36 TPI left hand thread

Advert

36 TPI left hand thread

Home Forums Beginners questions 36 TPI left hand thread

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Peter Simpson 3
    Participant
      @petersimpson3

Hi all.

I need to cut some 1/4″ X 36tpi LH threads. Looked for a die with no joy. As the length of thread is about 1/2″ in length. Would you grind a HSS tool or use a 55′ insert. The thread runs up to a shoulder with a small under cut.

Advert
      JasonB
        @jasonb

Unless the shoulder is not much more than the 1/4 thread then using a 55deg DCMT insert will mean it hits the shoulder. A 55 deg threading insert will get quite a lot closer. But you could probably get closer still with an HSS one if the “point” were kept to the edge of the tool as much as possible.

Oldiron
        Participant
          @oldiron

It is always worth taking a shot at an unusual thread if you have no tap or die.  Practice on some scrap or extra bar a few times to perfect the routine. Good luck.

Peter Simpson 3
          Participant
            @petersimpson3

I have ordered some 4mm square HSS so should be able to get close to the shoulder. I have the original female part so will be able to practice until I get a decent male thread.

Ian P
            Participant
              @ianp

4mm square HSS

How will you hold the tool after grinding it?

Ian P

JasonB
                @jasonb

Would have thought in his tool post, may need packing below and even above if screws are not long enough, that’s how I do it with 3mm and 4mm.

Some people make a dedicated holder that then goes into the toolpost.

peak4
                Participant
                  @peak4

Fortunately it’s a left hand thread, so easy to cut away from the shoulder.
                  I think I’d be tempted to grind the end of a parting blade to 55° and use that.

Then again, I’ve never had formal training.

Bill

Huub
                  Participant
                    @huub

Are you sure it is a 55° (whitworth) thread, most threads are 60° (Metric, UNC, etc).

Make a jig to hold the tool at the required 55° or 60°. That makes (re)grinding an easy job and you don’t grind away a lot of the tool so it can last a hobby life time.

For special thread forms, i put a square bar in the tool post and drill a 4 mm hole in it (drill in the chuck). That way, the hole is on center and aligned. Then I glue (soft solder) a piece of round 4 mm HSS stock in that hole. Finally I grind the required cutting edges.

If you put a grinding disk in the chuck, you can set the angle using the tool post. Shim the tip of the cutter a bit for a little clearance.

Anonymous
                      On Huub Said:

Are you sure it is a 55° (whitworth) thread, most threads are 60° (Metric, UNC, etc).

Good question, the only standard 36tpi thread I can find is 8-36 UNF. I’d use an appropriate lefthanded, internal, 36tpi unified insert.

Andrew

Peter Simpson 3
                      Participant
                        @petersimpson3

It is definitely 36TPI the OD is 0.248″ I assume it is imperial 55′ as the part was made by BSA in the late 1940’s  Tracy tools do W/form taps and dies in 1/4″ 36TPI but do not show LH versions.

JasonB
                          @jasonb

1/4 x 36 does fall under UNS so could be 60deg as a special but at 36tpi will probably work with 55 on 60 mix.

Hopper
                          Participant
                            @hopper
                            On Peter Simpson 3 Said:

It is definitely 36TPI the OD is 0.248″ I assume it is imperial 55′ as the part was made by BSA in the late 1940’s  Tracy tools do W/form taps and dies in 1/4″ 36TPI but do not show LH versions.

BSA guns or BSA motorcycles? If the latter, they used a mix of BSW, BSF and CEI, ie Cycle Engineers Institute thread, which is 60 degrees. But usually only comes in 20 or 26 TPI. But thread standards are only for fasteners. Special parts etc used all kinds of oddball threads according to the draughtsman’s whim. In practice, commercially made threads generally have enough clearance that 60 and 55 degree parts will screw together, so it is not critical.

You might try using the more usual 1/4″ (6mm) HSS blanks to make your screwcutting tool. It will allow more stick-out without flexing than 4mm. You just grind the V point over to one side so you can get up close to a shoulder. Also, a hand crank for the lathe spindle makes screwcutting up to a shoulder a doddle.

One thing to note about inserts, should you in future go that route, is that standard inserts are for RH threads only. LH thread requires the flank clearance on the insert to be on the other side to clear the LH helix.

JA
                            Participant
                              @ja

If it is a 1940s to 70s BSA motorcycle it could be anything. I remember the bolts holding the chain wheel onto the rear hub on my Bantam were …… (not in any book). Just a comment, there is a standard 36 tpi Whitworth thread – microscope thread (51/64″ x 36tpi). I cut one a couple of weeks ago. It was also common practice for threads to be cut on larger bolts by opening up the die box (1920s AJSs and Bristol piston aeroengines at least).

As for tool grinding, I do all mine by hand. It takes a little bit of time and just enough skill for a spotty little apprentice to acquire in half an hour. Just be careful of the wheel.

JA

Michael Gilligan
                              Participant
                                @michaelgilligan61133

Just to support JA’s microscope comment:

.IMG_5941

… and the reference gauges that were supplied to the major British manufacturers were produced by the Whitworth company.

MichaelG.

duncan webster 1
                                Participant
                                  @duncanwebster1

As it’s a left hand thread you will be cutting away from the shoulder, so no need for crank handles. Here’s a photo of my holder for 3/16 bits, as someone else said, grind the point off to the left hand side and you don’t need to go down to really small bit. IMG_20240414_132818

Howard Lewis
                                  Participant
                                    @howardlewis46836

My latest Tracy Tools catalogue is dated 2020, and on page 3 they offer 1/4 x 36 in BSCY, UNS and Whitform (Specials) but there is not the usual mention of LH carrying a 200% premium. It is there on page 4.

Have you tired contacting them, to see of they can provide a Die that you want?

If your chucl is screw on without safety dogs, beware that it doesn’t try ro unscew as you use the Die.

Alternatively, you will have to start the die and then continue rotating the Die by hand with the chuck staionary.

If you are screw cutting, You won’t have that problem, but the tumbler reverse will be moving the Saddle away from the chuck, and, the shoulder on the job.

If not, then you are going to be looking for the changewheels for 36 tpi, and making up a tool, either to hold an inseret, or grinding one.

Howard

John Purdy
                                    Participant
                                      @johnpurdy78347

Here are the tool bits I use to cut fine threads up to a shoulder ( 40 ME and fine metric), 60 deg. on the left, 55 deg. on the right. Notice the 6 and 5 etched into the top so I can tell them apart! They are ground on 3/16 sq. HSS blanks. Initially I ground them free  hand (with the assistance of a loupe ! ), but I now do it on the Quorn. I hold them in the Dickson QC tool holder shimmed up to centre height.

tool

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)