1920s lathe spindle removal

Advert

1920s lathe spindle removal

Home Forums Model Engineer. 1920s lathe spindle removal

Viewing 17 posts - 26 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Ian P
    Participant
      @ianp

I can see a long bolt sticking out of the headstock casting and the only other screw in your last picture looks to be a coarse threaded grubscrew partly unscrewed from the small sheave on the pulley.

All three pulley sheaves and the (middle) gear in your picture should be mechanically joined to each other and be capable of rotating freely in the spindle (to drive the backgear).

Is the bull wheel the only thing solidly keyed/joined/fixed to the headstock spindle?

The smallest gear in your picture I assume drives the screwcutting gearing so somehow that must be part of or fixed/keyed to the spindle.

What kind of bearings does the spindle run in?

Can you show a picture of the end view of the headstock that shows that end of the spindle

Ian P

Advert
      Aston Manning
      Participant
        @astonmanning46959

I don’t know what this screw is for 8bf8ab0f-1780-4dc7-98de-6aed499b9ea7.jpeg

Aston Manning
        Participant
          @astonmanning46959

The two other gears are keyed

Ian P
          Participant
            @ianp
            Posted by Aston Manning on 26/07/2023 15:33:51:

The two other gears are keyed

To each other or to the spindle?

Ian P

Aston Manning
            Participant
              @astonmanning46959

The spindle

Ian P
              Participant
                @ianp

Something odd here.

If the two gears near the small end of the pulley cone are keyed or fixed to the spindle then when the backgear is engaged the whole thing will lock up.

Ian P

PS I have no idea either what the screw is for, yes its a screw but it is in, or part of something.

Aston Manning
                Participant
                  @astonmanning46959

The small gear is keyed to the shaft, the larger gear is connected to the 3 pulleys which move freely on the spindle until they are engaged with the pin on the bull wheel. I made a mistake on my previous comment

Nicholas Farr
                  Participant
                    @nicholasfarr14254
                    Posted by Aston Manning on 26/07/2023 13:01:31:

I’ve decided not to drill it, I just remembered that this screw used to be in it

64cdf752-a0ce-4c41-9aea-75f7174c530e.jpeg
                    8bf8ab0f-1780-4dc7-98de-6aed499b9ea7.jpeg
                    4700882e-3bb7-4de1-a1a0-cba01a323cca.jpeg

I don’t know what this screw is for 8bf8ab0f-1780-4dc7-98de-6aed499b9ea7.jpeg

Hi Aston, so where does it go?

Regards Nick.

Aston Manning
                    Participant
                      @astonmanning46959

That was screwed in the hole in the bull gear

Nicholas Farr
                      Participant
                        @nicholasfarr14254

Hi Aston, so why did you say earlier that you didn't know what it is for.

Regards Nick.

Bazyle
                        Participant
                          @bazyle

The screw in the pulley is just for oiling the pulley when it is running free on the spindle when using back gear. The pulleys having been remachined it may have all been reassembled wrongly with bits keyed that shouldn't be.
                          Often as you withdraw the spindle from the headstock the bull wheel slides along the shaft but with age or excess force the key may be kinked and stuck.

Michael Gilligan
                          Participant
                            @michaelgilligan61133

That sounds very logical, Bazyle … Although the Poly-V pulleys look very tidy, there has obviously been some abuse in the assembly department crying 2

MichaelG.

Bazyle
                            Participant
                              @bazyle

On re-reading I think you need to measure accurately the depth of the grub screw hole in the bull wheel bush. The purpose is to determine if the 'bottom' of the hole is exactly the side of the spindle, or deeper ie into a keyway, or less deep indicating there is a key in place.
                              I suspect the big screw thing is a bodge that was going down into the keyway or into a dimple if there is no keyway and has created a gouge and burr that is now jamming the bull wheel onto the spindle.

At the non-chuck end of the headstock have you released whatever holds the spindle in and is there a keyway right to the back end of the spindle? This would be needed for the key holding the smallest gear as the spindle is removed.

Once you are clear the small gear will be free to move, and those nuts at the chuck end are released as we don't know if they are for bearing adjustment or endfloat control, and there is no grub screw in the bull wheel hole it will be time to bash the spindle out.

Ian P
                              Participant
                                @ianp
                                Posted by Aston Manning on 26/07/2023 15:05:25:

I need to fit a new belt. It’s a continuous belt so I need to remove the spindle. I’ve loosened everything on the spindle apart from the bull wheel which I have no idea how to remove

i was referring to the screw in the picture which screws on to the bull gear

From your pictures the pulleys look to be for a PolyVee belt although much wider (more ribs) than would be expected. If the old belt as wide as the pulleys then it could transmit more power than the lathe could handle although it would last an eternity.

Did you remove the belt by cutting it off and was it actually PolyVee type? and if so how wide was it? (just curious) smiley.

Another question. Is the small gear on the end of the spindle one that is integral with the spindle i.e.machined as part of the spindle. If so then that has to pass through the front bearing at least for the spindle to be extracted.

Ian P

Aston Manning
                                Participant
                                  @astonmanning46959

Thanks all I’ve managed to get it apart now, it is keyed. The problem now is getting it all back together😬

bricky
                                  Participant
                                    @bricky

T&LM are listed on the lathes website is it one of them.I have a stub miller that is T&LM ?

Frank

Aston Manning
                                    Participant
                                      @astonmanning46959

It’s a lot different from the ones on the website

I’m having trouble putting the bullwheel on it’s a very tight fit. I might have to make a jig to push it in to place, any ideas? 🤷‍♂️

Viewing 17 posts - 26 through 42 (of 42 total)