12 BA Die, Carbon or HSS

Advert

12 BA Die, Carbon or HSS

Home Forums Workshop Tools and Tooling 12 BA Die, Carbon or HSS

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    duncan webster 1
    Participant
      @duncanwebster1
      …….

Your calculator will tell you that 0.9^12 = 0.282mm or 89.9 tpi. That would be a challenge to produce with change gears.

But 90 tpi should be possible, and it would be near enough for for a rough mechanic like me.

If I had to do this by hand, I’d make  a holder that held the normal die and in front of it a guide with a clearance hole. I seem to remember GHT describing something along those lines

Advert
      Grindstone Cowboy
      Participant
        @grindstonecowboy

Way back in my mis-spent youth, I recall one of the mechanics I worked for had a die-holder – fairly sure it was a Snap-On – which had an adjustable guide which worked a bit like a camera iris. You closed it down onto the rod you were threading (I think it locked in place with a thumbscrew) and it then provided extra support to keep the die straight.

Obviously a bit on the large side for 12 B.A. though.

Rob

bernard towers
        Participant
          @bernardtowers37738

I was a bit concerned about not using a floating die holder. Using a proper tailstock based holder would cure yoour problem.Time taken to change tools is minuscule compared to the whole job I find. The image below was made on my Petal with tailstock die holder and 0.375 dia die which is non adjustable. 12ba.The threads appear quite straight so hopefully thats your main problem.IMG_8144

Ian P
          Participant
            @ianp

Box tool, box cutter, running down tool are, I see, different names for the same thing. The OP’s lathe picture unfortunately does not show the business face of his cutter but presumably the rectangular plate has an orifice that shaves down the barstock.

Its not clear from the OP’s setup whether the lathe motor is reversible and/or whether the bar diameter reduction and thread cutting are done under power (or how bolt length is controlled) but since cutting forces must be very low, anything that could speed up making parts in 100’s is worth considering.

For the diameter reduction why not have a hole near a corner of the plate (without its box) for a pin in a ‘clevis’ mounted on the cross slide/carriage so that the plate can be swung in and out of position. I know feed would then be by the leadscrew but if, rather than the plate being trapped in a close fitting clevis, it was free to move (say 6mm) in the Z direction it could probably be fed by finger pressure up to a stop.

Once retracted and swung out of the way a tailstock mounted die can be employed. For 12BA I would be looking to mount the die in a homemade knurled holder floating on a shaft in the tailstock that keeps it in alignment.

Howard Lewis
            Participant
              @howardlewis46836

Using a Tailstock Sliding Die Holder should allow the Die to follow the work, so that does not profuce a drunken thread.

And since the load on the newly cut thread is minimal, it should be good.

Obviously lubricate; Trefolex or Rocol RTD

But put a chamfer on the end of the material to allow the Die to centre itself on the workpiece (Even if this means holding the work close to the chuck to cut the chamfer, and then pull it out to cut the full length of thread)

Also, don’t be too ambitious with the speed; even using a mandrel handle might be appropriate.

Howard

bernard towers
              Participant
                @bernardtowers37738

Howard says it all thats how I made the one in the above photo took less than 3 mins.

Ian P
                Participant
                  @ianp
                  On bernard towers Said:

Howard says it all thats how I made the one in the above photo took less than 3 mins.

So that would be five hours to make 100

Graham (OP) mentioned quantities of hundreds, methinks some job specific tooling is called for.

So far this thread has only discussed the threaded portion of the coachbolt, goodness knows how the squared section under the head is done-:) but I could see doing the domed top with a combined parting and form tool.

Ian P

Graham Green 3
                  Participant
                    @grahamgreen3

What most persons on here DO NOT SEEM TO understand is that the Box Tool is screwed onto the tailstock and would have to be removed,  for the Tailstock die holder to be then , either threaded onto, or pushed into the hollow of the tailstock. VERY TIME CONSUMING DOING THOSE OPERATIONS. The way i have been doing it is quite time EFFICIENT with the CORRECT 12 BA DIE.  That is why I am after that particular sized 12 BA die.

Graham Green 3
                    Participant
                      @grahamgreen3
                      On Ian P Said:
                      On bernard towers Said:

So that would be five hours to make 100

Graham (OP) mentioned quantities of hundreds, methinks some job specific tooling is called for.

So far this thread has only discussed the threaded portion of the coachbolt, goodness knows how the squared section under the head is done-:) but I could see doing the domed top with a combined parting and form tool.

Ian P

Is there any way of ADDING a PDF to a post on this forum AT ALL ? If I could add a PDF,  then it shows what I actually do to make 12 BA screws and why the HAND HELD die is what’s required for the amount of screws I need to make.

JasonB
                        @jasonb

Graham, if you go to your profile – gallery – create a gallert and set type to document then you can put a pdf into that.

As I suggested earlier an adaptation of the end of teh box tool to allow a dieholder to be slipped into place would save unscrewing it.  Having seen the tool since you have a lot of box to play with so it could fit to the end or swing into place a bit like my tailstock tool. At the most you would just have to slide teh tailstock back and lock it which is a lot faster than completely removing it from the nose thread.

When you say handheld die do you just offer it (and diestock?) upto the work? Simply applying pressure with the front end of your box tool would go a long way to reducing wobble as the die will be held against a flat surface so unable to wobble.

And my other tooling suggestions included an option for doming the head so it has also been mentioned.

If they are anything like the coach bolts that I make for models then the square under the head is not really needed, they seem to pull up tight enough without turning.

20240729_161238

Ian P
                        Participant
                          @ianp
                          On bernard towers Said:

This would fit your U3IMG_5950

Bernard you have an interesting looking lathe and accessories. Are the attachments commercially available or have you made them?

The ‘tailstock’ is definitely unusual.

Ian P

JasonB
                            @jasonb

Fairly standard Taig tailstock.

Nigel Graham 2
                            Participant
                              @nigelgraham2

Graham –

With great respect, your original question was not about production rate but thread accuracy.

You complained that the only dies you could buy are somehow too short. I am afraid you have missed the point many here have tried to explain.

They are not too short!

It is not the number of threads in the die that affects the truth of the thread, but the die’s alignment and the end condition of the material (they will inter-act).

Even with a deep die, you cannot hope to make clean, accurate threads with a hand-held die-holder without some means to guide that, and having faced and chamfered (by turning, not filing!) the rod end.

The simplest way with just the tools available, and one I use even when using a hand-held die to finish-profile a screw-cut thread, is to prepare the rod end as above, and gently to press the end of the tailstock barrel or something held in it, against the back of the die-holder to hold it square. I can’t guarantee it would work consistently in such small sizes as 12BA (a small thread to me, is 6BA!), but at least it would help.

Your complaint about alternative tools seems based on wanting to avoid two tailstock tool-changes per bolt. With hundreds to make that is understandable, but you have been offered various suggestions to solve that problem.

I don’t think you have told us your lathe’s tool-holding arrangements, but if you have a quick-change or four-way tool-post, could you mount the running-down tool in that, having arranged some means for repeatable concentricity and squareness? Its consistently accurate setting is critical; but it would allow the tailstock to hold a proper die-holder throughout the production run.

One or two have asked about screw-cutting. Well, that would depend on your workshop being equipped to grind a suitable tool, and your lathe being able to generate such a fine thread.

JasonB
                                @jasonb

I drew this before seeing your PDF. It still applies but can be even simpler. Prompted by mention elsewhere of pultra and their capstan units came to mind

Take a block of metal, machine two rebates along the bottom edge to form a spigot that is a close fit in the slot of the cross slide. Or simply screw a strip to the bottom if that is easier

Bore or drill a 6mm or so hole right through, counterbore to take a die 5/8″ diameter would do, add grub screw holes if needed to adjust die.

To use simply slide the tailstock with the box still attached to the right. Place your die holder into the slot and simply offer up to the rotating work. Cross slide will just need to be set to correct position for the first one.

box 2

I had included a simplified box tool on the other side of the block but may not be needed if you keep the existing one but would save having to keep moving the tailstock. Load is light and it would cut just by hand pressure to a preset stop.

box 1

Graham Green 3
                                Participant
                                  @grahamgreen3

Now that is a marvelous idea for the die to cut the threads, looks like I’ll have to do a bit of measuring and drawing then have a go at making it. Thank you very much Jason, I like it. As you stated the only thing is getting the cross slide to the exact spot for it to work correctly, but once that spot is found, a simple measurement will do to get back to it every time it’s required. Thanks again Jason, much appreciated.

Graham Green 3
                                  Participant
                                    @grahamgreen3
                                    On JasonB Said:

Graham, if you go to your profile – gallery – create a gallery and set type to document then you can put a pdf into that.

NOPE, tried that and got nowhere ——– just keep scrolling down to see all the photos —001002003004005006007008009010011

JasonB
                                      @jasonb

Proof of pudding or concept as the engineering types here may call it.

Well used jig piece that was milled to a sliding fit in the U3’s topslide approx 8mm wide. I then held a spotting drill in the U3 chuck and slid the block onto it which marked the position. It could be clamped to the topslid eand actually drilled and counter bored in situ but I moved to my mill. Located spot mark, drilled 4mm hole and then use d a couple of end mills to plunge 6mm deep x 5/8 to suit the die. Luckily the hole split a tapped My hole so I put a grub screw in there to stop the die turning. Die is 1/4″ nominal thickness and about half the back is hollowed out so approx 1/8″ length of tooth. 20 mins work (bit longer if all done on the U3)

Turned a bit of 1/8″ brass to 1.25mm and gave it a go just turning the pully by hand. Light downwards pressure and gentle towards the work and off it goes. Also did a longer one. No facing or chamfering of the bar, just the sawn end but at that size a quick lick with a file will do.

Phil P
                                      Participant
                                        @philp

If you make a die holder block to fit the cross slide, it “might” get in the way of your tailstock mounted box turning tool.

Could you obtain another spare tailstock for your lathe, and just swap between the two.
                                        One for reducing the diameter and one with a die holder for threading.

I use a spare tailstock on my Myford, one is the standard handwheel version for drilling etc, and I have another one with a capstan attachment for threading with a Coventry diehead.

I also made a saddle mounted tool for reducing the diameter of small barstock for making bolts and studs etc.
                                        Could you use your box turning tool mounted in a block on the cross slide, then use the tailstock for threading.

Phil

JasonB
                                          @jasonb

Phil You may have missed my video while you were typing

You just need to slide the tailstock to the end of the bed to use my idea of a cross slide block just as he is doing already in the PDF

The idea of the topslide block is so the box tool DOES not need removing or the whole tailstock changing. By using the slotted cross slide as the guide it means there is no messing about with the tailstock apart from simply moving it.

Even easier if the other side of the block were the box tool as per my sketches.

Box tool in use

20240926_115327

Plenty of room when box tool and tailstock moved to end of bed

20240926_115221

Hopper
                                          Participant
                                            @hopper

Fascinating stuff, and lovely models.

Could you make your own thicker die out of silver steel and harden and temper it?

JasonB
                                              @jasonb

Having proven the concept I’ve tarted up the 3D model.

final block

A bit more finger friendly and the flair at the bottom gives something to push down against which will help if you have oily fingers as will the grooves in the side.

Further options would be to make the key at the bottom from a separate piece held with two CSK screws. You could then remove it and if a couple of extra tapped holes were added to the top then a piece of round HSS could be held in the body enabling it to be used a bit like the Eccentric Turnado for free hand work.

As for repositioning the cross slide use could be made of the through hole if a piece of suitable bar were held in the chuck then just mve the slide in and out until the block slides over the bar. Or to save removing the die for each session make a spacer block that can drop in between the front of the slide where the carriage where the cross slide screw goes and the actual moving part of the cross slide.

bernard towers
                                              Participant
                                                @bernardtowers37738

Ian P sorry for the delay in answering but the tailstock turret is to my own design and most of the rest of the bits and pieces. The turret uses homemade ER16 collet chucks.IMG_5946

duncan webster 1
                                                Participant
                                                  @duncanwebster1

I think it was Radford who designed a quick change holder for the tailstock. A sort of dovetail slot on the end of a 2mt shank. With 2 holders this could turn and thread, with parting tool on cross slide. I find if you’re careful you can follow up a die using the tailstock handwheel, but not tried on anything as small as 12ba.

Ian P
                                                  Participant
                                                    @ianp
                                                    On bernard towers Said:

Ian P sorry for the delay in answering but the tailstock turret is to my own design and most of the rest of the bits and pieces. The turret uses homemade ER16 collet chucks.IMG_5946

I’m impressed Bernard that’s lovely work

Ian P

Ian P
                                                    Participant
                                                      @ianp

Seeing Jason’s brilliant suggestion for a ‘turnroundable’ block, hand held, that accomplishes a lot of the machining operations needed by Graham has prompted me to possibly throw a smallish spanner in the works.

For the threading to work the die would have to be an unsplit type and very very accurately on centre, or alternatively in a floating holder.

As Jason showed there is no difficulty accurately spotting and drilling (and even machining the die recess) in the lathe itself but to my mind

When I bought my lathe it came with a MT2 tailstock sliding dieholder nicely made by the previous owner. I use it with a reducer in the MT3 barrel and have produced hundreds of parts with M10, M8, 5/16 threaded parts with no problems. A couple of weeks ago I need to make some M6 screws 8mm (fairly short for me) and the first few I made were just rubbish with the threads being very loose fitting in tapped holes. I traced the reason to the cutting tips of the split die being off centre even though it was only slightly closed down. With the dieholder being well made and the tailstock barrel (and lathe) being quite rigid, one part of the die was acting a bit like single point threading tool.

Ian P

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 52 total)