1920s lathe spindle removal

Advert

1920s lathe spindle removal

Home Forums Model Engineer. 1920s lathe spindle removal

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Aston Manning
    Participant
      @astonmanning46959

Goodmorning, I have an old lathe and can’t remove the bull gear from the spindle

I think it’s the bull gear is threaded on the spindle.

I want to know the best possible way to remove it.

I can put a pair of grips on the spindle but I don’t want to bend or create burs I’ve tried to remove it this way already but it, it’s on very tight

lathe 2.jpg

Advert
      Aston Manning
      Participant
        @astonmanning46959

Old lathe

vic newey
        Participant
          @vicnewey60017

What make is it? the grooved belt pulley is rather unusual

Ady1
          Participant
            @ady1

The bull gear tends to be keyed directly to the spindle because it is the last link in the backgear

So tapping the spindle forwards usually releases it from the spindle

The pulley and small backgear on the spindle are usually independent from the spindle

Don't recognise your unit, it looks pretty fancy, is that an integrated tumble reverse at the back?

edit: Whatever it is it may also be keyed onto the spindle

Edited By Ady1 on 25/07/2023 10:25:32

Ady1
            Participant
              @ady1

If it was threaded on then it might unscrew under pressure in reverse which would be disasterous so there's a 99% chance the bullgear is not threaded on

Bill Davies 2
              Participant
                @billdavies2

Looks a bit like a Britannia lathe, except that the backgears at the screwcutting gear end look unusual to me. I would expect nuts at that end of the spindle, which control the tightness of the bearings, and which, if removed, may allow the spindle to come out through the front spindle, as Ady1 suggests.

Bill

Aston Manning
                Participant
                  @astonmanning46959

Thanks all, that makes sense. it isn’t threaded there’s a gap just big enough to see where the threads end

the make is LM, I haven’t seen anything that make like it on the internet

I can’t tap tap it out because of the two bearing adjusting nuts

I’ve tried hitting the gear with a hammer and wooden block to try to loosen it but there is no movement at all

The spindle has most likely been out before because the pulleys are grooved

there’s not a big enough gap to pry it

Aston Manning
                  Participant
                    @astonmanning46959

5a75a575-30b3-43b4-9f8c-36c7c3f91e8b.jpeg

Ady1
                    Participant
                      @ady1

There's a Drummond headstock here

Ian P
                      Participant
                        @ianp

I think it highly unlikely that the bull gear has an internal thread onto the spindle, most likely it is keyed especially if there is no grubscrew or hole for one.

From the pictures you have shown its not really possible for anyone to see enough detail of how the spindle/headstock is arranged. What is the bearing at the rear of the spindle?

Is the pulley itself free to rotate when the backgear is disengaged? (I presume it on an eccentric spindle)

What sort of bearings supports the main spindle, Plain or ballrace?

There appears to be a painted over screw on a cover at the back of the spindle, removing that cover might show something.

Ian P

Ady1
                        Participant
                          @ady1

The first bits off will have to be the bits at each end of the spindle on the outside of the housing

If you can't do that then the rest of it is academic

Ian P
                          Participant
                            @ianp
                            Posted by Ady1 on 25/07/2023 13:58:34:

The first bits off will have to be the bits at each end of the spindle on the outside of the housing

If you can't do that then the rest of it is academic

+1

old mart
                            Participant
                              @oldmart

The spindle will almost certainly come out to the right (chuck end). Look at the left end for threaded rings which control the end float and also hold the spindle in.

Aston Manning
                              Participant
                                @astonmanning46959

There is a hole for a grub screw

I don’t know if it has been broken off in the past and some of the screw has been left in the hole?
                                Is it wise to drill it out and retap it once off just in case or will I risk damaging anything? It’s the only thing I can think of why it’s not coming off

cdfdcca6-eca2-44e7-8335-905f5da2a489.jpeg

Nicholas Farr
                                Participant
                                  @nicholasfarr14254

Hi Aston, shouldn't do any harm drilling it out, try one that fits in the hole first, but you need to get some idea as to how deep to drill it, as it's probably in a dimple, and you may need a solid carbide or cobalt drill bit if it's a hardened grub screw.

Regards Nick.

Ian P
                                  Participant
                                    @ianp
                                    Posted by Nicholas Farr on 26/07/2023 11:20:53:

Hi Aston, shouldn't do any harm drilling it out, try one that fits in the hole first, but you need to get some idea as to how deep to drill it, as it's probably in a dimple, and you may need a solid carbide or cobalt drill bit if it's a hardened grub screw.

Regards Nick.

The hole shown in the picture appears to be in the headstock casting (bearing housing) so more likely to be a lubrication hole. I cannot imagine it would have a grubscrew in it.

Almost 100% the spindle should be removed from the chuck end.

Is there any movement endfloat at all in the spindle?

What is under the cover at the right hand end of the spindle?

Does the pulley revolve freely relative to the spindle?

A picture showing more of the headstock arrangement (not a close up) might help.

Ian P

Just noticed there are two hols in the last picture, one being in the bull wheel. More likely a pin than a grubscrew if its in the bull wheel as it has to transmit a lot of torque.

Edited By Ian P on 26/07/2023 11:33:10

Aston Manning
                                    Participant
                                      @astonmanning46959

I’ve decided not to drill it, I just remembered that this screw used to be in it

64cdf752-a0ce-4c41-9aea-75f7174c530e.jpeg
                                      8bf8ab0f-1780-4dc7-98de-6aed499b9ea7.jpeg
                                      4700882e-3bb7-4de1-a1a0-cba01a323cca.jpeg

Ady1
                                      Participant
                                        @ady1

It looks like it could be a rather good precision lathe

Aston Manning
                                        Participant
                                          @astonmanning46959

24337719-f4f9-4651-b77b-bb9d81f65327.jpeg

Aston Manning
                                          Participant
                                            @astonmanning46959

c67367d4-c879-49d9-a83e-ed25b8613352.jpeg

Aston Manning
                                            Participant
                                              @astonmanning46959

I have no idea what the screw is for🤷‍♂️

Ady1
                                              Participant
                                                @ady1

I suppose I should ask the unasked question

Why do you want to remove the bull gear from the spindle?

Ian P
                                                Participant
                                                  @ianp
                                                  Posted by Aston Manning on 26/07/2023 13:10:06:

I have no idea what the screw is for🤷‍♂️

Which screw are you referring to?

Ian P

Aston Manning
                                                  Participant
                                                    @astonmanning46959

I need to fit a new belt. It’s a continuous belt so I need to remove the spindle. I’ve loosened everything on the spindle apart from the bull wheel which I have no idea how to remove

i was referring to the screw in the picture which screws on to the bull gear

Howard Lewis
                                                    Participant
                                                      @howardlewis46836

Silly question.

What happens if you take C spanners to the nuts and unscrew them?

Do they control the endfloat, acting on the adjacent bearing?

If so, unscrewing them ought to let the spindle move through the bearing and out of the Bull Wheel and three sheave pulley, to allow the new belt to be fitted.

Then just a matter of reassembly and restting bthe end float of the spindle.

Howard

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 42 total)