12 inch 3 in 1 bender roller guillotine.

Advert

12 inch 3 in 1 bender roller guillotine.

Home Forums General Questions 12 inch 3 in 1 bender roller guillotine.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    BOB BLACKSHAW 1
    Participant
      @bobblackshaw1

Hello all,

A few years ago I bought a Clark 3 in 1 bender ,roller etc, I’ve not used it much only the guillotine for thin brass, the other day I needed to roll some 3mm wire and the machine looked wrong. The two feed rollers should have the grooves for the wire but mine has the bottom roller with  the groove with the adjusting  roller with the groove. It’s the same as the Warco machine but that on the photo is how the rollers should be and also my instructions show the same. I phoned Clark which is now Machine Mart,sent photos and spoke to the technical department, they agreed that it must of been made wrong, they sent me three rollers from a stripped down new machine, (only needed one) and the three rollers are the same as what I’ve got. The machine they stripped down is no different from mine, I can make the roller to fit mine with a bit of lathe work. Can anyone explain this.

Thanks Bob

Advert
      SillyOldDuffer
        @sillyoldduffer

Be hard to explain if these benders were all made in one factory, and that one factory applied a consistent quality regime, but that’s not  how it works!

The design is long out of patent protection so anyone in the world can make them.   Developing economies often feature multiple start-ups rushing to make cheap stuff, where the start-up can be anything between a few men in a shed and a brand-new CNC shop with full Total Quality Management.   How well-made the same item is by these different enterprises varies,  with the small guys more likely to misread drawings, cut corners, or assemble parts incorrectly.  A mix of good and bad arrive on the wholesale market.

Western sellers buying this class of inexpensive tooling wholesale rarely do more quality checks.  Instead, they protect the customer from lemons by replace or refund and are more careful about buying next time.

It’s a highly imperfect process, but poor quality goods are slowly squeezed out as economies develop.   In my youth ‘Made in Japan’ usually meant ‘cheap rubbish’:  not so today, now it usually means ‘high-end’.   The same is happening in China.   I’m expecting someone else to become the next developing economy – perhaps it’s Africa’s turn!   After industrialisation, the next phase appears to be a British invention – the ‘Post Industrial’ economy.   Currently being adopted by Europe and the USA.   Makes money, but has another set of  disadvantages.

Dave

Dave Halford
        Participant
          @davehalford22513

The grooves are meant for bending wire. If the depth of the groove almost equals the width then the mating plain roller is likely correct.

Ches Green UK
          Participant
            @chesgreenuk

Bob,

As Dave says, I imagine the ‘design appreciation’ and/or quality control at the manufacturer of the Bender wasn’t up to scratch.

Also the point about countries moving through the steps from farming> manufacturing> services is quite fascinating (and slightly worrying?) ie …

…. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tertiary_sector_of_the_economy

Economies tend to follow a developmental progression that takes them from heavy reliance on agriculture and mining, toward the development of manufacturing (e.g. automobiles, textiles, shipbuilding, steel) and finally toward a more service-based structure. The first economy to follow this path in the modern world was the United Kingdom. The speed at which other economies have made the transition to service-based (or “post-industrial”) economies has increased over time.

Personally, I believe the UK should retain the bare minimum of a manufacturing base….you’ll never know when you might need it!

Ches

Bazyle
            Participant
              @bazyle

From your description I cannot make out what your problem is. You seem to say that two rollers have grooves as per photo. What photo? the one on the Warco website seems to show grooves in top and bottom rollers……

BOB BLACKSHAW 1
              Participant
                @bobblackshaw1
                  <li style=”text-align: left;”>Mine doesn’t only the bottom roller has th17251103949244135416508836129807e groove .
                Diogenes
                Participant
                  @diogenes

Aren’t they just there to stop the hoop flopping over and becoming a helix?

Edit; ..meaning it doesn’t matter where they are as long as everything stands up straight?

Martin Kyte
                  Participant
                    @martinkyte99762

<p style=”text-align: left;”>I would say yours is correct. GHT designed a bending rolls set with grooved lower and adjustable roller for rolling T and L sections. The upper pinch roller needs to pinch the material in the groove and the rear adjustable roller has to be grooved to accept  it.</p>
                    regards Martin

Mark Rand
                    Participant
                      @markrand96270

I would try it with a bit of wire/bar and see how it does. If it works, put the spare rollers in a safe place. If it doesn’t, modify one of them to suit.

JasonB
                        @jasonb

Probably need the pair of grooved one above the other to prevent the work becoming “D” shaped which could happen if the ungrooved top roll is running on the round wire. May not be a problem on easily bent 3mm but as thickness goes up pressure and No of passes may have an effect.

Interesting that the Machine Mart site shows the 12″ with plain top roll but the wider ones with grooved top roll to match the lower. Looking at Stakesys they have 4 small rolls, two with plain top roll and two with grooved.

BOB BLACKSHAW 1
                        Participant
                          @bobblackshaw1

Machine Mart agreed that they must be made wrong,obviously not that’s the design now.

Bob

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)