3″ – 4″ scale

Advert

3″ – 4″ scale

Home Forums Beginners questions 3″ – 4″ scale

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    UncouthJ
    Participant
      @uncouthj

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Hey folks…</p>
      I’m sure there were some very detailed answers to this on the old forum, and not going to get into the loss of content upset here…

However… If I have plans for a 3″ traction model, specifically a Suffolk dredging tractor, can I just add a 1/12″ to each dimension to make a 4″ scale or is it more complex?

Ta muchly

J

Advert
      norm norton
      Participant
        @normnorton75434

You will have to re-draw it. Not too hard. Most of the dimensions can be multiplied by 4/3 to give you a 4″ scale model, but some of the dimensions on the 3″ drawings will have been set to specify standard material like 1/8″ plate or a 1/2″ shaft. Now you are going to have problems if you try and apply 4/3 to everything.

Threads cannot be upped by 4/3. You will have to choose a suitable replacement ME (32 or 40tpi) or BA thread. That’s why it is a re-draw and redesign.

Can you not find a 4″ engine that you would like to build?

Norm

JasonB
          @jasonb

As Norman says 4/3 is the ratio you need, the four (4 x 3″) takes it up to full size and the three (12″ / 3″) brings it down to 4″ Then adjust to sensible sizes.

The boiler will also need new calculations as that can’t be done by the simple 4/3 method

UncouthJ
          Participant
            @uncouthj

Yeah I get certain things such as you mention will be ‘bodge its’. I’m after function over form. Just want something to pootle round the rally fields and I adore the Suffolk.

ATB

J

norm norton
            Participant
              @normnorton75434

Yes the boiler is a nuisance because an existing design can be approved under the UK scheme but if you rescale it exactly to 4/3, or any other scale you think of, it is a new design. Scuppered is the term.

Norm

UncouthJ
              Participant
                @uncouthj

Ah ok that’s definitely an important consideration. I’m 90% sure I have the drawings for the boiler itself in 4″ in one of my boiler books, so that might not be too much of an issue.

Didn’t know boilers were graded on an existing or new template. Thought they just had to pass a hydro test.

bernard towers
                Participant
                  @bernardtowers37738

Boiler testing info avail from FMES, it would make a good read for you and also help take away any nasty surprises.

UncouthJ
                  Participant
                    @uncouthj

Can’t seem to like your post in the new format so have a couple of these instead 👍👍 thanks Bernard

Grindstone Cowboy
                    Participant
                      @grindstonecowboy

Just for the record, the ability to ‘Like’ a post never existed in the old format either 🙂

Rob

UncouthJ
                      Participant
                        @uncouthj

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Oh did it not? Confusing my forums…</p>

duncan webster 1
                        Participant
                          @duncanwebster1
                          On norm norton Said:

Yes the boiler is a nuisance because an existing design can be approved under the UK scheme but if you rescale it exactly to 4/3, or any other scale you think of, it is a new design. Scuppered is the term.

Norm

Just get a copy of the Australian code and do a few sums. Most of it is in look up tables, so that doesn’t need sums.

UncouthJ
                          Participant
                            @uncouthj

Good tip 👍

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)