703
        wheeltapper
        Participant
          @wheeltapper
          I,m only a beginner too, but my personal choice is a quick change toolpost.
          I’ve never liked the idea of having one tool poking into the work and three poking into me .

my two pence.

cheers
          Roy
          mgj
          Participant
            @mgj
            Wheeltapper I agree entirely. Its just a PITA packing and shimming under tools, and then keeping the tool and shim pack together and never having quite the right bit of shim, and taking one out when you regrind a surface.

So a quick change post is a much more convenient bet IMO. You can always add to the kit later, buying single holders as you go along.

The question is which QCH. I have a Myford Dickson one on the Myford, and one of the lever operated ones from Arctrade Euro on the big lathe. (Chronos also do the same piston operated one) I just have too many toolholders to change on the Myford now, but starting again, the Chinese cheapie is infinitely better.

There is a problem with those Dickson types – much copied, (Chronos and Axminster and RDS) and some of the copies don’t fit that precisely and those are not as rigid as some. Maybe they don’t use a mounting block thats identical to the original? Trouble is you never know quite which holders you are getting, because some do fit perfectly!.

Edited By meyrick griffith-jones on 13/10/2009 22:21:13

David Clark 13
            Participant
              @davidclark13
              Hi There
              I would buy one from Myford and only buy holders from Myford.
              Myford holders have W stamped on them.
              All Myford holders are made to tight limits and buying from one maker they should all be the same.
              If not, send the dodgy ones back for replacement.
              I doubt there will be any though.
              The only thing about the Myford is that the rear block only has one tool position but the cheapos have two positions. If you want a back post, maybe Myford will supply a two way for the back.
              They are ideal for facing.
              regards David
              david lockwood
              Participant
                @davidlockwood10028
                Hi there I have recently bought a Dickson type quick change tool holder but I had a real game fitting it as my top slide had been modified and had a large bush round the stud on top and the four-way tool-post had been bored out to accept it. A new top slide was purchased and this was again in bad condition the stud had to be remade and the top face where the quick-change seats had to be remachined to give an adequate fit. All this done and when the happy moment when I finally got to use it arrived I found that I seem barely able to get a decent finish as the tool chatters terribly I put this down to the inherently larger overhang then on the four-way tool-post but I will experiment more before I give in with the quick-change any advise would be helpful

regards David
                Rob Manley
                Participant
                  @robmanley79788
                  How much of the toolpost is in contact with the topslide?  I made a 3/32″ thick steel washer to go under mine – and have got it as large as i can to give maximum rigidity.  It also prevents swarf – especially the brass chips that get everywhere – from getting underneath it.  Also, make sure that the toolpost is NOT a tight fit on the central clamping bolt because it may not be accuratly upright and any force trying to straighten it isnt doing its job of clamping it down firmly.  Also, (nearly there) put a square along the top of the topslide because i have seen quite a few bowed under the pressure from the clamping bolt and that will cause the tool post to vibrate like mad and the only way to solve that is to machine it flat again and not do it up so tight.  

Rob.   😀
                  mgj
                  Participant
                    @mgj
                    Have a look and see if the tool holders really fit. Hold them up against the light. if they came as a set, you should be OK.

Topslide gib strips?

David – as for Myford toolholders having anything on them – no. Fraid not – or not these ones. The only way one can tell is the different knurl pattern. Perhaps more modern ones have identifying marks. The main block has 2 positions and Dickson Surrey on the side. 

My problem is I cant remember whether its the Chronos ones or the Axminster ones that fit fine. (for buying more) Still its only a couple  and they do light duty – chamfering nad rounding edges, or holding knurling tools.
                  Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)